Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:12 pm

pkulak wrote:And the turning radius is tiny. Probably because of the skinny tires.
The main reason for the difference in turning circle between a Leaf and the i3 is that the Leaf is front wheel drive and the i3 is rear wheel drive.

Front wheel drive cars have to cope with driveshafts and associated hardware that limits turning angles. Wider wheels might reduce the i3's available turning radius a little, but putting narrower wheels on the Leaf isn't going to help...
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 am

My lease is up in a few months and I was researching my options for a replacement BEV to compare with a Volt. I stumbled upon this:

New 2014 BMW i3 Mega for $34,700 (the exact price I paid for my LEAF in 2012). They are also offering $198/mo with $3500 down plus first month. I'm incredibly tempted to just start leasing this now and take Nissan up on their early release offer.

http://www.erhardbmwoffarmingtonhills.c ... 2301202483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

::EDIT::

Reached out to dealer, it was a price mistake. Actual price is $37,700.

24-month, 10,000 mile per year lease
63% residual
$4875 of the $7500 tax credit is passed on to reduce cap cost

Still not a terrible deal.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

mkjayakumar
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Reached out to dealer, it was a price mistake. Actual price is $37,700.

24-month, 10,000 mile per year lease
63% residual
that means 37% is your 24 month lease deal which comes to $13,690 or $570+/month not even considering the money factor.

$570/month is not a great deal in my opinion for a puny 80 mile range two door car even with a BMW tax. Give me a break..
2011 Leaf, 30K miles, returned after 24 month lease.
Currently leasing 2014 Leaf SV.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 am

Watch the video at the link.

Nice to know that Nissan may soon be joined by a second manufacturer making a profit on BEV sales.

I agree, and if BMW had just offered US buyers the CHAdeMO port, I might already have replaced my LEAF.
In a nondescript industrial building in suburban Detroit, a $50,000 BMW is lying in pieces. The place looks like an illegal chop shop, where stolen vehicles are disassembled to be sold as parts. The body is on the floor, the chassis propped on a stand, the powertrain spread out in tiny bits on a table, the seats on somebody’s desk.

But A. Sandy Munro is no car thief: he paid full price for the BMW i3 he subsequently tore apart. Nor is he selling it for parts. He is, however, selling information about this remarkable car to anyone who is interested. And rest assured, a lot of people in the auto industry want to know its secrets.

This is, without a question of a doubt, the most advanced vehicle on the planet,” said Munro, chief executive of Munro & Associates, whose firm specializes in reverse engineering for the auto industry among others. “It’s as revolutionary as the Model T was when it came out.”...

Munro is still crunching the numbers, but is convinced that despite the high cost of carbon fiber and lithium-ion batteries, BMW has designed the i3 to be profitable at a volume of about 20,000 vehicles a year. Given the regulatory challenges the industry faces, he said, “Other carmakers are going to be dragged up to the chalkboard and told, ‘Do this’.”...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller ... he-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 pm

edatoakrun wrote: I agree, and if BMW had just offered US buyers the CHAdeMO port, I might already have replaced my LEAF.
I would probably too, but on the other hand a new i3 would have about the same range as my aging Leaf whose resale value is not dropping at the rate of $300-400 per month, in fact it has been almost constant around 11k for private party since July according to kbb.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Wheels mag (Australia) is a hard core petrolhead magazine dominated by the local manufacturers and performance cars from all makes. That makes them handing out COTY to the i3 surprising and significant.
With BMW’s i3, the switching hour has struck. This innovative and compact electric car combines expressive design, impressive engineering, exceptional efficiency and persuasive practicality with a good deal of driver appeal.

Both admirable and desirable, the i3 is the car that signals, loud and clear, electric propulsion’s readiness for the road ahead.

For its far-sighted clarity of vision and unswerving execution, the i3 is Wheels Car of the Year 2014. It is the first electric car and the first BMW ever to win our award.

Efficiency is the obvious strong suit of the i3. Its underfloor lithium-ion battery pack stores the electric equivalent of just two litres of unleaded, but it’s enough to endow the i3 with a 100km-plus pure electric driving range. Easily more than the 40km the average Australian drives every day.

When recharged using renewable energy – and it’s hard to imagine anyone who buys an i3 wanting to use anything else – this urban warrior delivers practically emission-free mobility.

Range anxiety, however, remains an electric car reality. BMW offers a cure for the condition. The Range Extender version adds immensely to the BMW’s flexibility. It brings the freedom to make unplanned trips as well as longer journeys.

The i3 doesn’t only shine in comparison with fossil fuel power. It’s also more efficient than other electric cars.
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the- ... year-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video mini review:
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the- ... st-bmw-i3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

Capetown
Delivery Date: 20 Sep 2014

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:59 am

i just trawled through the Leaf and i3 brochures. The i3 comes out tops with regard to consumption per 100 kms. It's 12.9 kWhs as opposed to the Rex 13.5 kWhs, the Leaf is 15kWhs. Comparing the unladen weights, i3 1270, Rex 1390 and Leaf 1550. The i3 figures are better, but not earth shatteringly so! It's consumption is better mainly due to it's lighter weight! In the UK the Leaf has a 5 year/60k mile battery for the battery not to drop below 75%. The i3's warranty is 10 year100k mile for the battery not to drop below 70%. The BM is better, but much more expensive. You pay your money and you take your choice! :)

ELROY
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 023406

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 am

Capetown wrote:i just trawled through the Leaf and i3 brochures. The i3 comes out tops with regard to consumption per 100 kms. It's 12.9 kWhs as opposed to the Rex 13.5 kWhs, the Leaf is 15kWhs. Comparing the unladen weights, i3 1270, Rex 1390 and Leaf 1550. The i3 figures are better, but not earth shatteringly so! It's consumption is better mainly due to it's lighter weight! In the UK the Leaf has a 5 year/60k mile battery for the battery not to drop below 75%. The i3's warranty is 10 year100k mile for the battery not to drop below 70%. The BM is better, but much more expensive. You pay your money and you take your choice! :)
I was just at the Camarillo BMW Dealership. Saw a $49.900 i3 2yr lease for $2500 down, under $200 month! Not bad for a $50,000 car!

GRA

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Original article via ABG, but it links to this:
BMW releases important software update for i3 electric car
New programming is designed to fix a glitch Consumer Reports found when testing
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As has been opined since BMW first announced this 'fix' when reports of the crippled REx started appearing, this is only a partial cure, as it doesn't provide the driver with a hold mode. Provided your climb starts close enough to the beginning of the trip it will help, but for people in places like California, where you have a significant distance to drive before you start your climb, it often won't help. You still need the hack to get a driver-selectable Hold mode.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 pm

GRA wrote:Original article via ABG, but it links to this:
BMW releases important software update for i3 electric car
New programming is designed to fix a glitch Consumer Reports found when testing
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As has been opined since BMW first announced this 'fix' when reports of the crippled REx started appearing, this is only a partial cure, as it doesn't provide the driver with a hold mode. Provided your climb starts close enough to the beginning of the trip it will help, but for people in places like California, where you have a significant distance to drive before you start your climb, it often won't help. You still need the hack to get a driver-selectable Hold mode.
And it turns out that the expected software update still isn't available. According to reliable sources on the i3 Facebook group, the newly available update only adds a warning on a display that full power may not be available. The partial cure that you refer to won't be out til much later this year.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”