Will Nissan honor a new battery cell 2018 Nissan Leaf with 101,000 ( five years old)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthomson321

Good Afternoon,

I’m looking for honest guidance on the following:

My 2018 Nissan Leaf received a message stating “service ev system, will not turn on once off”

I changed the 12v battery, cleared the codes and the vehicle ran fine for a week until I got the same message.

I brought it to the Nissan dealership , I was told it’s 1000 miles over the warranty but within the duration of the warranty ( five years). I was advised to contact Nissan corporate customer claims.

After speaking with them, I was told it was out of warranty bc it was 1000 miles over but they will try to make a case under “goodwill” i was advised it may need a new battery ( worst case scenario) or replace a bad cell. Corporate is running with the worst case scenario since Nissan’s mechanics cannot diagnose the true problem until they drop the battery.

Has anyone read any similar stories? I found it ironic, never having a problem with the Leaf, once the battery warranty ran up, I got a service ev system code.

Have other customers had their warranties honored under “goodwill” after slightly being over the warranty???

Thank you

Welcome. Nissan has gone both ways on this issue. Gen I Leaf drivers have had to endure things like having a warranty replacement refused because the odometer crossed 60,000 miles on the drive to the dealership...

I've never heard of any Leaf having a problem or codes once the battery warranty ran up. It may be a coincidence in your case.
My 2018 is low on miles (28K) and has 5 years of service. I haven't experienced any problems so far.

Nissan adheres to the letter of the contract. 100,000 miles and one inch will be happily rejected. Nothing prevents Nissan from changing its policy or making an exception, but don't hold your breath

There was an anecdote told on the forum by an owner who was eligible for pack replacement based on the loss of the 9th capacity bar and car age. He brought the car on a Friday into the dealership for them to verify by Nissan required testing the eligibility. The dealership did not have time that day, so the owner took the car home and returned on Monday. On Monday the car had passed the applicable 5 year limit for that car, and on that basis Nissan rejected the warranty claim.

Yeah

Similar stories are a dime a dozen. Nissan also ignores car performance when weak cells nerf the car, and will only consider warranty care if a Nissan determined threshold that leads to a DTC (engine check light) is thrown.

To put it mildly, I sold my Nissan LEAF last year and I'm done with Nissan. I was never in a position to have to suffer that sort of corporate BS, and I don't intend to make myself available.

I'm with Leftie on this. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20725 had a fight on his hands but luckily, Nissan honored it with him being 2 miles over. I'm guessing his car was delivered new with more than 2 miles on it.

But, I wouldn't be too optimistic. OP is 1000 miles over. That's a lot. Nissan's under no obligation to cover any of the cost. Maybe they might throw the OP a bone and cover part of the cost of a new pack.

Your 2018 Nissan Leaf battery will consistently last between 3 to 5 years, but that can vary heavily depending on weather conditions battery size, type of battery, and driving habits.

garybenjamin said:
Your 2018 Nissan Leaf battery will consistently last between 3 to 5 years, but that can vary heavily depending on weather conditions battery size, type of battery, and driving habits.
This statement is pessimistic and misleading. Only one battery size and type was available in 2018 LEAF's delivered to the USA. My 2019 SL Plus still shows 12 capacity bars after 4 years and 3 months with over 74,000 miles driven in Phoenix, AZ. Therefore, I anticipate several more years before capacity drops to the point of needing replacement. Batteries should last even longer in cooler climates.

Back