The EVSE [has killed] my Orange tree :(

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

I live in a house built by the 50s. There's a gorgeous (and delicious) orange tree on the side of my house which unfortunately is close to the electric panel.

Just received the permit today. GWP says that I need to remove the orange tree to install the second meter. (and upgrade the panel to 200a if I want to add PV later)

It's that or move the electric panel. (which sounds really expensive)

Yay - my wife is not going to like this. I love that tree - but it is REALLY close to the house. Fun fun.

Add this to the wonderful things standing in the path of getting this car.

cdub said:
I live in a house built by the 50s. There's a gorgeous (and delicious) orange tree on the side of my house which unfortunately is close to the electric panel.

Just received the permit today. GWP says that I need to remove the orange tree to install the second meter. (and upgrade the panel to 200a if I want to add PV later)

It's that or move the electric panel. (which sounds really expensive)

Yay - my wife is not going to like this. I love that tree - but it is REALLY close to the house. Fun fun.

Add this to the wonderful things standing in the path of getting this car.

Is there any room on the other side of the tree for the meter? SDG&E allowed my electrician to run about 3 feet of conduit being an existing tree for the meter. So now I have my main meter on one side of the tree and my EV meter on the other side of the tree. :)

That might be a possibility. Maybe I'll have them come out next week and look at that option.

But - if and when I get solar I'll need to upgrade the panel to 200a and I'll run into this same issue once again.

The tree IS really close to the house. Oy.

This is probably a dumb question but is the second meter a requirement where you are? Where I am serviced by PG&E its an option.

TRONZ said:
This is due to the "proximity" issue for a second meter I take it???

Correct.

That and if I eventually add solar I'd need to upgrade from 100 to 200 and that would be a "proximity issue" for that install.

Your tree can be moved.

http://www.landscapeonline.com/products/listing.php?id=4518

Senna Tree
Senna Tree Company provides landscape architects, contractors, builders and industry professionals with expertise and quality in the specialized field of mature tree preservation and relocation. Our teams of highly trained tree moving experts combine decades of experience with great skill and care to produce unparalleled transplant survivability. Senna Tree Company’s fleet of specialized equipment, including a 14-ton through 120-ton cranes and 100-ton platform trailer provides unrivaled in-house capability, producing a differential advantage evident in our ability to competitively price, mobilize and perform most projects independent of operated rental equipment and the experience limitations of non-company personnel. The result is greater conrol over job safety, production, quality and transplant survivability.

Yeah but I doubt it can be moved if it's that close to my house. It'd probably destroy my foundation. (It's a 60 year house - heck the tree probably has it's roots in my foundation by now)

You can always plant a new tree in a better spot. Cara Cara and Trovita are two great choices, sweeter than the usual Washington or Robertson navel. They'll start by bearing several oranges in about two years, maybe ten or fifteen the third year, and then you're set.

If you put in Solar PV, will the tree shade the panels too much?
Might need a haircut?

If you will need a panel replacement for the PV system, where would that go, and would it contain both meters?

Save the tree and house, if you can.

so camera broke? on posts like this it amazes me that you have not posted a picture. i can toss all kinds of options out there, but without seeing what i am supposed to be talking about, i simply...cant

Geez here you go:

IMG_20110430_182649.jpg

I think I'm going to follow Deanneg's advice and plant another orange tree in a better location. I might even harvest some seeds for saplings off of this one so it carries on.

IMG_20110430_182702.jpg

Back