Window Tinting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine to Solar Eclipse in Woodland Hills. CTX Ceramic Tint all around and on the top of the windshield was $270. I used 50% on the front windows and 20% on everything else. Alan there did a great job.

Here is their web page: http://www.solareclipsecorp.com/

And yelp listing: http://www.yelp.com/biz/solar-eclipse-c ... land-hills

intrepion said:
Finally received the pictures from the tinting place! I did 40% Crystalline Tint from Elite Window Tinting in Clackamas, Oregon. It costs $800 for 7 windows. I didn't do the top strip of the windshield, but it's around $80 extra.

Before Pictures

After Pictures
IBELEAF said:
Are you sure before and after are not the same?
The lighting kinda got in the way of hightlighting the difference, but I think the car does look different before and after, especially when comparing the darkness of the windshield (no tint, before and after) and the side windows:

Before: windhshield and side windows have same degree of tint:
P6070298.JPG

After: side windows have much darker tint:
P6080303.JPG

I had mine done yesterday... "50" in the front (clearest tint) and "20" in the back (med-dark). There was a medium tint (35") and super-dark "limo" tint. They came out to the house and it took maybe 2 hours - very clean job for $165 all-in. Highly recommended.

If anyone wants contact info, PM me.

This is the first car I've ever had without extra tinting. If I owned the car, I probably would tint, but since I'm leasing I'm going to wait. I've been surprised so far how cool it stays without the tinting and I even have all the seats covered with a little darker material. Even when driving, the A/C works so much better (to keep me cool enough) than any other car I've owned, I can save for other things rather than tinting. Does anyone own an ICE car where the A/C begins cooling immediately upon starting when it has been sitting in the over 100 degree sun for hours? All of mine always took a few minutes and I had to keep my windows down until it put out cool air. Maybe the tinted glass they use now does a better job blocking the heat than on older cars.

IBELEAF said:
intrepion said:
Finally received the pictures from the tinting place! I did 40% Crystalline Tint from Elite Window Tinting in Clackamas, Oregon. It costs $800 for 7 windows. I didn't do the top strip of the windshield, but it's around $80 extra.

Before Pictures

After Pictures

Are you sure before and after are not the same?

Ha. Yes, Crystalline is really light compared to other tints, but the reason I paid so much is because it is the best at keeping the heat out with 60% TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection)

I'm hoping this means I'll be able to go further without A/C!

We had our Leaf tinted with Madico Wincos tint. 60% front and 20% rear. The Wincos tint is more greenish than the usual purplish so it looks more like stock tint but it has more heat rejection than than standard tint. The 60% in the front hardly looks tinted at all and if your worried about the law you can go with 70% but still get heat rejection. We have parked the car in the sun before and after the tint and it makes a very noticeable difference. Car stay's cooler inside and we end up using less AC.

Went with 1051's recommendation of The Tint Guys in Los Alamitos:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2600&start=83

$175 all-in, with free use of a loaner car (nicely kept '08 Honda Civic) and a free wash/mini detail! Very happy! Went with 35% up front; 20% in the rear doors; and 5% in the hatch window.

253367_10150269523599844_704969843_7458745_5548017_n.jpg

popak said:
z0ner said:
Their competitive retail price is $350 and they didn't charge extra for doing 9 windows.
Thanks! I'm interested in ceramic too, so it's good to know. Very reasonable.
I got my LEAF tinted with TW Tinting in Santa Ana yesterday. Thanks for the tip, z0ner.

I ended up getting the Wincos 20% (dark) in the back and 40% (medium) on the front windows. Retail is $350 but ask for the "forum" discount and you'll get $25 off. They have done quite a few LEAFs apparently, due to this forum. The 40% for the front windows is technically not allowed in CA. But decided to risk it anyway. If you get a ticket, they'll replace the front windows for $80. I figure, if I do get "popped", I'll have them replace it with the 70% (clear) tint, which is legal.

Wincos is not ceramic but is in the same league - in fact, has better IR rejection (92%) than ceramic. There is lifetime warranty against pretty much anything (fading, cracking, bubbles, et cetera). Been pretty happy with the results so far. Cannot feel the heat at all throught the tint, even the lighter front windows. Will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

The only bad thing is that I now notice the heat coming in from the windshield a lot more :lol: Now semi-seriously considering putting Wincos 70% (clear) tint on the windshield. But that's another $200, so probably gonna wait on that.

popak said:
I got my LEAF tinted with TW Tinting in Santa Ana yesterday. Thanks for the tip, z0ner.

You're very welcome. I knew you'd love their work. However, if I were you I'd definitely save up for the entire front windshield - you will certainly appreciate it in this August heat.

trevelan said:
I've used Tint on Wheels in the past for a couple of cars. He comes to your location to install, but he does need an electrical outlet nearby for his dryer.

Like having an outlet nearby is going to be an issue for anyone with a Leaf. :)

PhatBoyG said:
trevelan said:
I've used Tint on Wheels in the past for a couple of cars. He comes to your location to install, but he does need an electrical outlet nearby for his dryer.

Like having an outlet nearby is going to be an issue for anyone with a Leaf. :)

Quick, someone make a hair dryer with a J1772 socket!

Anyone have any photos of their Leaf with a fairly dark tint on the rear/back windows only and no tinting on the fronts?

I'm probably going to go for 20-25% on the rears and back only and not touch the front to comply with California law - which is what I did on my Prius. I've been happy with it on the Prius and I think it looks good but the Prius has more windows back there than the Leaf (6 in the Prius vs. 3 in the Leaf).

Keep in mind that in CA at least, it is illegal to put ANY tint below the AS1 line on the windshield...

z0ner said:
popak said:

You're very welcome. I knew you'd love their work. However, if I were you I'd definitely save up for the entire front windshield - you will certainly appreciate it in this August heat.

I just had 35 front with 18 back and rear put on my white Leaf in Phoenix. I also got the clear bra. I'll post some pics in the coming days. It was not cheap, but I'm very happy with it. Looks great IMHO.

Devin said:
Anyone have any photos of their Leaf with a fairly dark tint on the rear/back windows only and no tinting on the fronts?

30% rear hatch, rear windows, and winglet windows next to the mirrors.
70% on the front/side windows.
Windshield untouched.
tinted.jpg

aqn said:
Do you know what brand is the clear bra? Also, what does it cover? Thanks.

Clear bra is 3M. Covers the entire bumper including the charging door, fender caps, rearview mirrors, and about 75-80% of the hood. On my white car, the bra is really invisible for the most part. I'll take some pics this weekend.

The tint is Suntek Carbon CXP 35 front/18 rear. Good stuff.

Again pics to follow....

Back