hd172
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2012

I took the Coda for a test drive today

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Well I decided to look at the Coda. I'll start by saying it looked like something from the 90s with aftermarket wheels. It was decent on acceleration but braking was super touchy. There are no modes for Eco or drive. The car made a clunky noise from its transmission. Overall I did not like it. I would like to get a second ev with a slightly longer range but this car would not make me happy. The salesman said they will be coming out with another ev that will have better looks and a 150 mile range. Im going to try and test drive the focus but if it disappoints me I may just buy the 2013 leaf.

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Re: I took the Coda for a test drive today

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:38 am

hd172 wrote:Well I decided to look at the Coda. I'll start by saying it looked like something from the 90s with aftermarket wheels. It was decent on acceleration but braking was super touchy. There are no modes for Eco or drive. The car made a clunky noise from its transmission. Overall I did not like it. I would like to get a second ev with a slightly longer range but this car would not make me happy. The salesman said they will be coming out with another ev that will have better looks and a 150 mile range. Im going to try and test drive the focus but if it disappoints me I may just buy the 2013 leaf.
Thanks for sharing. Obviously I wish any EV manufacturer the best simply because I want the market as a whole to succeed. But I just can't fathom why anyone would want this car. The leaf's looks are somewhat controversial. There are lots of people (women especially) that like the looks of the Leaf, and quite a few who think it is ugly. But I have not heard anyone compliment the Coda on its looks.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

hd172
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2012

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 am

Also forgot to mention that there is no quick charge port.

GRA

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:58 pm

adric22 wrote:
hd172 wrote:Well I decided to look at the Coda. I'll start by saying it looked like something from the 90s with aftermarket wheels. It was decent on acceleration but braking was super touchy. There are no modes for Eco or drive. The car made a clunky noise from its transmission. Overall I did not like it. I would like to get a second ev with a slightly longer range but this car would not make me happy. The salesman said they will be coming out with another ev that will have better looks and a 150 mile range. Im going to try and test drive the focus but if it disappoints me I may just buy the 2013 leaf.
Thanks for sharing. Obviously I wish any EV manufacturer the best simply because I want the market as a whole to succeed. But I just can't fathom why anyone would want this car. The leaf's looks are somewhat controversial. There are lots of people (women especially) that like the looks of the Leaf, and quite a few who think it is ugly. But I have not heard anyone compliment the Coda on its looks.
And you're unlikely to, as it's Corolla bland. But as to why anyone would fathom wanting the car, it's simple: range @ price point (there are some other advantages, like a simple 3-knob HVAC). I personally find the rationale for the 31kWh battery version marginal, but if they (ever) sell the 36kWh version for <=$40k, it makes sense for people who need the extra range, provided they're willing to take a chance on a startup using a Chinese glider.

I've made clear my feelings about the lack of an L3 in the Coda Sub-forum as well as in person and via email with Coda, but at $40k the car that I can't fathom would be the Focus EV. Yeah, it's a lot nicer inside than the Coda and probably more fun to drive, but the range difference is minimal compared to the Leaf (although the TMS, a feature which it shares with the Coda, should be beneficial maintaining cold weather range), it also lacks an L3, and the advantage of the 6.6 kW charger will only last until the 2013 Leafs arrive. Having an 'L' mode is nice, though.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:00 pm

The Focus will surprise you. It's a very well built car. I'm hoping my next car after the LEAF will be a Focus Electric. It's just coming to my market too late and priced too high for me to consider at this point, though.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

SteveInSeattle
Delivery Date: 03 May 2011

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:48 pm

CODA is 100% certain to fail. Were they to start selling, however unlikely that would be, Nissan, Ford and all the soon to join the market brands would meet their battery size and price point. There is enough competition in the car market, no existing brand is going to allow a beachhead for a new brand without a fight. The only real question is whether TESLA can succeed, it too is unlikely in my opinion. The German makes will build competitive products very soon and have much better dealer support, advertising budgets and reputations to out market Tesla. The luxury EV market is not going to be huge, and Infiniti is already ready to jump in there.
2013 lease ended, purchased a red 2015 SL Premium from Ray Ishak at Magic Nissan. Good deal + rebates + $7500 tax credit + no sales tax = Leaf for Sentra money.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:07 pm

kubel wrote:The Focus will surprise you.
Yep, it surely did surprise me when Ford decided not to add a QC port. IMO, they dropped the ball because now it will only be a commuter. When Nissan puts their under $10K DCQCs at all of the Nissan dealers, LEAF drivers with the port will be able to drive most anywhere. And there will also be other brand QCs along the interstates/freeways.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:36 pm

SteveInSeattle wrote:CODA is 100% certain to fail. Were they to start selling, however unlikely that would be, Nissan, Ford and all the soon to join the market brands would meet their battery size and price point.
I'm pretty sure they will fail too. As for "were they to start selling", are you talking about Coda? They have started selling, AFAIK. I'm guessing you mean in quantity...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:27 am

LEAFfan wrote:
kubel wrote:The Focus will surprise you.
Yep, it surely did surprise me when Ford decided not to add a QC port. IMO, they dropped the ball because now it will only be a commuter. When Nissan puts their under $10K DCQCs at all of the Nissan dealers, LEAF drivers with the port will be able to drive most anywhere. And there will also be other brand QCs along the interstates/freeways.
The US auto industry has stated they have no interest in a dual port charging solution like Nissan is attempting to forge into a standard. CHAdeMO is dead. Any QC stations out now will require adapters or retrofitting in 2 years time. Ford will adopt QC once it's standardized into J1772 (probably not until the end of 2013, which means a 2014.5 or 2015 model year).

I'm not knocking Nissan for trying to forge a new standard and get people thinking about quick charge as a solution, but they took a big risk and lost. Going down with the CHAdeMO ship is honorable, but it's not in Fords best interest. I think they are wise to hold back production as long as possible. The longer they wait, the more tax credits they will have available for their customers to spend on cars that will, frankly, be built to a higher standard than Nissan and will be equipped with standardized ports. By 2015, it's questionable as to whether or not Nissan will have many tax credits left available for their customers to use.

My plan: I'm hoping to buy a 2015 Ford Focus Electric and drive it until its wheels fall off. The 2012 LEAF SV will just be something to hold me off until then. With no QC infrastructure in my state (and none planned in the next few years), the SL had little value to me.

But anyway, OP, if you get a chance to get behind the wheel of a FFE, I'm sure it will impress more than the LEAF. Just prepare for sticker shock.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

coolfilmaker
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:38 am

SteveInSeattle wrote:CODA is 100% certain to fail. Were they to start selling, however unlikely that would be, Nissan, Ford and all the soon to join the market brands would meet their battery size and price point. There is enough competition in the car market, no existing brand is going to allow a beachhead for a new brand without a fight. The only real question is whether TESLA can succeed, it too is unlikely in my opinion. The German makes will build competitive products very soon and have much better dealer support, advertising budgets and reputations to out market Tesla. The luxury EV market is not going to be huge, and Infiniti is already ready to jump in there.
I think you're wrong. No other car company has shown anything close to what Tesla has.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”