Headrests are too big, blocking rear view

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I removed them on day 2 and the visibility wit the rear view mirror is significantly better, and the blind spots much, much smaller.

abasile said:
I think the LEAF has pretty good visibility out the rear, even with the headrests. It's much better than the 3rd gen. Prius!
Just shows how horrible prius 3g is !

Without the headrests, Leaf is ok - though not as good as my old Maxima. But the big problem I now have is the wide A pillar (may be I should say "pillars"). Makes turns a little difficult, I'm never sure how far I'm from the curb.

they talk about that here:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/05/2011-nissan-leaf-could-use-some-flippers.html

they recommend Nissan use folding headrests.

I any case you really dont need to look back, just park so you leave by going forward.

evnow said:
Just shows how horrible prius 3g is !
Oh man! I used to complain about how people park but having owned one, now when I see a Prius parked at an angle, I just say, "I know why he did that!"

Leaf is ok - though not as good as my old Maxima.
My much maligned Corvair had fantastic visibility compared to modern cars. I never realized this until I got to "compare".

Still, I will pull the headrests and see what that's like. Thanks for the tip, guys.

gbarry42 said:
My much maligned Corvair had fantastic visibility compared to modern cars. I never realized this until I got to "compare".
Yes, thicker A pillars is because of crash tests. In a perverse way this has made cars less safe, though if you do have a crash you get injured less :roll:

Don't you know the first rule of italian driving? It's not the headrests that you are supposed to remove...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0[/youtube]

Removed the headrests after the first drive home. Way too large. Bagged, taped, and stored. They'll come out of storage after three years to compare fabric fade. ;)

GroundLoop said:
Removed the headrests after the first drive home. Way too large. Bagged, taped, and stored. They'll come out of storage after three years to compare fabric fade. ;)

Just curious, what are you going to do when you have rear seat passengers? I believe they need those for safety.

abasile said:
I think the LEAF has pretty good visibility out the rear, even with the headrests. It's much better than the 3rd gen. Prius!

I had the 2003 prius, loved that car because it had no blind spots at all.

Can you pull the headrest up and out, rotate it 90º around the vertical axis of its outer mounting "post" (rotating toward the side window), and put the one mounting "post" back in its mounting hole on the top of the seat?

If so, the headrest would remain almost ready to use, but might provide enough extra visibility.

garygid said:
Can you pull the headrest up and out, rotate it 90º around the vertical axis of its outer mounting "post" (rotating toward the side window), and put the one mounting "post" back in its mounting hole on the top of the seat?
If so, the headrest would remain almost ready to use, but might provide enough extra visibility.

Did I miss something here? You have a LEAF, haven't you tried your suggestion?

Back