strange behavior of the dash miles/kWH meter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klapauzius

Did anyone notice that the instant energy economy seems to lag for a few seconds? Sometimes I press down the accelerator and it still gives me a full bar, i.e. 8 Miles/kWh. Sometimes it remains stuck in this setting for a while. On short distances this seriously skews the average mile/kWH... I have a feeling that this happens more often in ECO mode, but I am curious if anyone else had this experience?

You "floor" it when the "instant" meter is reading 8 mpkWh (mpe), and then it takes about how long to drop to the appropriate low value?

What this meter shows, and how its reading is "smoothed" (averaged) does not necessarily (should not) affect the proper calculation of the trip's (or the 5-minute) "averege" mpe value.

sometimes it is stuck at the 8 mi/kwh setting for several seconds.
I also noted that the average sometimes get updated on the next trip. i.e. I stop
the car with 3.9 and when i turn it back on it shows 3.5.

Seems to me a half-second (or less) average would be better for the "instant" m/kWh meter!

Maybe the meter does not get good (accurate enough) information fast enough?

The trip average being wrong just sounds like a computational error, but who knows? ;)
(some engineer or programmer in Nissan, perhaps?)

klapauzius said:
Did anyone notice that the instant energy economy seems to lag for a few seconds? Sometimes I press down the accelerator and it still gives me a full bar, i.e. 8 Miles/kWh. Sometimes it remains stuck in this setting for a while. ...
I had this happen to me twice today.

The first time was after traveling 19 miles & climbing 2500' followed by a 12 mile decent of 2600'. Then I started back up another hill and noticed that even though I was climbing the dash miles/KWH meter was stuck at 8 no matter how I positioned the gas peddle. It went back to normal after about 5 minutes when I switched the cruise control back on.

The second time was on the return trip on the same 19 miles only this time dropping down 2500'. About 1/2 way down where the road flattens out a bit I noticed that the gauge was stuck on 8 miles/kwh again only this time it wouldn't return to normal despite my trying to speed up, slow down or even stop. After getting home and coming to another complete stop, the gauge would drop to zero, but as soon as I put the car into drive and started moving it went back to 8.

I then stopped the car, turned off the ignition, waited a few seconds and turn it back on. Everything was back to normal. Very weird.

Seems like it gets stuck if you drive for a while (> 10 minutes maybe) at over 8 kwh. When it's stuck, the average goes up even though it's clearly not correct. Also, when the dash gauge is stuck, the instant gauge on the Energy Economy screen of the nav unit is also stuck at 8 kwh.

I've driven down this same road probably 6 or 7 times in the last few weeks and this is the first time it's happened.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? I could take it back to the dealer, but at this point I'm not sure how I would reproduce the error.

After some period of regen, the instantaneous mi/kWh meter on the dash will read 8 mi / kWh until the car has used up all the power you picked up from regen.

So the more energy you've regenerated, the longer it will read 8 once back on the accelerator.

A bit annoying - but you can use it to judge how effective your braking was and how much braking effort was lost to friction.

Broken As Designed. (BAD not WAD)
From the Owners Manual, page 2-27:
Instant energy economy:
The instant energy economy mode shows the instant energy economy via a moving bar graph. When regenerated energy is being stored in the Li-ion battery while driving, the instant energy economy display will show the maximum value. The maximum value will then continue to be displayed until the regenerated power is consumed.
Ray

Instant energy economy:
The instant energy economy mode shows the instant energy economy via a moving bar graph. When regenerated energy is being stored in the Li-ion battery while driving, the instant energy economy display will show the maximum value. The maximum value will then continue to be displayed until the regenerated power is consumed.
This also affects the m/kwh that the dash shows. mpkwh continues to increase until all the regen energy has been consumed. I think of it as a design flaw. Regen should be accounted for when regen is happening, not later.

I've read the manual a couple of times, but obviously the bit about how the instant KWH gauge works didn't stick in my brain!

My thanks to drees, Ray & evnow for the lesson.

Guess I need to crack that manual open one more time!

Dave

Latest posts

Back