Whats your range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlouisleaf

The subject was recently brought up about "real world range" and that got me interested. The last two charges I have noted driving conditions and mileage per charge.

In the first case I did a mix of driving. Highway and local roads. Day and night. Temps ranged from 40 to 70. Heat on and no heat required. Some spirited driving and some conservative cruising. A true mix of conditions. Pulled into the garage with 63 miles spent and the range remaining at 19 miles. Given my experience thus far, the estimated range seems very accurate towards the end of a charge. Thus it looks like in mixed conditions my car has a range of aprox 82 miles.

The second test was all night driving with headlights on, often brights, temps at 40 so cabin heater on plus 2 seat heaters. Some local roads but mostly highway at speeds between 55-70. Upon returning home I had driven 60 miles and had an estimated remaining range of 13 miles. While perhaps no worst case scenario this trip wasn't far off and yet we still end with a total range of 73 miles.

What I don't have is a fresh "near optimal conditions" test but as i recall those days were yielding total ranges of low 90s and that was without babying the car at all.

Thus my actual range in real world conditions is 65-100 miles per full charge. Plenty for me, even living out in the Exurbs and driving into the city on a regular basis.

Love my Leaf ;-)

Mine is about the same as yours - although I don't count every last mile of reserve as range! The other night I drove to work and home with the heat on virtually every minute, used Normal (Sport!) mode about 1/3 of the time, and drove 46 miles, IIRC, with 24% charge remaining. The roads were about 1/3 55MPH, 1/3 40-45MPH, and 1/3 30MPH. There are several large hills on my commute. Temps were around 38F. I did a couple of 'jackrabbit starts' but kept to about 57MPH on the highways.

My range typically starts out somewhere between 80 and 95 miles on the LEAF's calculator.

I drive 42 miles round-trip to the office over city streets and the highway where cars typically do 75-85 mph.

It seems that if traffic is congested, I'll sometimes show up at the office having only used a handful of miles. If traffic is light and I'm driving 75, those miles really diminish.

But somehow, I always seem to come back home with around 45 miles left on the LEAF. Meaning I got around 85 miles range in total. I average 5.6miles/kWh driving around the suburbs but my total always comes back to around 4.2miles/kWh after I've been commuting a few days.

This will be my first winter driving the LEAF. The weather here in Atlanta, GA is fairly mild, but I'm waiting to see how my numbers change.

I'm also curious to see how "pre-heating" the car will work. I set it the other morning and came out to find the car was only showing 80 miles range on a full charge and wondered what was happening? But then, again, when I got home, it showed I had used up about 40 miles of an 85 mile range.

I know, that kind of consistency isn't very interesting...but it's COMFORTING all the same!

P.S. I drive in "Eco mode" most of the time -- even on the highway. I like the "pull" on deceleration that's mildly like a stick shift!

;-)

When it was new, I planned on a range of about 80 miles in Eco (a good part of my travels are on roads and freeways that are not level)... Now with battery degradation, it is about 25% less...

Range new: 80-85 miles in D without much of a care for economy.

Range now: 65-68 miles when driven VERY carefully in ECO (though it would probably be north of 70 miles without the tire change to Michelin Primacy MXV4s).

Well, I happened to stretch my 2.5yo LEAF with a capacity bar gone this last weekend. I didn't think I was going to, but I did a couple of 60 mile round trips to the airport and the first time ended hitting VLBW about five miles short of the house (thank Turbo3 for LEAF Spy)...and that was with limiting myself to 60mph, and then 50mph (and finally 40 those last five miles) on the way back. I did a little better the second time by using a couple of surface streets to eliminate a third of the freeway driving, but I still hit VLBW just as made I the last turn onto my block. So, I figure I probably would have hit the turtle short of the 70 mile mark. I've got to think that by next summer I wouldn't be able to do that trip. Good thing my lease is up in May.

davewill said:
Well, I happened to stretch my 2.5yo LEAF with a capacity bar gone this last weekend. I didn't think I was going to, but I did a couple of 60 mile round trips to the airport and the first time ended hitting VLBW about five miles short of the house.
How fast were you driving? I managed to drive 50 miles today on a 80% charge (50-50 mix of city/freeway, freeway at indicated 65-67 mph). Hit LBW at just over 45 miles, got home at just over 50 miles, 4.4 mi/kWh and 36 GIDs remaining, so still another 6 miles or so left at least. Still disappointing that I used to get over 50 miles before LBW in similar conditions. With more/better charging infrastructure it'd be less of an issue 90% of the time, though.

60 miles is about the maximum I currently plan on a 100% charge which typically gets me home around LBW.

Very interesting, keep those posts coming. I guess I am even more glad I leased after hearing about battery loss after 30-40k. I turn mine back in at 20k. Hopefully they will have better range by then.

Meanwhile it is just enough, generally driving home with the 15miles left blinking warning but thats cool. Have not seen the dreaded turtle yet, hah but cutting it close on a regular basis.

Cold winter temps should be interesting to see what effect they have. Love the preheating function using Carwings app set on timer. Getting in a toasty car rocks especially with all the juice coming from my garage vs the onboard batteries ;) Also, interested to see how the Leaf handles in snow...

When new my winter range was about 80 miles, with about 2500 feet of elevation change, eight miles of dirt road, speed ranging from 25 mph to 60 mph with 35 mph and 60 mph predominant. Typical winter temperatures for that route are 20s to 30s F (it tends to be warm because it goes down to low altitude: 5760 feet). No heater use; this is sunny Colorado and the car can bake in the sun even when it is 20ºF outside.

Now my winter range is down to about 70 miles over that route.

All of that is on (mostly) dry roads. I don't try to stretch the range in snow; I have a '96 Jeep Cherokee for driving in snow, although it is rarely used except for long trips.

I am about 7 months in and ~10,000 miles. I consistently get 80-85 miles 100%-VLBW depending on route this summer.

This will be my first winter in the Leaf. The temps recently dropped into the 30's F and I am noticing a ~10 mile range loss. No big deal since I dont plan on taking the car on longer trips anymore.. I leased and am way over on miles right now.

I am 8 months in and 11,000 miles. I have not experienced any significant loss in range (knock on wood). When I charge to 100% (4 days/wk) I see 95-105 miles on the GOM. I manage 4.5-5.0 km/kWh on my 65 mile round trip to work and generally come home with about 35 miles on the GOM. My commute is a 40/60 mix of surface streets and highway. My rush-hour commuting highway speeds average about 30-65 mph (in the carpool lane :D). Weather has not been a factor.

On Veterans Day the 405 freeway was clear and I drove full speed (75-80 mph, along with everyone else!) the entire highway portions. Averaged about 3.8 km/kWh that day. Came home with 2 bars but no LBW. It may be my imagination but I wonder if Nissan tweaked the battery or power management system on the '13s? It seems like they are not losing range as fast as the earlier models.

Edit: oops, I meant 4.5-5.0 mi/kWh not km/kWh

Re: Whats your range?
EditReport this postQuote
Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:35 pm

I am 8 months in and 11,000 miles. I have not experienced any significant loss in range (knock on wood). When I charge to 100% (4 days/wk) I see 95-105 miles on the GOM. I manage 4.5-5.0 km/kWh on my 65 mile round trip to work and generally come home with about 35 miles on the GOM. My commute is a 40/60 mix of surface streets and highway. My rush-hour commuting highway speeds average about 30-65 mph (in the carpool lane :D). Weather has not been a factor.

On Veterans Day the 405 freeway was clear and I drove full speed (75-80 mph, along with everyone else!) the entire highway portions. Averaged about 3.8 km/kWh that day.

I posted this 20 months ago so I figure it's time for an update:

Things have changed, and not in a good way. With 40,000 miles and 11 bars, my initial enthusiasm for the LEAF has morphed into a frustrating struggle to avoid being stranded. A typical 100% charge now indicates about 70 miles of range instead of 95-105 (@4.1-4.6 mi/kWh). On my round trip to work I often hit VLBW 3 miles from home. I regularly see "---" on both the GOM and on the % charge indicator. Forget about using A/C, forget about going out for lunch, forget about keeping up with fast traffic in the carpool lane (the primary reason I got the Leaf). Each drive home must be strategically planned to maximize the 52-54% charge I have left. Getting stuck in traffic is now a "good thing" because it slows the power drain. Thankfully it's been a cool summer and I haven't needed A/C much (knock on wood).

So with 8 months left on my lease, I'm concerned I'll eventually not make the round trip. It's too bad because other than this issue and the grippy brakes, the Leaf has been outstanding.

Question: Does anyone know if Nissan would take a Leaf back early w/o requiring payment of the remaining lease payments? I know this is a long shot but in my mind I made a deal with Nissan-- I pay them a monthly fee and they provide a reliable mode of transportation for the life of the lease. It started out this way but I feel Nissan has reneged on their end. Any advice appreciated!

shortcircuit said:
... With 40,000 miles and 11 bars, my initial enthusiasm for the LEAF has morphed into a frustrating struggle to avoid being stranded.
Question: Does anyone know if Nissan would take a Leaf back early w/o requiring payment of the remaining lease payments? I know this is a long shot but in my mind I made a deal with Nissan-- I pay them a monthly fee and they provide a reliable mode of transportation for the life of the lease. It started out this way but I feel Nissan has reneged on their end. Any advice appreciated!
I understand the difficulty.
I have lost two capacity bars soon to be three in less than 30,000 miles and bit over four years.
Car is great for short range retiree driving, but the ability to do a 32 mile roundtrip to downtown is getting marginal.
For more than a year the Nissan DCQC downtown made it work.
Then it broke, they are defective like the LEAF battery.
So now downtown trip takes long L2 if you want margin.

Lease early termination unlikely unless you negotiate something while leasing or purchasing another Nissan vehicle.

TimLee said:
...Lease early termination unlikely unless you negotiate something while leasing or purchasing another Nissan vehicle.
Like a 30 kWh 2016 model? That might be an interesting option for shortcircuit. That extra range cushion ought to be plenty for a new lease period.

Just lost my 2nd bar today on the way to work. :? 39,800 miles. I lost the first one around 35,000 miles even though my range was severely decreased way before then. Nissan gave my battery the thumbs-up on my last battery check in March. Go figure.

dgpcolorado, as much as I like the LEAF, I'm not so sure I can deal with its limitations again-- even with a slightly larger battery pack. Besides, by the time my lease is up I'll have already been on Plan B since I doubt my current Leaf will be taking me to work.

shortcircuit said:
Just lost my 2nd bar today on the way to work. :? 39,800 miles. I lost the first one around 35,000 miles even though my range was severely decreased way before then. Nissan gave my battery the thumbs-up on my last battery check in March. Go figure.
The standard battery test has little to do with capacity loss and pretty much everybody gets a good score. I trust that you know that losing the first capacity bar represents about 15% of capacity loss and each subsequent bar is about 6.25%. But the car has to be below the threshold for some time (weeks or months, I think) before the bar drops, to avoid having it turn on and off as battery readings fluctuate with temperature and use. The gradual loss of range should be quite noticeable by the time the bar drops. As it was for you.
dgpcolorado, as much as I like the LEAF, I'm not so sure I can deal with its limitations again-- even with a slightly larger battery pack. Besides, by the time my lease is up I'll have already been on Plan B since I doubt my current Leaf will be taking me to work.
You asked if you could get out of a lease early and Tim Lee suggested that it was "unlikely" unless you were to buy or lease another Nissan car. A 30 kWh LEAF would make your commute easily for many years and the newer "lizard" battery should last longer in heat than the old one. That's why I mentioned it.

"Real World Range" means different things to different people. For some drivers, "real world" means never traveling at less than 10 mph over the speed limit, for various reasons. Some suspect they will be gruesomely murdered for adhering to the speed limit, or at best suffer a lifetime of lasting humiliation :lol: . Disabusing oneself of that notion yields a significant and immediate boost to "Real World Range". ;)

When our 2012 was fairly new, I did get over 100 miles on it (once). Range for any other "real-world" trips were a function of how far I had to go vs. how conservative I was willing to drive. It was fairly rare for me to have to do serious range-stretching but I did on occasion have legs over 80 mostly freeway miles. I lost my first capacity bar just a month before I returned the lease.

So far, the 2015 seems to have a more robust battery.

I definitely think leasing is the way to go. Lots of cars on the horizon promising greater range. We have just fired the very first shots of the EV revolution.

Back