What upgrade package to go for?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darandon

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get the feel for everyone's opinion to help me with my decision making process...

I have been looking at the 2013 SV model and also looking at the upgrade packages and debating on which one to get...

The LED and QC package seems to be nice because of the better visibility of the LED headlights (at least what i have heard), Lower power consumption (Dont know the numbers so any advice on this would be great) as well as the long life of them (I am not sure on this one as well because these are apparently different LED lights than the small PC or electronics ones)

On the other hand I do like the Bose and camera upgrade and its a shame that they don't allow individuals to get the Bose it on its own. I dont care that much about the camera because when reversing or parking I cant rely on a 7 inch LCD to tell me where I am... The car has good visibility and if an individual has a little skill they can park it anywhere.

In my area there is only 1 QC that is around 15 miles from my house so its not feasible to use it especially with the ""Stress"" that it can add to the battery. So now I am thorn apart between which of the 2 packages to go for. Going for both is too much on my budget... That is why i wanted to ask you folks here for your opinion and experience on which I should go for.

Any advice is appreciated.

It's a shame they link the LED headlights with the QC port, because they really have nothing to do with each other; I really like the LED's and glad they were "standard" on 2011/12 models. It's a big power savings if you do a lot of night driving (I don't).

It really comes down to whether or not you want QC or not (I didn't): it's not cheap and it's unlikely something you will use every day (impossible to have in a home).

As for the Bose upgrade (whether you like Bose or not--I don't), I would only get it if you REALLY are into music. I listen to a LOT of music in my Leaf, and I find the (standard) sound system adequate.

I also like the LED headlights but have not missed the QC. With 6.0 charging there is even less need for QC.
I like the camera, I could pass on the Bose.

What a mixed bag :|

If the options are pushing the budget I would skip both.

I think the camera will grow on you. I've read the same from others. Intially, I didn't pay much attention to it, but now really like it and make good use of it. I just wish the Tesla camera was as functional as the one on my '11 LEAF. Predictive course lines and range lines are nice.

ebill3 said:
I think the camera will grow on you. I've read the same from others. Initially, I didn't pay much attention to it, but now really like it and make good use of it. I just wish the Tesla camera was as functional as the one on my '11 LEAF. Predictive course lines and range lines are nice.
Except that this is the Around View Monitor, which I have been led to believe never uses more than half the screen for the backup view. I too love the predictive lines on my 2011, but I wonder if it will be as useful if it is only half size. On the other hand, people might fall in love with the other views as well.

Ray

Actually, it makes very little difference. The LEDs pull a total of 20 watts where as the typical low beam halogens pulls a total of 90 watts. So, you are talking a 70 watt difference. You'd barely be able to measure the change in range over a number of hours of driving...

Stanton said:
It's a shame they link the LED headlights with the QC port, because they really have nothing to do with each other; I really like the LED's and glad they were "standard" on 2011/12 models. It's a big power savings if you do a lot of night driving (I don't).

TomT said:
Actually, it makes very little difference. The LEDs pull a total of 20 watts where as the typical low beam halogens pulls a total of 90 watts. So, you are talking a 70 watt difference. You'd barely be able to measure the change in range over a number of hours of driving...

Stanton said:

Thanks for the response. Let me get this straight. The led package doesn't have LEDs for high beams and regular headlights? And also when you say low beams you don't reffer to daylight running lights correct? Sorry for the stupid question I'm not that good with the terminology.

Cheers.

ebill3 said:
I think the camera will grow on you. I've read the same from others. Intially, I didn't pay much attention to it, but now really like it and make good use of it. I just wish the Tesla camera was as functional as the one on my '11 LEAF. Predictive course lines and range lines are nice.

i was one of those who thought the camera was BS when I got the car. But I love it now and would not be without it.

bgt is bgt...so only you can decide.
i have never regretted adding a few things to a car that I keep 10 years.

Get the topmost model there is (SL I believe it is) with all the bells. Ultimately the payments will not set you back all that much more and you have the best car you can have.

ILETRIC said:
Get the topmost model there is (SL I believe it is) with all the bells. Ultimately the payments will not set you back all that much more and you have the best car you can have.

Agree with ILETRIC. I always go for the model with all the options. Never have to worry about the "what if..." and I know I will have every comfort and convenience option available to me, even if I choose not to use them.

DO you plan to purchase or lease?

Also, where are you located? that always helps. You can update your profile to include location.

I went through this exercise a couple weeks ago prior to settling on a stock SV

LEDs will not save you much, and can be costly should they break outside warranty. two 55 watt halogen bulbs = 110 watts. multiply that by 1 hour of driving = .1 kW/h. If a car averages 3-4 miles per kW/h that comes out to about 2 blocks of driving during that hour of operation. Insignificant.

Bose: I haven't listened to it, but the stock 2013 speakers aren't that bad for casual listening. My Ford has an 8" alpine unit, infinity speakers and a JL sub. It doesn't compare, but I don't mind the Leaf's. Also the 50% power savings on the Bose is a gimick as the stock speakers do not even register in the energy consumption menu. Lastly I didn't like the space the Bose sub occupied in the trunk area.

Camera: Nice feature, but I'm coming from a larger vehicle w/o camera. Smaller cars are easier to park.

QC port: If I had to pick 1 option, I'd get this one. Quick chargers are rare, but they'll be extremely convenient. Although the the battery impact is a concern. In the end I wanted to stay cost conscious and with the 6.6 kW/h OBC, I felt it was a good balance.

My $0.02

Phatcat73 said:
I went through this exercise a couple weeks ago prior to settling on a stock SV

LEDs will not save you much, and can be costly should they break outside warranty. two 55 watt halogen bulbs = 110 watts. multiply that by 1 hour of driving = .1 kW/h. If a car averages 3-4 miles per kW/h that comes out to about 2 blocks of driving during that hour of operation. Insignificant.

Bose: I haven't listened to it, but the stock 2013 speakers aren't that bad for casual listening. My Ford has an 8" alpine unit, infinity speakers and a JL sub. It doesn't compare, but I don't mind the Leaf's. Also the 50% power savings on the Bose is a gimick as the stock speakers do not even register in the energy consumption menu. Lastly I didn't like the space the Bose sub occupied in the trunk area.

Camera: Nice feature, but I'm coming from a larger vehicle w/o camera. Smaller cars are easier to park.

QC port: If I had to pick 1 option, I'd get this one. Quick chargers are rare, but they'll be extremely convenient. Although the the battery impact is a concern. In the end I wanted to stay cost conscious and with the 6.6 kW/h OBC, I felt it was a good balance.

My $0.02

Wow i didnt know the difference was that small for the headlights.

The sound system is the only thing that I like to have sound nice in the vehicle. It makes long drives more relaxed so i think i might end up going for the Bose and camera feature and avoid the LED headlights and QC. I know they would look nicer but the benefit of them is not that much for range, the QC stations wont be available here anytime soon and I dont think i will use them much even if they are available for the battery's health. I am planning to buy it btw so i will need to pamper it :p The 6.6KW is a must so i think that will suit my needs.

Have any of you got any deals from the dealers on these features? (I.E. lower cost than advertised?)

planet4ever said:
ebill3 said:
I think the camera will grow on you. I've read the same from others. Initially, I didn't pay much attention to it, but now really like it and make good use of it. I just wish the Tesla camera was as functional as the one on my '11 LEAF. Predictive course lines and range lines are nice.
Except that this is the Around View Monitor, which I have been led to believe never uses more than half the screen for the backup view. I too love the predictive lines on my 2011, but I wonder if it will be as useful if it is only half size. On the other hand, people might fall in love with the other views as well.

Ray
I sat in and played with a pre-release (engineering unit) MY2013 Leaf and checked out the AVM. The "all camera" view actually only takes up about 1/4 to 1/4 of the screen. The main portion of the screen can be either the backup camera (with the same lines) or the forward camera. Also, the "all camera" portion can be switched to show only a downward view from the right-side mirror, use for parallel parking.

Back