What is the longest distance you have travelled from home ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasavak

I am fairly new to the forum and interested in the Leaf . I was wondering how far people can get from home if they use DC charging stations . I noticed a used Leaf for sale near Houston about 250 miles away from my home in Fort Worth . Is it feasible to do something like that ?

jasavak said:
I am fairly new to the forum and interested in the Leaf . I was wondering how far people can get from home if they use DC charging stations . I noticed a used Leaf for sale near Houston about 250 miles away from my home in Fort Worth . Is it feasible to do something like that ?

Go check out wwww.Plugshare.com and it will show where you may be able to charge. Be sure the filter for both "Fast Stations" and/or "High Power Stations" plus "Quick Charge - CHAdeMO" are selected and just turn all the others off.

TonyWilliams said:
Go check out http://www.Plugshare.com and it will show where you may be able to charge. Be sure the filter for both "Fast Stations" and/or "High Power Stations" plus "Quick Charge - CHAdeMO" are selected and just turn all the others off.
...said the man who drove pretty far from home indeed. Tony drove the first BC2BC (Baja California, Mexico to British Columbia, Canada) electric rally and is a rally organizer each year. http://wordpress.allelectricvehiclerally.org/ (edit) and he drove the first BC2BC when there were almost no quick chargers south of Oregon.

As long as you have the extra time during the trip to do all the charging needed, taking the Leaf on an extended trip is fun and somewhat exciting. However, you must remember that the Leaf is designed for a commuter car in your local area. For that purpose it is WONDERFUL, and we love ours.

When Graffi was about 1.5 months old we took her on a 115 mile each way (230 mile total) trip. In our ICE car we could have gotten 30+ mpg and made the entire drive in 3 hours (1.5 hours each way) without having to stop to full up. That is about $30 in fuel. At the time we were able to use one DCQC and two L2's each direction that were all free. Using our home rate it is about $7 of electricity total. The total trip was about 13 hours, with 3 hours spent at our destination, leaving 10 hours driving and charging. However, now that we have to either subscribe or pay the one time use rate at the DCQC's on the trip, to use the Leaf will be more expensive than buying gas, plus all the extra time of charging along the way. It was a fun Advenure trip, but we can no longer do that. It is just too inconvenient.

As long as the Leaf meets your daily commuting needs it is a wonderful vehicle. However, IMHO, you should not get it so you can save money on fuel for trips, because you will not. The exception are those who subscribe on a network that feeds them on their long distance route which is driven often.

Today I went to my furthest client which is 66 miles away one way. I only go to them 6 times a year. They live 3/4 of a mile away from a Nissan Dealer, So I drive to their office, drop off my tools and bags and then I drive to the Nissan Dealer and plug in and walk back to their office. usually I need 3 hours charge before I can go home.

I walked back to the car and there was 103 Miles on the GOM and off I went. I did 133 miles today.

TonyWilliams said:
jasavak said:

Go check out wwww.Plugshare.com and it will show where you may be able to charge. Be sure the filter for both "Fast Stations" and/or "High Power Stations" plus "Quick Charge - CHAdeMO" are selected and just turn all the others off.

I checked out that plugshare site and it seems there is no way to make it from Fort Worth to Houston without 8 hours of charging @ 6.6kw . The DC chargers are either too close to my home or too close to Houston to do any good . Too bad they don't put the chademos at every Walmart parking lot.

BTW , what model years have the 6.6kw charging available ?

I do 120 miles to Eugene, then 120 miles back somewhat often. It's pretty easy. I just stop for two, 15-minute quick charges each way.

I drive my car to Spokane, WA from Seattle, WA now and then. 2 dc quick charge stops (20 minutes each), and 3 level 2 stops (2 hours each) make for a 12 hour trip. Its just under 300 miles. Last year I continued 120 miles further to Priest lake, ID. 2 more level 2 charging stops. Another 6 hours. This year I just left the leaf in Spokane and carpooled with my sister to priest lake.

The furthest I have traveled is around 105 miles each way. We made a day trip out of it... planned the route around L2 charging... its easiest to charge when you have something to do like shop... eat.. sight see.. etc.

It was fun because it was a new experience for us... I still do longer trips when gas prices are high... im cheap!

jasavak said:
TonyWilliams said:
jasavak said:

I checked out that plugshare site and it seems there is no way to make it from Fort Worth to Houston without 8 hours of charging @ 6.6kw . The DC chargers are either too close to my home or too close to Houston to do any good . Too bad they don't put the chademos at every Walmart parking lot.

BTW , what model years have the 6.6kw charging available ?

I believe the 6.6Kw started in 13?

Why not look at some of the used ones that are available in the DFW area? Texas Nissan in Grapevine has a 2012 sv listed that only has 1200 miles on it.
Depending on how good you are at haggling and how flexible the dealer is on price, you could possibly get a better deal on a new one. For a purchase, Nissan is offering 0% for up to 72 months and 3500 cash, you may find that the payments would be less that a used model.
Also with the uncertainty of future value, battery degradation, and the rapidly changing EV technology a lease makes a lot of sense on this type of vehicle. With a lease, they take the $7500 federal credit off the top (as if it were additional downpayment) and it is possible that if you purchase you would not be eligible for the entire $7500 if any at all (that would depend on your personal tax situation).

Longest so far was about 200 miles round-trip. In a couple of weeks though, I plan on driving from north of San Francisco, to near Fullerton, CA.

Longest was Skokie to Elburn. 58 miles each way. Only l1 charging for a few couple hours at destination. Even at 8% degradation (259 gids), car can do about 95-100 very careful miles at 55. We even has the ac on and 5 in the car.

jasavak said:
Renting an F150 & a tow dolly would make short work of this problem.

jasavak said:
i did a 156 miles round trip (78 miles each way) from Ensenada Baja, Mexico to Chula Vista CA, USA. and it take me 12 hours to make it.
my 2012 Leaf don't have QC option, and the onboard charger is a 3.3 Kw, so it takes around 6 hours to charge from empty to 100%,
so you has to have a lot of things to do at you recharge destination until you be ready to comeback.
so a Leaf without 6.6 Kw charger and no CHAdeMO port, is a mission impossible to make long road trips.

146 miles one way from my home to Plug-in Day event in Normal, IL last fall. One stop for an hour and a half L2 and breakfast in Peru on the way down, and one stop in Peoria on the way home for about 2 hours L2 and dinner. Plugged in DCQC for 20 minutes across the tracks from the Plug-in event at city parking garage just to say I had done it, then switched to L2 while I went to the event. I changed routes to go through Peoria homeward because the Peru Nissan dealership had their L2 EVSE switched off when I showed up in the morning, and I didn't want to trust that it would be available after hours. Peoria has several L2 stations to choose from and it's only 104 miles from home (~20 miles more than Peru).Total round trip was 296 miles and 55.8 kwh by carwings reporting. If I had paid my normal 7 cents/kwh for all of it, it would be just over a gallon of gas in cost. As it was, I charged for free for 2/3 or more so it was less than a half gallon of gas equivalent out of pocket for almost 300 miles.

I've gone to Bellingham, WA a couple times from my home in Portland, OR, which is about 270 miles each way. I stop at about eight QC stations along the way; that makes the trip take at LEAST twice as long as in an ICE car - nine or ten hours or so, and pushes the battery temp up alarmingly (I try to start out at four or five bars in the morning, and drive conservatively, but by journey's end, I'm pushing eight bars). A friend takes her LEAF up to Seattle a bit more often (once every two or three months), which is a bit less of an ordeal but still no picnic. Plus we've driven out to Astoria (90 miles each way) just for the world-class fish&chips and a brief stroll on the beach (that's what the $20/month AV fast-charge network fees lead to).

I don't mind 1-2 QC stops but really 8 that's nuts.
Do you not have ice or rent one from getaround.Com

Or are you again efficient uses of fuel for highway trips and would rather take 8 hours for a trip?

Levenkay said:
I've gone to Bellingham, WA a couple times from my home in Portland, OR, which is about 270 miles each way. I stop at about eight QC stations along the way; that makes the trip take at LEAST twice as long as in an ICE car - nine or ten hours or so, and pushes the battery temp up alarmingly (I try to start out at four or five bars in the morning, and drive conservatively, but by journey's end, I'm pushing eight bars). A friend takes her LEAF up to Seattle a bit more often (once every two or three months), which is a bit less of an ordeal but still no picnic. Plus we've driven out to Astoria (90 miles each way) just for the world-class fish&chips and a brief stroll on the beach (that's what the $20/month AV fast-charge network fees lead to).

Back