XL1 261 MPG on 0.9 liters & 32 Mile EV Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wennfred

XL1 actually needs just 0.9 liter to travel 100 kilometers, which means the claimed maximum efficiency is a heady 261 mpg.

The XL1’s hybrid system consists of a 47-hp, 800-cc two-cylinder TDI turbo-diesel engine, a 27-hp (20-kW) electric motor, and VW’s seven-speed DSG dual-clutch gearbox. (The DSG is programmed to operate only in automatic mode.) The TDI and the electric motor combine to deliver maximum torque of 103 lb-ft. This amazingly compact powertrain is mounted transversely behind the passenger compartment and drives the rear wheels. A 5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and a 2.6-gallon diesel fuel tank are nestled between the powertrain and passenger compartment.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/volkswagen-xl1-concept-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/10/04/volkswagen-xl1-worlds-most-efficient-car-makes-its-us-debut-ct-exclusive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fred

Wennfred said:
XL1 actually needs just 0.9 liter to travel 100 kilometers, which means the claimed maximum efficiency is a heady 261 mpg.

The XL1’s hybrid system consists of a 47-hp, 800-cc two-cylinder TDI turbo-diesel engine, a 27-hp (20-kW) electric motor, and VW’s seven-speed DSG dual-clutch gearbox. (The DSG is programmed to operate only in automatic mode.) The TDI and the electric motor combine to deliver maximum torque of 103 lb-ft. This amazingly compact powertrain is mounted transversely behind the passenger compartment and drives the rear wheels. A 5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and a 2.6-gallon diesel fuel tank are nestled between the powertrain and passenger compartment.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/volkswagen-xl1-concept-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/10/04/volkswagen-xl1-worlds-most-efficient-car-makes-its-us-debut-ct-exclusive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fred
I have been following the XL1 for a while but I'm not quite as excited about it as I used to be. After living the Leaf for a while, I am spoiled. I want my next electric car to be a "normal" car that just happens to run on electricity (maybe with a just-in-case gas gen-set.)

Two quick notes:

A) The first article is from 2011 and some of the car specs have changed since then
B) Per the second article, the XL1's price is $143K and may not be available in the US.

It's the only gas powered car I would consider buying, aside from maybe a 8x8 Stryker or something. Even then it would just be for the novelty.

I do almost feel like they're trying to send some sort of message with the pricing. It's pretty irrelevant considering how many they're making.

The only really justification to have a gas car anymore is if you frequently go out into the wilderness, hundreds of miles from any place to charge up. That is something that this car would be terrible for.

coolfilmaker said:
The only really justification to have a gas car anymore is if you frequently go out into the wilderness, hundreds of miles from any place to charge up. That is something that this car would be terrible for.

+1

After 2 1/2 years as an EV driver for 95% of our driving, even taking the Prius C for a road trip is painful :shock:

I guess I am in the minority... I still love blasting through tight, twisty mountain roads in the BMW, rowing through the gears... Few automotive things this side of a race track give me that kind of exhilaration... For the town I love the Leaf but for the road, the BMW wins every time!

And I have to be honest... I drove a Prius C and found it to be painful, period...

gasmiser1 said:
After 2 1/2 years as an EV driver for 95% of our driving, even taking the Prius C for a road trip is painful :shock:

Back