While You Wait - The Mounting Costs of "Pending"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCev

So, I kept putting it off with the hope that something would happen to make my LEAF materialize in the garage but I finally caved and renewed the registration on my current car - on the last day before late penalties were to be assessed. It was only $160, but it did get me thinking about the maintenance, fuel and other operating costs associated with my current car that continue to mount while I "patiently" await delivery of my precious blue LEAF. Between my originally expected delivery date of late-December to early January and April 2011, I expect those costs to total $750-875.

I fully realize that I would have born these expenses were the LEAF not to market and I'm not in any way blaming Nissan. If anything this thought exercise makes me look forward to the day that I don't have to worry about serpentine belts, oil changes, transmission fluid and gasoline.

So, a question for all the "LEAFless", "pending" and "not-yet-able-to-order": How much will your ICE cost you between now and your estimated delivery?

Many of the signficant costs continue even if you had the LEAF:
1. Insurance (more?)
2. Registration (varies, more in CA)
3. Fuel Costs (depends on e-rates)
4. Brake Fluid change (more)
5. New car payments (more than old car maint)
6. Wash & Wax (probably more)
7. etc.

Of course some costs would be less:
1. Oil & Filter change
2. Smog Checks
3. etc.

LBCev said:
So, a question for all the "LEAFless", "pending" and "not-yet-able-to-order": How much will your ICE cost you between now and your estimated delivery?
$0 - I've been carless, waiting for an EV, for just about 2 years now... The last repair on my car was going to cost about $2,500 (head gasket replacement) and I said no way.

For what it's worth though, I'll be spending $88/month for my transit fare and will probably use a Zipcar on a couple of days ($69 per 24 hour period) between now and April.

1. Insurance (more?)- mine stayed "about" the same, but i am currently covered for a "Nissan/Altima" not a Leaf so we shall see what the real rates are soon.

2. Registration (varies, more in CA) no difference here
3. Fuel Costs (depends on e-rates) at 10 cents per kwh after connection charge, taxes, etc. its MUCH cheaper for electricity than gas.

4. Brake Fluid change (more) ok, why? had not heard this one. seems that will more reliance on regen (granted less than a Prius) means less wear on brakes?

5. New car payments (more than old car maint) hard to deny that since i went from 3 cars all paid for to a lease for $162 a month for 3 years with a $15,600 balloon payment its an adjustment for me anyway

6. Wash & Wax (probably more) umm, well since i violated my own wash policy (not washing in winter since it rains so much and car gets dirty fast) by washing car before its trip to see PluginOlympia.com owner for interview. what can i say, low Cd means the back end collects dirt just like a Prius

7. etc. Ok, got me on that one!! i admit i am finding excuses to go somewhere!!

In the case of my BMW, which is what the Leaf will be replacing, nothing other than gas (it averages about 28mpg). There is no scheduled maintenance due nor is the registration or insurance up until June. But if you consider that the BMW was long ago paid for, the Leaf will actually cost me much more on a monthly basis...

LBCev said:

These delays could benefit many financially because they now will have the possibility of new opportunities:

Some will find the car was not the right choice after user experiences and cancel
Some may get the new potential "instant" $7500 rebate and possibly even reduced sales tax on the sale amount
Some realized they did not need to rush and buy a overpriced junk EVSE or one from an incompetent supplier
Some will get to take advantage of new EVSE rebates in the Bay Area
Some may also find there may be new "free" EVSE programs coming to the Bay Area, the same type others are benefiting from (hint)
Some won't have to replace the center consul "hot tub" trim because the did not see pictures first
Some will have more time to postpone the imminent "orphaning" of their LEAF giving them more "virtual" buyer time

I'm sure the savings list goes on and on:)

For me, it would be MUCH less expensive to keep driving my paid-for 2000 Honda Civic GX. The price of cng is only $1.75/gge and it usually doesn't increase because of higher gasoline prices. My registration fees were only $23 for TWO years and because of the great mileage (and two tanks), I only refuel about once a month. BUT, I want to stop using our natural resources so I'm willing to pay the price. I'm not going to be driving a LEAF to save money.

I fully realize that I would have born these expenses were the LEAF not to market and I'm not in any way blaming Nissan. If anything this thought exercise makes me look forward to the day that I don't have to worry about serpentine belts, oil changes, transmission fluid and gasoline.

Is your current car paid off? How many miles does your current car have?

Sure, your current car needs an annual registration and some maintenance but depending on where you are in the ownership time line, it is typical that a new car will always be more expensive. The monthly payment and down payment need to be factored in to the total cost. So if you're paying $250 a month but the Leaf will be $450, there's a $200 difference. Since it's a new car, probably a higher registration, too.

Maintenance on a gasoline engine is very minimal today. Things you mentioned like serpentine belts, transmission fluid changes and such are all items that don't get replaced until 60,000 miles or 5 years of driving. Oil changes are $25 every 6 months.

So comparing the savings on gasoline need to be weighed against all the money required to buy the Leaf-down payment, usually a higher monthly payment, a couple thousand dollars for the EVSE. Once you add those in, it's not going to be the savings you think.

LEAFfan said:
For me, it would be MUCH less expensive to keep driving my paid-for 2000 Honda Civic GX. The price of cng is only $1.75/gge and it usually doesn't increase because of higher gasoline prices. My registration fees were only $23 for TWO years and because of the great mileage (and two tanks), I only refuel about once a month. BUT, I want to stop using our natural resources so I'm willing to pay the price. I'm not going to be driving a LEAF to save money.

Plus you have solar:)

It is going to change shortly in California:

"AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system."

The requirement that cars four years old or newer do not need to be tested, and the testing period of every other year, will be retained. For the first time, Hybrids 2000 MY and newer will also be subject to testing under the new requirements.

DaveinOlyWA said:
emission check? we have to do that? driving Priuses over the last 7 years has put me out of the loop.

Hello,
I'm no longer in pendingtory (3/3/2011 del est) but sold my 95 Toyota Tercel (34~38 mpg) commuter in Dec. I am now driving my 1984 GMC van (11.5 winter mpg) until my leaf arrives. Since that time I have spent more $$$$ on fuel than the Leaf requires in an entire year (best est). So, in my case the delays are costing me extra but it's my fault for changing colors (silver to red) after the option had be locked out on my dashboard. The leaf is a perfect fit for us. The interior is luxurious compared to the Tercel which I was planning to convert myself but found the cost was so close to the Leaf (after incentives) that I decided to forgo a years worth of work for the conversion. Of course had I proceeded, the conversion would have been done last fall and I'd already be driving electric. :)

My daily driver had a clutch/transmission glitch last week that took $6400 to clean up. I would have sold it already had the Leaf shown up. However, then some other guy would have been stuck with the mega-bill on his brand-new used car... bad karma for me. So it's better this way, probably.

DeaneG said:
My daily driver had a clutch/transmission glitch last week that took $6400 to clean up. I would have sold it already had the Leaf shown up. However, then some other guy would have been stuck with the mega-bill on his brand-new used car... bad karma for me. So it's better this way, probably.
Am I reading correctly ? :shock: More than SIX THOUSAND ? What is the vehicle, its worth, and why not "dump" it (before spending that kind of money) and rent/borrow a car ?

LEAFer said:
DeaneG said:
Am I reading correctly ? :shock: More than SIX THOUSAND ? What is the vehicle, its worth, and why not "dump" it (before spending that kind of money) and rent/borrow a car ?

I was thinking the same.

Back