EVDRIVER

Re: GE WattStation Alert/Warning!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

These are not chargers they are "charge cords", EVSE units. To call them chargers only makes it more confusing to newbies. These issues are not related to all EVSE units only this one at this time.

sub3marathonman
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2012

Re: GE Wattstation Dead on Day 2 of use.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:00 pm

jms wrote:
I've seen cases on here about the diode failing and it not having anything to do with a wattstation. for example http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My concern is this: If the AeroVironment evse and the 110 evse provided by Nissan do not do the diode check, then how would you know that yours had failed? It is possible that the diode has a high rate of failure but since AeroVironment and Nissan are ignoring that part of J1772 standard it goes undetected?
But there are apparently other cases besides those of the Wattstation. And apparently one of the Wattstation problems was after a lightning strike, which in my opinion wouldn't be the fault of the GE unit.

Has anybody compiled a list of the diode failures and what EVSE they were using?

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: GE Wattstation Dead on Day 2 of use.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I doubt that Nissan would have stuck its neck out with the advisory letter had they not already been working in concert with GE on a problem they both agreed was occurring. There'd be a heck of a libel suit otherwise!
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Gizmoe1164
Delivery Date: 26 May 2012

Re: does hardwire wattstation lose less electricty vs plug i

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:41 pm

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 10 days ago. I also purchased a GE Wattstation Level 2 charger at Lowes for $999 and 10% off military discount as I'm retired USMC. My oldest son is a licensed electrician, so installation was FREE. All was well for the first 5 days, then the Leaf decided it was not going to accept a charge any longer, either from the GE Wattstation or the Nissan supplied trickle charger. The Leaf is back at the dealership for repairs and I'm driving a dealership supplied loaner, a gas guzzeling Nissan SUV. Yesterday the dealership service manager called to say that they expect to have the car repaired by the end of the week; and asked what type of Level 2 charger I was using. They seemed a bit taken aback that I was not using the Nissan branded Level 2 charger ($2500 installed) and had installed the GE Wattstation instead. They implied that maybe the GE Wattstation Level 2 charger was the problem and not the Leaf itself in that they had 2 other Leafs with the same issue using the Wattstation. I wonder if there's any validity to the dealership assertion that my GE Wattstation Level 2 charger may have killed my Leaf.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: does hardwire wattstation lose less electricty vs plug i

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 pm

The GE Wattstation and the Aerovironment L2 units are NOT chargers, they're EVSEs. The charger is inside your car, under the hump in the back.

Even prior to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I recall seeing plenty of posts about the Wattstation being bad news w/the Leaf. I wouldn't buy one.

There is this running thread... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Re: GE WattStation Alert/Warning!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 pm

padamson1 wrote:Apparently there is a serious issue with the GE WattStation EVSE when used with a LEAF...

http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-dealer ... 23121.html

[edit]also HybridCars.com has a similar report
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/ge-watts ... 48410.html
It's unfortunate that this post which I thought had its own thread and thus is now buried in here. :(

Potential Wattstation purchasers may not find it. It looks like some posts from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9159" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ("does hardwire wattstation lose less electricty vs plug in?") got moved here. I replied and either I replied to the wrong thread or it got moved here. So, I deleted it from this thread and re-replied back over there.

Sigh... and my re-reply got moved here again!

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveEV

Re: GE WattStation Problem Thread (Was: Dead on Day 2 of use

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Yeah, I merged the threads. Either that or I (or another mod) sift through 8 pages of posts and split all the non-charging LEAF posts in this thread into another thread. Seems that a GE WattStation Problem thread is easier.

Your re-reply was in the wrong thread completely which was discussing hard-wiring, not GE WattStation frying LEAF chargers.

Edit: Reviewed this thread - the WattStation killing the diode came into discussion on the 2nd page. No way it's getting unraveled now.

cwerdna

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 pm

drees wrote:Yeah, I merged the threads. Either that or I (or another mod) sift through 8 pages of posts and split all the non-charging LEAF posts in this thread into another thread. Seems that a GE WattStation Problem thread is easier.

Your re-reply was in the wrong thread completely which was discussing hard-wiring, not GE WattStation frying LEAF chargers.
I recall there were posts in the "does hardwire wattstation lose less electricty vs plug in?" thread that also discussed compatibility and damage to the Leaf as a result of the Wattstation. I was replying to that.

I think those got moved here...

Personally, I think the recent warning stories in the media belong in its own thread and ought to be a sticky. That's the only EVSE I'm aware of that damages the Leaf. Not buying one (until the problem is fixed) == people not making a mistake in spending all that $. Also, it's a good warning for people that might go to a friend's/relative's house to charge on their Wattstation. I'd hate for Leaf owners to have to replace the charger once it goes out of warranty...

'19 Bolt Premier

JustinC
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2011

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

This is a very serious issue, and now it's being reported on Autoblog Green, and I feel fortunate that I didn't buy one of these as I had considered. I came here today searching for a thread on this, and I didn't immediately find this thread because I searched with a space between the words, like Watt Station, so hopefully this post will help in that respect.

Watt Station + Leaf = No Charge
Last edited by JustinC on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Black LEAF
Jan 1, 2013 Status = [15 months] [6K miles] [12 Bars]

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

It really is unfortunate. I did consider the unit too.

Too early to lay blame. It could be either side, or it might just be that neither side has a specific defect, just some weird unanticipated interaction between them.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”