Page 1 of 1

my new plates

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm
by tech01
Just got my plates! 313 hope this isn't a harbinger of luck. A parking official in DesPlaines stopped, got out of her vehicle checked the front plate, then checked the back plate, repeated the process. returned to her vehicle with what appeared to be a ticket book, I then intervened. She had noticed the plate as not being one she had ever seen and also noted that it was good for two years. So she was now going to run the vehicle vin, as nothing came back with the plate number. We had a conversation about the relative merits of the leaf, she didn't get the whole vin but is now informed on what a great car Leafs are and all went away happy. Illinois doesn't seem to be on top of the whole "Electric Car" thing yet! Also we thought that the image of Lincoln should be centered between EL and the number sequence. ;)

Re: my new plates

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:58 pm
by lspooz
tech01 wrote:Just got my plates! 313 hope this isn't a harbinger of luck. A parking official in DesPlaines stopped, got out of her vehicle checked the front plate, then checked the back plate, repeated the process. returned to her vehicle with what appeared to be a ticket book, I then intervened. She had noticed the plate as not being one she had ever seen and also noted that it was good for two years. So she was now going to run the vehicle vin, as nothing came back with the plate number. We had a conversation about the relative merits of the leaf, she didn't get the whole vin but is now informed on what a great car Leafs are and all went away happy. Illinois doesn't seem to be on top of the whole "Electric Car" thing yet! Also we thought that the image of Lincoln should be centered between EL and the number sequence. ;)

photo?!?

Re: my new plates

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:49 pm
by ebill3
lspooz wrote: photo?!?
Yes. Not clear what the problem, question, discrepency is.

Bill

Re: my new plates

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 pm
by garygid
Apparently Illinois plates for an EV have a new "style" that the officer
was not familiar with: "EL<space><numbers>" or similar.

Just a description of the encounter, no question or problem.

Re: my new plates

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 pm
by Nubo
ebill3 wrote:
lspooz wrote: photo?!?
Yes. Not clear what the problem, question, discrepency is.

Bill

Image

JUST KIDDING :mrgreen:

If this PDF is accurate, I have no idea how a meter reader would cope. There are more specialty plates than you can shake a stick at! The EL plate is several pages into the listing.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publi ... vsd665.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: my new plates

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 am
by SteveInSeattle
I love the satirical plate!!!!

Re: my new plates

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm
by tech01
No photo yet. "Beano" is on loan to a neighbor for a mini van today as it will not hold 3 adults and two kids worth of luggage. The meter maid in DesPlaines thought a plate number that low was someone important and maybe didn't want to miss a photo opp. The vehicle was parked legally, though in Chicago that isn't always relevant. We wonder if other states have special plates at reduced cost? Love the governor lic. plate! It occurs to me that a license plate frame with the gov theme would be a hit. Maybe Blago could make some money that way. We would pop for that one.

Re: my new plates

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 pm
by EdmondLeaf
tech01 wrote:We wonder if other states have special plates at reduced cost?
OK- no special plates, no reduced cost, no incentives for EV at all