Hot garage and charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarchargeddriver

Given that we live in Colorado, we probably won't be installing a charge station for a LEAF for, oh, I don't know, at least a year and a half ;-)

But seriously, I've been wondering as our garage heats up in the summer sun again this year if we can, or even should, put a charging station in a garage that regularly reaches summer temperatures in excess of 100 degrees and sometimes pushes 110 degrees, and then takes all night to cool off (can't leave the garage open due to HOA regulations).

Do high temperatures reduce the efficiency of the charger? Are they a potential fire hazard?

Other thoughts/experiences on hot garages and charging an EV?

solarchargeddriver said:
Given that we live in Colorado, we probably won't be installing a charge station for a LEAF for, oh, I don't know, at least a year and a half ;-)
But seriously, I've been wondering as our garage heats up in the summer sun again this year if we can, or even should, put a charging station in a garage that regularly reaches summer temperatures in excess of 100 degrees and sometimes pushes 110 degrees, and then takes all night to cool off (can't leave the garage open due to HOA regulations).
Do high temperatures reduce the efficiency of the charger? Are they a potential fire hazard?
Other thoughts/experiences on hot garages and charging an EV?

Our garage has already exceeded 100 degrees, but the charging station can take it and it will be no problem with the charger in the car either. Nissan said not to allow the car in 120 or higher for 24 hours as it can degrade the battery pack.

The EVSE (charging station) was designed to be used to charge the vehicle, just like your air conditioner was designed to cool your house. There should be no issue charging in a hot garage. The Blink manual lists the temp rating between -22F and +122F, and I a fairly certain to obtain UL certification they test at, near, or beyond those temps.

As far as efficiency I don't think there is very much data on the effect of temp yet

-Matt

Back