F150 lightning pricing is live

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watchdoc

You can now "build and price" an F150 Lightning on the Ford website. XLT with ER battery and upgraded interior package goes for $75k. X plan pricing unavailable for the F150 Lightning and dealers adding markup. Craziness....

Interesting article on this topic

https://electrek.co/2021/11/19/fords-lightning-order-numbers-dont-include-fleet-buyers-which-means-itll-be-sold-out-forever/

watchdoc said:
You can now "build and price" an F150 Lightning on the Ford website. XLT with ER battery and upgraded interior package goes for $75k. X plan pricing unavailable for the F150 Lightning and dealers adding markup. Craziness....

Yes but some dealers are also asking for a 5-10k market adjustments and non refundable large deposits.

I just don't see how the average person can afford a $1200 car payment. I purchased my 2016 Ram Big Horn crew cab at the beginning of 2017 on a year end deal for $32k OTD. It's just hard to digest that a new upper mid tier Ford 150 will be more than double that price.

watchdoc said:

Actually, even more bad news, it looks like the extended range battery is coupled to the higher end interior package, so to get the extended range its really costing you 17k to 20k more, not just 10k.

watchdoc said:
I just don't see how the average person can afford a $1200 car payment. I purchased my 2016 Ram Big Horn crew cab at the beginning of 2017 on a year end deal for $32k OTD. It's just hard to digest that a new upper mid tier Ford 150 will be more than double that price.

We can't. I have a $100 reservation for a cyber truck and a lightning but I saw the writing on the wall and went ahead and bought a used 2016 f150 to tide me over for awhile as my 2002 is getting too old for my tastes. My monthly payment on the 2016 F150 Platinum 6.5' bed crew cab? Just a tad over $500. That's enough for me.

I'm seeing a lot of unhappy F150 lightning pre-order holders on just one forum.
They basically are being forced to choose between a 39k Pro model that they may never get their hands on, or stuck optioning up to 78k for 300 miles.

And something I noticed is many are building theirs with a max tow package. But why?
Even with the extended range battery of 131 kwh, you won't be towing long distance. If you try, you will hate it.
Sure, for around town and commercial use, no problem.

But do the math:

10-80% useable range of 131 kwh: 91.7 kWh
1.5 mi/kwh highway towing efficiency range (some have estimated as low as 1.0): 137 mile useable towing range

The lightning might have some great uses, but I see a bunch of folks thinking they are towing their RVs and ordering max trailer tow package... and I foresee a lot of unhappy customers.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/%F0%9F%91%A8%E2%80%8D%F0%9F%92%BB-f-150-lightning-build-price-configurator-now-live-post-your-build.7842/page-11

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/fords-epic-lightning-bait-and-switch-is-complete-the-official-im-out-thread.7847/

There are over 160 million pickup trucks in the US. Either millions of owners are going to have to reluctantly give up on owning a truck or there's going to be a pickup truck lobby that rails against any new emissions standards for light duty trucks. In short, it's going to be a big crap storm.

alozzy said:
There are over 160 million pickup trucks in the US. Either millions of owners are going to have to reluctantly give up on owning a truck or there's going to be a pickup truck lobby that rails against any new emissions standards for light duty trucks. In short, it's going to be a big crap storm.

I think what drives this market will be the institutional demand. Not sure how many out of the 160 million trucks are used by large organizations (utility companies, construction & contracting firms etc) but I imagine it will be a large percentage. These companies tend to depreciate and replace vehicles on a 10 year basis. That being the case, as EV trucks become available I can imagine majority of this demand (institutional) switching over considering the lower maintenance costs and down time as well as operating costs.

My Son has a F-150 that we all jump into with 3 dirt bikes in the bed and a pop-up behind, then head to the CO mountains almost every year. Be surprised if he will ever be able to (conveniently) switch to an EV as we do this essentially straight through in about 20 hours.

OTOH, I am so pleased with both Gen's of the Leaf that I've owned - they have both served my purposes extremely well. The Gen 1 was a great "about the town" vehicle - no trips over 60 miles! The Gen 2 gets me to my rural cabin and back (200 miles) with ease and is a great "suburban" vehicle - and will continue to save me $$'s.

Will all the braggadocios auto manufacturers that promise to eliminate all ICE vehicles in the next decade or two keep them? Will they actually supply the public with what they promise and when (a reasonably priced model 3,Y or Lightning for sub $40k OTD? I actually hope that is possible, but I have my doubts. I have a "deposit" on the Hummer, but with the promise of the Lightning, no way for the Hummer, but then will either really be available in the next couple of years anyway? The "supply chain" of components will certainly begin to show up in the actuals of delivery and price.

Marktm said:
My Son has a F-150 that we all jump into with 3 dirt bikes in the bed and a pop-up behind, then head to the CO mountains almost every year. Be surprised if he will ever be able to (conveniently) switch to an EV as we do this essentially straight through in about 20 hours.

Absolutely right! I have a similar use case and keep a 2011 F150 which now only goes to work when we have an off road adventure happening. I imagine there will be lot of people like us who will need to keep an old 4x4 ICE truck or SUV for various purposes that take them to remote wilderness where charging infrastructure will never be able to reach.

Hence my comment above regarding the institutional user base. I think EV manufacturers who wish to corner the truck market need to look at lower cost, plain vanilla truck deals with the large fleet buyers and cut out the dealers altogether out of the equation. This is happening to some degree in the panel van side of the business and it will be interesting to see how the trucks align as well over time.

The writing was on the wall, albeit in invisible ink

"Ford 150 for $40K !!!! Volume deliveries in 2025.

The problem is that the price per kWh for lithium ion packs will go up, rather than down, over the next few years.

Until cheaper chemistries, with better performance and at least equal or better longevity, are developed into market ready EV packs, it seems really unlikely that long range, offroad capable EVs will be affordable anytime within the next decade. Very few people can afford the up front cost of a >$100k vehicle.

I think that the Maverick is a step in the right direction for the above scenarios. Add a larger battery and make it a PHEV, and you have a truck that's an EV for local trips and a hybrid for longer highway runs.

LeftieBiker said:
I think that the Maverick is a step in the right direction for the above scenarios. Add a larger battery and make it a PHEV, and you have a truck that's an EV for local trips and a hybrid for longer highway runs.

I agree, pickup trucks that need to haul large loads and/or drive long distances are a much better fit for PHEV platforms. I'm generally not a fan of PHEVs, but this is an excellent example of where they make sense.

GM tried it with the Sierra (?) but they priced it too high. A PHEV pickup should cost no more than the lowest level luxury upgrade. Then they can add a pricier luxury upgrade to that, if they think it will sell. Or an inverter option that can provide home power backup. Bundling all those features together and then charging a ton of money isn't going to get electrified pickups into use in any significant numbers.

LeftieBiker said:
GM tried it with the Sierra (?) but they priced it too high. A PHEV pickup should cost no more than the lowest level luxury upgrade. Then they can add a pricier luxury upgrade to that, if they think it will sell. Or an inverter option that can provide home power backup. Bundling all those features together and then charging a ton of money isn't going to get electrified pickups into use in any significant numbers.

Maybe that was the plan of this pricing - not to undercut their ICE truck sales in any meaningful way. Sure, they are making a 40k EV f150 - which *IF* produced and sold in large numbers would be awesome; but then only make 500 a year of them, and make it so the truck everyone really wanted is priced out so high that people revert to buying a traditional ICE vehicle. But on paper, Ford gets to say they make an awesome F150 EV, starting at 40k. What a bargain!

I don't tow anything so I don't know much about it but the towing capacity of my Rav4 Prime is shockingly low. I've chalked it up to the fact that the final drive to the wheels is one of the electric motors and it just doesn't have the strength to handle large loads. I'm sure that could be remedied but I'm not certain a hybrid is a great fit for towing.

On the other hand......there are locomotives, so I it is surely possible for electric motors to be made strong enough for towing. :mrgreen:

goldbrick said:
I don't tow anything so I don't know much about it but the towing capacity of my Rav4 Prime is shockingly low. I've chalked it up to the fact that the final drive to the wheels is one of the electric motors and it just doesn't have the strength to handle large loads. I'm sure that could be remedied but I'm not certain a hybrid is a great fit for towing.

On the other hand......there are locomotives, so I it is surely possible for electric motors to be made strong enough for towing. :mrgreen:

Which Rav 4 Prime do you have? I had a R4P SE with cold weather/moonroof package for a couple months in 2021 but I never really bonded with it. I found the seats to be narrow and hard and I just hated when the gas engine turned on because of it's courseness. I was addicted to the electric mode so I decided to go full EV.
Dealer bought it back for almost what I paid for it and I got to keep the tax credit so I waited til Jan 1st, and jumped on a year end Leaf SV+ deal.

Same as yours. 2021 SE with weather package. I prefer EV mode of course but I also use it for mild off-roading to trail heads and driving across the midwest to see my folks. All in all I really love it. It's my first Toyota hybrid and I'm impressed with the technology.

Back