Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverSL

Has anyone from the Phoenix area found a knowledgeable LEAF dealership? Are you going to wait until we hear more from Nissan or are you going to start pestering the local dealerships now?

I told my two closest dealers about this forum, and about SBNissan (a dealer) here. They seemed pleased to find out about "us".

I did not pester them for any answers, but I did pose a couple of "common" questions as examples. I suggested that they could "out-shine" other dealers by knowing the answers to such questions.

They seemed excited to discover a way to learn more (even our "guesses"), and to have somebody willing to help them excell.

Azrich here, from Tucson. Today I wrote an email, in their fill in the blank form, to the AZ Dept of Transportation asking them to consider a reduced registration fee for electric vehicles. If you think it could help go to https://wwwa.azdot.gov/contact_adot/index.aspx and send them a message.

Here is what I sent to them today:

Tucson and Phoenix are two of the eight U.S. cities where the Nissan LEAF electric vehicle will be introduced in December 2010. Nissan expects to sell about 1000 LEAFs by early 2012. This vehicle has zero emissions. Would the ADOT please consider reinstating the reduced registration fee for this new type of alternative fuel vehicle? The federal government is investing in the installation of hundreds of charging stations in Tucson, Phoenix, and the corridor between the two cities. I would ask you to please consider creating a special, lower registration fee for all 100% electric vehicles. Thank you.

Azrich, thanks for the suggestion about contacting ADOT. I sent them the following and will post any reply I receive.

The Nissan Leaf that will start hitting our roads in December of 2010 will be a Battery Electric Plug-in only Vehicle. As such, it will have no internal combustion engine at all, and no exhaust pipe (zero emissions). Will there be a program initiated for this new class of vehicles that will encourage their early public acceptance? Possibly a program similar to what was offered to early adopters of hybrid gas/electric cars (Prius, Civic). Qualifying vehicles would be issued a special Alternative Fuel license plate affixed with a (PEV) decal. Vehicles that display the Energy Efficient plate would be allowed access to the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes regardless of the number of occupants. Also, these vehicles might be eligible for the reduced Vehicle License Tax (VLT). I would be interested to know if this is on ADOT’s agenda. I am considering buying a Nissan Leaf when they become available this December and an incentive plan would encourage me and others to adopt this new, cleaner technology.

I sent an e-mail to the “Leaf Expert” at Avondale Nissan saying I would be interested to know more about the pre-order and delivery process. His reply was short, simply saying that he was familiar with the reservation process and more details will be provided by late June. He anticipates (as we do) the first batch of Leafs to arrive in December. I asked him about whether he knew if Nissan would be having another National tour where we might be able to actually test drive a leaf prior to deliveries commencing but he didn’t have any other information or official news. He said they are receiving information step by step and will keep me updated. I will post anything (we don’t already know) if I hear anything more from him. If you want to get on his update list too… Felix Ember [email protected] (Fleet Manager).

Silver, that was a great letter to ADOT. Are you an attorney?? It was worded so perfectly!!

A few weeks ago I wrote a "paper and envelope" letter to the store manager of the IKEA store encouraging them to contact the EV Project, also located in Tempe, to request that some charging stations there. When we go to Phoenix it seems we always spend several hours there. I haven't heard from them yet. I couldn't find any email address for the store. Any ideas?

Azrich said:
A few weeks ago I wrote a "paper and envelope" letter to the store manager of the IKEA store encouraging them to contact the EV Project, also located in Tempe, to request that some charging stations there. When we go to Phoenix it seems we always spend several hours there. I haven't heard from them yet. I couldn't find any email address for the store. Any ideas?

I called IKEA corporate and was told that the local stores don't take calls directly. The operator offered to transfer me to "Public Relations" however; they had already gone home for the day. So Rich, my idea is that you call 480-496-5658 during business hours (I think option 4 is for general questions) and ask to speak with Public Relations. Your idea for IKEA to install charging stations is a good one and IKEA should recognize that.

Ken

I am not from Arizona (though I do own a small empty lot in Meadview, AZ), our local IKEA here (Avon, MA) actually has "zipcars" they rent from that location, so IKEA is a progressive company, I am willing to bet they will at least ponder the idea, also if you have any COSTCOs, they are also very progressive, many of the COSTCOs in California already have the older style (paddle) EV chargers.. They might also be willing to update theirs/install some new ones.

you might mention "ChargePoint" to them, as then they don't have to worry too much about it, they take care of it.. they could even set a small fee for using the charger.

http://www.chargepointportal.net/index.php/general/uri/faq.html

Azrich said:
Azrich here, from Tucson. Today I wrote an email, in their fill in the blank form, to the AZ Dept of Transportation asking them to consider a reduced registration fee for electric vehicles. If you think it could help go to https://wwwa.azdot.gov/contact_adot/index.aspx and send them a message.

Tucson and Phoenix are two of the eight U.S. cities where the Nissan LEAF electric vehicle will be introduced in December 2010. Nissan expects to sell about 1000 LEAFs by early 2012. This vehicle has zero emissions. Would the ADOT please consider reinstating the reduced registration fee for this new type of alternative fuel vehicle? The federal government is investing in the installation of hundreds of charging stations in Tucson, Phoenix, and the corridor between the two cities. I would ask you to please consider creating a special, lower registration fee for all 100% electric vehicles. Thank you.

Rich, I believe you meant 1000 LEAFs by the end of December, 2010. Each of the five rollout states are going to get about 1000 cars. By 2012 Nissan is expecting the whole country to have LEAFs available, so that would be in the 100,000s. When did ADOT discontinue the blue plate/reduced registration fee for electric and other dedicated alternative vehicles? I know the hybrid one ran out, but I still got my sticker when I renewed my cng car. Instead of a couple hundred dollars it was only 12.50 and 20 something for TWO years. So when I get my LEAF, I'm planning on keeping the same plate since BEV will be in the same category as my cng car. Actually, the Honda Civic GX is Near Zero Emissions. So I'm a little confused about why you think we wouldn't still be able to get them.

SilverSL said:
Azrich, thanks for the suggestion about contacting ADOT. I sent them the following and will post any reply I receive.

The Nissan Leaf that will start hitting our roads in December of 2010 will be a Battery Electric Plug-in only Vehicle. As such, it will have no internal combustion engine at all, and no exhaust pipe (zero emissions). Will there be a program initiated for this new class of vehicles that will encourage their early public acceptance? Possibly a program similar to what was offered to early adopters of hybrid gas/electric cars (Prius, Civic). Qualifying vehicles would be issued a special Alternative Fuel license plate affixed with a (PEV) decal. Vehicles that display the Energy Efficient plate would be allowed access to the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes regardless of the number of occupants. Also, these vehicles might be eligible for the reduced Vehicle License Tax (VLT). I would be interested to know if this is on ADOT’s agenda. I am considering buying a Nissan Leaf when they become available this December and an incentive plan would encourage me and others to adopt this new, cleaner technology.

Ken, please don't ask for stickers like the hybrids. Those have expired (had a limit of 10,000) and aren't in the same category as BEVs! Since I already have an AF plate (no decal) for my cng Honda Civic GX, I'm pretty sure that the BEV, since it is dedicated like mine, will be in the same category for alternative fuel. I'm planning on keeping my blue AF plate when I buy the LEAF. I see no problem. I read the AZ statute and the ALL electric is in the group with the dedicated cng cars. If you find out differently, please let me know. Thanks!

Azrich said:

This is already what AZ has everything you asked.
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index#/leaf-electric-car/incentives/show/85226

ADOT Response: Arizona was allowed to participate in the Energy Efficient License Plate Program thru an agreement w/the Federal Highway Administration and the law that allowed for this program expired in September of 2009 and has not been renewed. For all intents and purposes, HOV lane usage is dictated by the federal government because federal funds are used to build and maintain HOV lanes. As far as reduced registration fees are concerned, this will require legislative action to amend current statutes. Please contact your two State Representatives and State Senator.

Edited May 15:
Please ignore this post because when I contacted ADOT I didn't realize that all Alternative Fuel plates had unrestricted access to the HOV lanes. ADOT's answer above didn't help to correct my thinking.

Thanks to Gonewild for the link on the Nissan website.

Here are my calculations. Right?

LEAF SL = $33,720 times 1% = $337.50 (AFV assessed value)

$4 for every $100 assessed value = about $13.00 for the first year, $10.50 for the second year, and on down to the $5.00 minimum.

Not bad! That saves hundreds of dollars a year in license fees! Just another reason to buy a LEAF.

Azrich said:
Thanks to Gonewild for the link on the Nissan website.

Here are my calculations. Right?

LEAF SL = $33,720 times 1% = $337.50 (AFV assessed value)

$4 for every $100 assessed value = about $13.00 for the first year, $10.50 for the second year, and on down to the $5.00 minimum.

Not bad! That saves hundreds of dollars a year in license fees! Just another reason to buy a LEAF.

The fees are the same no matter what the value of the car for the AF plates. Like I have posted earlier, it is around $15 for one year or you can pay $22 for TWO years at time of renewal. :) It doesn't decrease in later years which isn't necessary anyway. I'm very happy to drive in the HOV lanes. :D

Gonewild said:
SilverSL see my link I posted will answer your questions. HOV etc.
The link you posted was appreciated and provided some good information. However, without a legislation change the HOV lane benefit (Energy Efficient plate) will not be available for the Leaf. There are two related plates (Energy Efficient and Alternative Fuel). The Energy Efficient plate is simply the Alternative Fuel plate with a Hybrid sticker in the middle of it. No longer available, the Energy Efficient plates were limited to 10,000 and only available to Prius, Insight and Civic Hybrids. My recent question to ADOT was whether it was on their agenda to offer an HOV lane benefit to the Leaf (or other PEVs), to which they said no.

Now that I re-read the STATE OF ARIZONA Electric Vehicle Single Occupancy HOV Lane Use doc at the link you provided, I am wondering if those 10,000 Hybrids that were issued the Energy Efficient plates are going to lose the HOV benefit as of July 1, 2010. “Effective Dates: Current benefit expires July 1, 2010”. It will annoy the heck out of me having to be in the same slow lanes with tailpipe vehicles once I get my Leaf and watch as single occupant Prius cruises past me in the HOV lane.

Edited May 15:
Please ignore this entire post because I was confusing the two plates. However, I am still curious about the 10,000 Hybrids that were issued the Energy Efficient plates and if their HOV benefits expire July 1...

SilverSL said:
Gonewild said:
SilverSL see my link I posted will answer your questions. HOV etc.
The link you posted was appreciated and provided some good information. However, without a legislation change the HOV lane benefit (Energy Efficient plate) will not be available for the Leaf. There are two related plates (Energy Efficient and Alternative Fuel). The Energy Efficient plate is simply the Alternative Fuel plate with a Hybrid sticker in the middle of it. No longer available, the Energy Efficient plates were limited to 10,000 and only available to Prius, Insight and Civic Hybrids. My recent question to ADOT was whether it was on their agenda to offer an HOV lane benefit to the Leaf (or other PEVs), to which they said no.

Now that I re-read the STATE OF ARIZONA Electric Vehicle Single Occupancy HOV Lane Use doc at the link you provided, I am wondering if those 10,000 Hybrids that were issued the Energy Efficient plates are going to lose the HOV benefit as of July 1, 2010. “Effective Dates: Current benefit expires July 1, 2010”. It will annoy the heck out of me having to be in the same slow lanes with tailpipe vehicles once I get my Leaf and watch as single occupant Prius cruises past me in the HOV lane.

Silver, I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but BEV's ARE alternative fuel vehicles. There is no need for a separate category. If I have an AF plate RIGHT NOW for a dedicated cng vehicle, a BEV is LESS polluting than my present car and according to what I've seen in the statute, ALL electric cars are in the same category as mine. You asked them about 'Energy Efficient' plates...that is NOT what a BEV is. It isn't ANYTHING like a hybrid, so I'm sure you will be able to get a blue/AF plate here in Az. :)

leaffan said:
Well, I drive NOW in the HOV with my blue plate so I don't see it being any different with the LEAF. :)
Leaffan, I will send you a Private Message with my e-mail address and phone number in case you are interested in continuing this conversation. I agree, you will be able to get a blue AF plate for the Leaf, but not HOV lane privileges. (My opinion from what I have researched) The AF plates (with the sticker in the middle) that were issued to some CNG or to some Hybrids were part of HOV privilege programs to encourage early adoption of the technologies and can not be transferred to a Leaf. These programs were intended for limited quantities of applicants and for limited qualifying vehicles.

Edited May 15:
Please ignore this entire post because I was confusing the two plates.

Back