Vampire load on EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nater

Hi all, a friend just discovered that their Blink uses 50 watts all the time; this works out to 1.2kwh wasted per day, which is 5% of the Leaf's charge, wasted every day.

Are there any EVSE's that use ZERO watts when not in use?

Nate

nater said:
Hi all, a friend just discovered that their Blink uses 50 watts all the time; this works out to 1.2kwh wasted per day, which is 5% of the Leaf's charge, wasted every day.

Are there any EVSE's that use ZERO watts when not in use?

Nate

50 is WAY over the top. Mine uses 15watts in standby and that's been reported by other users as well.

What is he using to measure the power consumption?? My guess is he's reading something wrong.

thankyouOB said:
you can pull the crank on it when you are not using it.
Don't they collect charging data from the Blink to send back somewhere for monitoring/studies as required if you happen to get a free gov't subsidized one installed? If you pull the plug on it everyday, the data collection portion is not going to work, is it?

I wonder how to data get transmitted back to them? Does the Blink have a cell signal? Or do you need to provide wifi connection to the Blink.

Volusiano said:
I wonder how to data get transmitted back to them? Does the Blink have a cell signal? Or do you need to provide wifi connection to the Blink.

Extensive discussion about the Blink and connectivity is found here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3092

Blink defaults to WiFi, can be wired Ethernet, apparently could be a data "cell phone".

Back on topic, my Mod-L1 EVSE (L1/L2 capable) draws about 0.01 amps when connected to 120v (L1). That is about 1 watt.

i unplugged it while waiting for the car to save the energy. now that I am paying 1/8 the cost of gas to drive, I prolly feel sufficiently rewarded to leave in on.

Once we upgrade the Nissan EVSE, the idle load drops to about 1.6 watts on 120v. I couldn't get it any lower without significant expense, but it's a reasonable figure. Many cell phone chargers pull more than that!

-Phil

I have both the AV charging dock and the Blink Charging dock. I was out of town for 2.5 weeks and left them both on, but did not plug in the car. I have a dedicated meter that serves only the docks. Those two units used 11 kWh during the 17 days. (And since it is a time-of-use meter, more of it was "partial peak" than "off peak" -- now that we've entered May I will also be accumulating "peak" charges.) So, not horrible, but I've decided to power off the dock for the parking space I use less often, and only flip it on when I need it. (Until we get a plug-in Prius that will use the second dock.)

margie100 said:
I have both the AV charging dock and the Blink Charging dock. I was out of town for 2.5 weeks and left them both on, but did not plug in the car. I have a dedicated meter that serves only the docks. Those two units used 11 kWh during the 17 days. (And since it is a time-of-use meter, more of it was "partial peak" than "off peak" -- now that we've entered May I will also be accumulating "peak" charges.) So, not horrible, but I've decided to power off the dock for the parking space I use less often, and only flip it on when I need it. (Until we get a plug-in Prius that will use the second dock.)
So that's about a 27W vampire draw between the two. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me! That's about 20 kWh/month or about 4% of my current monthly power consumption!

I'm measuring my new Blink charger and reading 12.45W on standby.
It's on ethernet (not WiFi, but I doubt it matters)

This number comes from the SDG&E meter itself, so I have every reason to think it's accurate.

At very low loads, the meter may not be accurate.

I measured significantly more than this on a Blink unit with a NIST traceable calibrated Fluke bench DMM, though I can't remember the exact number.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
At very low loads, the meter may not be accurate.
The meter had better be accurate -- it's my tariff meter. :)

That is, the rate at which energy is accruing on the SDG&E meter is 12.45Wh/hr.

In a sense, I suppose I don't really care if the Blink is actually drawing 50 Watts, if the billable meter is recording it at 12.45 Watts. That would be a neat trick, though.

Unit to unit variation?
Improved internals in just the few months they've been installing them?
Inaccurate SDG&E meter?

At low power levels, an "accurate" power meter
might be in error by a large percentage.

The allowed error is probably a percent of full scale,
or something similar ... as I vaguely recall.

GroundLoop said:
I'm measuring my new Blink charger and reading 12.45W on standby.

I understand that they are working on a 'sleep' feature. I wonder how many watts it will be then, with the screen off.

LEAFfan said:
I understand that they are working on a 'sleep' feature. I wonder how many watts it will be then, with the screen off.

With the way the Blink firmware behaves so far, I don't have much faith in their competence. My guess is the new "sleep" feature will cause it to use double the energy! :roll:

Back