Wall Street Journal article on cities and charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That article states that Houston already has 10 charge points (7 public) ... hell if I can find them. I keep finding articles saying they "will be installed" when I Google for more.

Bicster said:
Azrich said:
Go to http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php and zoom in on Houston. Most of them are in the downtown area.

Oh, thanks!

I'm sad to see these are all Level 1, 120V/16A. Not very useful. I was excited to see one in Galveston, but a 9-10 hour charge won't make day trips to Galveston easy.

It's great that it shows which ones are in use, though.

Some charge is always better than no charge. ChargePoint doesn't have any Level 2 chargers out yet, as there are really no cars that use them - yet, we can assume some of these wil be changed out to Coulombs dual model with the 120V outlet and the J-1772 Level 2 as well. You can already sign up for ChargePoint and get either the Wallet sized RFID or the keyfob, either one is $9.95 The access points are also "free" until July 2010, then the venue that they are installed at can set the price.

Yes, my bad. I corrected it above.

http://www.chargepointportal.net/index.php/general/uri/faq.html

"How much does it cost to use a ChargePoint Charging Station? (back to top)

Until July 2010, access to all public ChargePoint Charging Stations continues to be free. Stations may be accessed for free by calling the toll-free number located on every charging station or by activating a ChargePass™ RFID-based Smart Card.

Starting in July 2010 owners of ChargePoint Charging stations will have the option to set a fee for accessing their stations.

Who sets the price to access ChargePoint Charging Stations? (back to top)

Starting in July 2010 the owners of ChargePoint Charging Stations (Hosts) will control the fees (if any) to access their stations. Prices will appear on the station display and on the Google maps found at Find Charging Stations."

mitch672 said:
ChargePoint doesn't have any Level 2 chargers out yet, as there are really no cars that use them - yet
We have ChargePoint Level 2 stations in multiple locations in California. One station at a Edison facility in Irwindale, east of Los Angeles, open to the public 24/7, has 8 free L2/L1 stations. I and others have charged Leafs there at Level 2.

I found ChargePoints in Los Altos, CA expecting $5/hour to charge.

Back