Windshield stained from outdoor elements

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goixiz

I was on a short vacation 2 weeks
Car was left outside and not driven for 2 weeks

Upon return from my vacation I noticed that the windshield was stained but I th out it just needed a good washing since there was record high pollent count (Georgia). So I never bothered and knowing the next few days was going to rain for a few days forecast.

Tonight was the first time I drove it at night and it was very difficult even after I washed the windshield because of the glare. After getting home I used some car wash detergent and washed the windshield and it made no difference. The windshield has light a scale on it that even scrubbing with cotton towel with soap and water will not remove. Used some rubbing alcohol to see if it would clean off - no change.

What can this be. It's almost a hazard to drive at night.

Has anyone else had this issue and any solution ?

Might need to try a very mild abrasive such as Bug & Tar Remover. Never tried it but told that "Bar Tender's Friend" scouring powder will work. Be extremely careful with abrasive compounds or using abrasive pads (ie...green scotch-brite) as it's possible to scratch/haze the glass. Might try on a small out of view sample area first.

A safer process might be to start with clay bar & spray-on detailer. It might just be an oily film that the detailer will dissolve and the clay will safely lift without scratching.

Could it be paint overspray? I had a vehicle damaged by paint overspray from a construction project and the windows were hard to see through clearly. The detail shop hired by the construction contractor's insurance company was able to polish the paint and clean the chrome, windows, and mirrors of the cars that were hit, but I don't know what they used on the glass. Try the clay bar approach recommended by Rogersleaf.

Good luck,
Gerry

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/glass-science-auto-glass-stripper.html?productid=glass-science-auto-glass-stripper&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CJHm4MOSkMUCFQJufgodKCEARA#.VTrYZ61Viko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Etc, Etc.

You cleaned the inside and the outside right? I find most glare is from the inside that can get dirty very quickly.

On the outside you can use a razor blade to clean it, that's how they get tint off windows. Go very very slowly and be careful. Test it in a corner first.

I have tried
Windex
Ammonia with newspaper
Soak cotton towel with white vinegar leave on
Small 2" square of HCl diluted and leave on
Clay bar
0000 steel wool with damp cloth as backing

The one that made a small improvement is with my orbital polisher with polishing compound

I may have to go to my circular polisher with a harder pad with the fiberglass polishing compound.

After reading what you have tried, the stain probably is not water- soluble, so I would try a solvent instead.

Try mineral spirits applied with a micro- fiber cloth. Work in with 0000 steel wool if needed. Test on a small area first to see if it will work. Do not let it contact the paint.

silentbutnotdeadly said:
After reading what you have tried, the stain probably is not water- soluble, so I would try a solvent instead.

Try mineral spirits applied with a micro- fiber cloth. Work in with 0000 steel wool if needed. Test on a small area first to see if it will work. Do not let it contact the paint.

I will try that

I did try alcohol %91
And acetone on a cotton swab qtip

I would try something that dissolves minerals. Lime-away, CLR, etc... Carefully and with dilute solutions at first. This should do something with mineral deposits. Are you sure it's mineral deposits and not sand-sparkle?

Back