Which trim level?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnqh

I am considering purchasing a Leaf as my wife's daily commuter.

We live in San Francisco. The climate is mild. Her workday commute is about 10 miles. Annual mileage should be about 7000 miles. The car will be mainly used in the city, so the GPS is not necessary. I do like the rearview camera.

The question is which trim level to get. I have some quotes on S w/ Charger package and SV w/ Premium Package and the price difference is about $3700.

Would like to hear from owners in similar usage pattern. Do you feel the additional features in SV is worth the additional $?

Similar to your situation, I was planning to lease an S w/charger but ended-up leasing an SV with Premium Package after going on a test drive with one. I liked the light-colored interior (not available on the S), the nicer center stack, and the alloy wheels.

Like you, I really didn't need the navigation system but the screen is used for other things like stereo integration, charge timer, XM traffic, finding charging stations, etc. Most importantly the SV has the Carwings system so you can determine your level of charge at any time and turn on/off climate control remotely from your iPhone. I like a good sound system and the Premium Package provided a stereo with better midrange and bass compared to the stock system. The 4-camera backup display comes in useful for tight situations and, more importantly, will impress your friends. ;-)

shortcircuit said:
Similar to your situation, I was planning to lease an S w/charger but ended-up leasing an SV with Premium Package after going on a test drive with one. I liked the light-colored interior (not available on the S), the nicer center stack, and the alloy wheels.

Like you, I really didn't need the navigation system but the screen is used for other things like stereo integration, charge timer, XM traffic, finding charging stations, etc. Most importantly the SV has the Carwings system so you can determine your level of charge at any time and turn on/off climate control remotely from your iPhone. I like a good sound system and the Premium Package provided a stereo with better midrange and bass compared to the stock system. The 4-camera backup display comes in useful for tight situations and, more importantly, will impress your friends. ;-)

Thanks for the replay.

CarWing is nice, and alloy wheels are nice (rust problems from ocean mist in SF). However, it comes down to whether it is worth the additional money.

In addition, I do think the Quick Charger will be important in 5 years (I plan to keep it for 8 to 10 years, and that shouldn't be a problem in our climate). For SV, I would have to get both the premium package and LED/Quick Charge Package to have both Quick Charger and camera. That pushes it close to SL level.

So, I am looking at
S w/Charger Package.
SV w/Premium Package. + $3700.
SV w/Premium Package & LED/Quick Charge Package. + $4500.
SL w/Premium Package. + $6000? (Haven't gotten a quote)

If SV w/Premium Package & LED/Quick Charge Package is only +3000, I would have picked this package. However, at +4500, I am not that sure.

With such a short commute (just like mine), I would look seriously at a used 2011. Prices in the $15k range at auction are looking pretty good right now, especially if you can't get the $7500 tax credit. I bought mine and will keep it until the electrons stop coming out. I still love it, but boy, that full MSRP back in 2011 is looking pretty steep.

I would rather have the S + charge package myself, but I am a simple man with simple needs. I don't need or use Carwings or navigation. I hate fighting with the climate control computer and pushing buttons a dozen times to try to get it to do what I want; I'd much rather have dials to control vent, heat, and A/C the way the S does. I don't care what the interior looks like, and I'm not trying to impress anyone. The one thing I would miss on the S compared to what I have now is cruise control. Well, that and I have my doubts whether the back-up camera could be as useful on the tiny screen.

On the other side of the coin, for me the biggest argument for the SV or SL would be the heat pump.

Ray

If the car is really just going to be used for the short commute and nothing more then the S will be fine. In fact, Reddy's suggestion of a used LEAF in this situation makes me think that you might even want to ask about discounts on the remaining 2012 LEAFs available to you locally. A quick search on Autotrader found 5 new 2012 LEAFs and 2 new 2011 LEAFs in the bay area - Sunnyvale and Napa Nissan have the 2011s. Keep in mind that if they were officially designated "demos" then the warranty clock has already started, but that's a question you could ask the dealer and a warranty extension could be arranged. But if you're willing to go with the older model it might be worth inquiring about prices, especially since as new cars they still have all the tax credits available. Note that 2011 and 2012 LEAFs had only 2 trim lines and few option packages.

Another thought, especially if you are going to keep it 8-10 years, you might find, as many of us have, that once you have the car you start using it for a lot more driving than you intended. Given the cost savings + fun to drive + joy of not polluting a lot of us use the LEAF for every trip that it is capable of making - perhaps it will become the car of choice for weekend trips or you find you swap cars with your wife on days where you have a longer trip. In that case the QC port (especially in the bay area, where so many are available) will be a huge benefit, and if you are making longer trips with the car you may find you want more of the premium features.

One thing I strongly recommend in the city is the rear view camera - on the 2013 this isn't available on the SV or SL so you need the premium package for the around view monitor.

The annoying part is to get both Quick Charge and camera on SV, I would have to get both LED/Quick Charge package and Premium Package, while this is a single S Charger package on S. That makes it a +4500 price difference...

johnqh said:
The annoying part is to get both Quick Charge and camera on SV, I would have to get both LED/Quick Charge package and Premium Package, while this is a single S Charger package on S. That makes it a +4500 price difference...

No argument about the annoyance factor of the 2013 packages.

I normally want SL - but kids won't tolerate leather (not an option in 2012). So I would have to look at SV and forgo the Homelink (how, in 2013, can homelink be considered a luxury option???) and the solar panels (admittedly more style than function). On the SV, to get my loved rear view camera I have to get the premium package with a sound system I don't care about. I'd also have to get the LED package which actually is pretty good - I hate having a car without auto headlights and fog lights (this is 2013, after all) and the LED headlights save some battery - QC is either essential or pointless depending on where you live and QC charger availability. I'd also have to buy the rear cargo cover separately.

Back