Dash Cam For My Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectriCute

A few days ago I had a 3 channel dash cam setup installed in my new Leaf. For anyone sitting on the fence trying to decide whether to get one or not, I strongly advise you to go ahead and do so. A three channel, or three camera unit means; one camera up front shooting video through the windshield, one camera shooting video back into the interior of the vehicle, and one shooting video out the back window.

We decided on getting one about three years ago after my wife witnesses a fatal accident at an intersection. She was first in line in the left turning lane waiting for the green arrow allowing her to make her turn. Cross traffic had the green light. Soon, the cross traffic light turned red, and the left turning lane that my wife was in, turned green. Moments after she got the green arrow, some fool in a huge pickup truck ran the red light, going across her path from left to right. Had the driver of the truck entered the intersection a few moments later, my wife would have been right in his path. Fortunately for her, the truck driver entered earlier before my wife was to make her turn. At the same time this guy drove through the red light, another driver was trying to get out of the intersection making a left turn which put him right in the path of the truck. The left turn driver was hit, and hit hard. Unfortunately, he died instantly on impact. All of this taking place right in front of my wife to witness. The police report showed that from skid marks etc., the driver of the truck was going about 60 mph. The speed limit was 45. By the time my wife got home, she was shaking like a leaf. Soon after, I put a single camera cam on my front windshield. We were driving a Toyota Camry at the time. About three months later, my wife witnessed another fatal accident while driving to work around 5:30am. As she was approaching an intersection where the light just turned green, a pickup truck slammed the back of a Jeep Cherokee that was at the intersection going in the opposite direction to my wife. The jeep was pushed across the intersection and off to it's right. Fortunately not to the the left as it would have been in my wife's path. A few moments after the jeep was hit, it burst into flames, killing the driver. All of this was captured on our cam. The scene looked like a war zone. The video clip was given to the police and used as evidence. The driver of the pickup truck was impaired, coming home late from a party.

So, should we install dash cams in our cars? I personally think we should. Not only for what you might witness, but if you were involved in an accident yourself, and especially if there are no witnesses. And what about fraud, people who plan accidents in order to make falls claims on insurance?

I just thought I would post this in hopes of helping individuals think about getting a dash cam set up in their own vehicles. You never know when you might need it while sharing the roads with lunatics.

If you are wondering why I have an interior cam, there might be a time when I'm pulled over, and having to deal with a police officer that is giving me a difficult time accusing me of something I didn't do. Sorry, officer, but I have it all on camera! You sure you want to give me that ticked and make a full of yourself in court?

Yikes, that's scary.

I just went and ordered a VIOFO A129 Plus Duo. I'm reading about how to wire it using a fuse tap. Does anyone know what size fuses are in the little accessory panel inside the cabin (2022)? It seems different cars use different sizes. (mini, micro, low profile etc...)

The accessory (aka lighter) plug is, IIRC, on a 10A fuse. If you want your dash cam to keep running with the car turned off (as police often insist) then you want either a circuit that stays "hot" with the car off, or you want a direct, fused tap to the 12 volt battery.

BAsrican said:
Yikes, that's scary.

I just went and ordered a VIOFO A129 Plus Duo. I'm reading about how to wire it using a fuse tap. Does anyone know what size fuses are in the little accessory panel inside the cabin (2022)? It seems different cars use different sizes. (mini, micro, low profile etc...)

You got yourself a great cam. VIOFO make a good product. My previous cam was the VIOFO A119s.

I had the A139 installed. I was going with the A129 Plus, but considering all the things that happen regarding bad cops, etc., I wanted the third interior cam. Hard wiring the cam can be done yourself, but I opted to have it installed professionally. If I tried to do it myself, I know I would have messed up something. I was born with all thumbs. 🙄😂

I've also become a fan of car cams. I'm too lazy and tight-fisted to go 3rd party, but Tesla has a built-in solution that I have learned to really appreciate. It not only records while driving, but also when parked. I have it set to not record at home in order to save energy, but otherwise I feel better knowing that if I am in an accident that the other driver is at fault it will not be lied about; and that any vandalism away from home will be recorded.

It's a bit strange, but nowadays I dislike driving without a cam. I feel vulnerable.

SageBrush said:
I've also become a fan of car cams. I'm too lazy and tight-fisted to go 3rd party, but Tesla has a built-in solution that I have learned to really appreciate. It not only records while driving, but also when parked. I have it set to not record at home in order to save energy, but otherwise I feel better knowing that if I am in an accident that the other driver is at fault it will not be lied about; and that any vandalism away from home will be recorded.

It's a bit strange, but nowadays I dislike driving without a cam. I feel vulnerable.

ALL cars should come with built in cams all around.

ElectriCute said:
ALL cars should come with built in cams all around.

Many newer cars including my new SL+ has nice cameras all around used for lane control, parking assist etc. Wish they used the same installed cameras for safety recording purposes similar to what Tesla is doing.

Having said that, I am also planning to install a dash-cam myself. I was t-boned last year at an intersection so I have a firsthand experience at how valuable having footage would be. Red light running truck hit me in my Outback which got totaled that day but saved my life. Thankfully there was a witness willing to confirm my story as the truck driver was initially insisting she had green... Had it not been for the witness and since I did not have a dash-cam I was going to have trouble sorting out the claim.

SageBrush said:
...Tesla has a built-in solution that I have learned to really appreciate. It not only records while driving, but also when parked.

I think that's a cool idea. I'm also looking to hardwire my dash-cam to enable parking-mode. Full recording when Leaf is on (wired to a switched fuse), and also motion-detected recording when Leaf is off (so I need to also connect a wire to an always-on fuse).

Has anyone here done that in their Leaf? I can't seem to find which style of fuse Nissan uses in the interior fuse panel. There are so many different fuse-tap styles: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fuse+tap&i=automotive

Back