6.6 kw charger on 2012 SL model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafv

I found this thread where it was done on a 2013 model. However I know the 2012 is different. So, I wanted to know if anyone has done a 3.3 (on all 2012 models) to 6.6 upgrade. The difference from 40 minutes to an hour and a half on a 99 mile battery is massive so that is very important.

There are some threads discussing addition of aftermarket add-on chargers (to work in conjunction with original onboard charger) to 2011 and 2012 cars. Onboard chargers on 2011 and 2012 models are completely different from 2013 and later cars and they are located behind the rear seat. A better solution for faster charging of 2011 or 2012 (if they have the QC port option) would be a small DCQC charger which would plug into a normal 14-50 receptacle and run on single-phase 208 or 240 volts. I was looking for one before my 2011 met its untimely demise.

Do a search for Brusa chargers on this forum. They work in conjunction with the onboard charger to yield up to ~7kW/hr on L2 charging. You also need something like a LeafDD as a controller.

91040 said:
Do a search for Brusa chargers on this forum. They work in conjunction with the onboard charger to yield up to ~7kW/hr on L2 charging. You also need something like a LeafDD as a controller.
What's "~7kW/hr"?

cwerdna said:
91040 said:
What's "~7kW/hr"?
Just what it says, I'm sure: An accelerating charging rate that starts out at zero, builds to 7kW by the end of the first hour, 14kW after 2 hours, 21kW after 3, and so on.

I found it was easier and cheaper just to buy a home chademo.
Forget 6.6kw, I charge at around 8kw.

Oilpan4 said:

You cannot be talking about the large connector chademo? They are $7,000.

You must mean you are charging level 2, (240 volt).

There is no reason anyone should get a chademo in their house... Unless you have a half dozen Leafs in your driveway..

I was afraid of that. Guess it should have been ~7kWh per hour.

cwerdna said:
91040 said:
What's "~7kW/hr"?

91040 said:
I was afraid of that. Guess it should have been ~7kWh per hour.
You mean ~7kW.

Just think through the math and you'll see the units cancel:
7 kWh / hour = 7 kW hour / hour = 7 kW

powersurge said:
Oilpan4 said:

You cannot be talking about the large connector chademo? They are $7,000.

You must mean you are charging level 2, (240 volt).

There is no reason anyone should get a chademo in their house... Unless you have a half dozen Leafs in your driveway..

I have a little single or 3 phase capable 240v chademo. It's rated for 10kw. I bought a broken setec home chademo for dirt cheap and fixed it. Last time I checked a new one is like $3,500.
It was the cheapest easiest way I could think of to make a 2011 leaf charge faster than 3.8kw.
Since bursa chargers are like a grand or 2 each.

Back