DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Re: Electrify America Network

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:19 pm

There are rumors that Aptera is going to use Tesla's network.
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:04 am

SageBrush wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:37 am
The other foot is dropping

I just read on Electrek that Tesla has announced a CCS1 adapter in S. Korea, to be available early 2021
I cannot think of any reason why the adapter will not be made available to N. America

I *suspect* that this is the first step in a Tesla transition to CCS1, but I don't really care. I'm tickled pink to expect to have access to both the Supercharger and generic DCFC networks in N. America.

CCS1 is bulky and ugly, but oh so practical
For those wondering -- this opens up the generic CCS1 charger networks to Tesla cars; it does not open up the Tesla Supercharger network to non Tesla CCS1 cars.
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/tesla ... ost-573871 posted by a Bolt driver has a translation of a message that South Korean Tesla drivers received along with background info about their Supercharger vs. other DC FC standard situation there.

Not including his translation, he said:
wesley wrote:Tesla's charging network is abysmal compared to the public DCFC infrastructure in Korea. As noted in the Electrek article, there are 33 SC and 150 DC stations in Korea. In contrast, there are a total of more than 23,200 public charging units as of August 2020, of which about 16,000 were L2 (7kW AC) and 7,100 were CCS1 DCFC. Note that this is not the number of stations, but since most stations have just one or two units you can sort of cut the number by half there.

One of the biggest complaints of the Korean Tesla owners was that there aren't enough SC/DC around, which is basically the reverse of the situation in the United States. The existing CHAdeMO adapter was not enough because the expansion of the CHAdeMO charging network pretty much stopped around 2018 after the Korean government chose CCS1 as the national standard the year prior, and the ones already in place can only charge up to about 40 kW.

The new public chargers installed by the government since 2019, numbering around two thousand last time I checked, were mostly CCS1-exclusive with 100 to 200 kW charging support. The newly announced official adapter looks like it may be able to take advantage of the faster speed, and if so, it would be an effective remedy for the said complaint.
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:19 pm
There are rumors that Aptera is going to use Tesla's network.
LOL! Yes. I saw the picture of the plug and thus the rumors.

I still doubt they will ship any significant number of vehicles to real customers in North America (at least whatever they've been showing off) before going under again.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:00 am

I hope not: the CCS-1 connector is a big bulky thing and the North American Tesla connector (used for SuperCharging as well as Level 2) is simple and easy to use.

I also think if they were going to change the handle it would have happened similar to Europe, where they enacted the change before releasing the Model 3.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Get a charge and a cheeseburger in paradise.

3200 FLAGLER AVENUE
Key West, FL 33040
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

GRA

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:03 pm

jlv wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:00 am
I hope not: the CCS-1 connector is a big bulky thing and the North American Tesla connector (used for SuperCharging as well as Level 2) is simple and easy to use.

I also think if they were going to change the handle it would have happened similar to Europe, where they enacted the change before releasing the Model 3.

While I agree about the CCS connector (which is why I would have mandated Tesla's if I were dictator), that's outweighed by having a single standard.

I think the situation was different here than in Europe, as they had more deployed CCS-2 chargers/EVSEs at the time. I would expect Tesla to switch over when they introduce the $25k (Sic.) car, if not at a mid-life update for some existing model.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:17 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:32 am
cwerdna wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 am
johnlocke wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 pm
Tesla Superchargers are private only because Tesla asked for the other manufacturers to help pay for the infrastructure costs if they wanted to use the supercharger system and all the other manufacturers declined. All the other manufacturers decided to leave charging infrastructure to third parties with predictable results.
There more to it than that, at least with what Elon's stated publicly. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic. ... 10#p457610. Who knows if he has some other conditions beyond what he stated publicly?
Obviously we can only speculate but that isn't all that tough considering

All billing, recognition, etc. is done "in" the station. IOW; no external ID or billing system. These means manufacturers "must" give up the name and info of their customers or require the customers to register directly with Tesla. The manufacturers would create a device that reports user info to the SC station.

This requires other manufacturers to give up a lot of data on their customers. IOW; the offer sounded good but it was essentially a no go from Day one.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3503 ... rchargers/ asserts that it's actually much worse than that. Hopefully you're able to read https://www.lexology.com/library/detail ... %20handles that they point to.

Road and Track piece is titled and starts off with:
"Why Other Car Companies Don't Use Tesla Superchargers
Tesla says it will give its charging technology to any automaker who wants it. But the fine print makes this a terrible deal, even if it's free."

I'm not a lawyer but if that lawyer's assertions in that blog entry are correct, I can see why nobody's taking them up on it, w/those terms.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Someone on another forum linked to https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/ and I noticed now even w/o selecting a state, they specifically spell out pricing in per-minute states vs. per-kWh states.

I think this was a recent change. Previously, I thought you had to change the drop down and go hunting to figure out which states got which regime and how many pricing schemes there were.

'19 Bolt Premier

GRA

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Needles in I-40, and lots of other unknown sites have opened with more sites "Coming soon". Current totals 534/147.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Probably the last new station of the year.

3300 S. Bristol Street
Santa Ana, CA 92704
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

GRA

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:50 pm

Sorry for the delay in this as well as my replies to other posts. I've been busy for the past week or so, but should get caught up in my replies over the next day or two.

At the end of December there are 534 sites open/147 "Coming soon", compared to 516/148 at the end of November, a gain of 18 open sites, and a gain for the year of 161 (373 at the end of 12/19).

Here's the list of road trip coverage expansion or gap filler "Coming soon" sites in the west I've been or will be monitoring, and consider most important for completion; three (Garberville, S. Lake Tahoe and Needles) opened last month and have been removed, while a new site in Aberdeen, WA (U.S. 101) has been added:

WA: Port Angeles and Aberdeen (U.S. 101); Leavenworth (U.S. 2); Poulsbo (S.R. 3/305/307).

Oregon: Bend (U.S. 97); Warrenton & Newport (U.S. 101).

CA: Greenfield & Solvang (U.S. 101); Pacific Grove (off S.R. 1); Los Banos, Harris Ranch, Lost Hills & Oceanside (I-5); Buck Meadows (S.R. 120); Oakhurst (S.R.41); Fenner (I-40).

AZ: Quartzsite (I-10); Williams & Kingman (I-40).

NV: Lovelock & W. Wendover (I-80).

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”