ALeafHaver
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2019

2011 Leaf, battery near 8 year/100k warranty - Question

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:38 am

Hi everyone (first post here, and a cross-post from the /leaf subreddit, so apologies if you're seeing it twice),

I have a 2011 Leaf that I purchased last year (I initially at least liked it so much overall that I bought a second one). It's approaching the 8-year in-service date, which as I understand it includes a warranty that covers battery defects and/or bad cells, as well as the on-board charging machinery in the car.

The battery has lost a good amount of its charge (down to 5 bars of the original 12), and I know that capacity loss on its own is covered by a different warranty. However, I am thinking something might possibly be wrong with the battery and/or the on-board charging system beyond normal degradation - at various points in the last few months, there's been the car icon on the dashboard with an exclamation mark, and for a short time there was a "see dealer"-type notification on the dash as well. Although I think neither of these lights are regularly showing up now, which I figure might make any problem harder to diagnose.

Additionally, the battery's driving range itself has gone down substantially in just the year that I've had the car, and CHAdeMO charging appears to be substantially slower than with the other 2011 Leaf I have (which I understand to have had a battery replacement under warranty before I purchased the car due to capacity loss), despite having what I would presume to be fewer cells to charge overall. Haven't directly compared J-1772 charging rates, but at least the dashboard "amount of charging time to 100%" suggest that this Leaf (with the original battery) gets to 100% much quicker on Level 2 than the other.

I certainly want to get this Leaf's battery inspected before this warranty passes, and hadn't given a ton of thought to where I got the inspection done, but it's occurred to me that some dealerships might be either less than fully knowledgeable about the Leaf battery, and/or resistant to diagnose anything wrong that might possibly necessitate a battery replacement. I'm not looking to have the battery replacement if the apparent deterioration is due to things truly not covered by the warranty, but I also don't want to potentially be jerked around by a service center that either doesn't know much more than I do about battery problems, and/or one is likely to go out of its way to avoid any kind of diagnosis that might mean a battery replacement or some other substantial repair covered under warranty.
I'm in Tennessee; has anyone had particularly good experiences with any dealership's service center that they feel has treated them fairly and has been particularly knowledgeable? And has anyone had experiences with battery issues other than capacity loss that were determined to either be covered or not be covered by the 8 year/100000 mile warranty on a 2011/2012 Leaf?

Thank you for any insight fellow Leaf-havers or former Leaf-havers might be able to offer.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: 2011 Leaf, battery near 8 year/100k warranty - Question

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:52 am

ALeafHaver wrote: I have a 2011 Leaf that I purchased last year (I initially at least liked it so much overall that I bought a second one). It's approaching the 8-year in-service date, which as I understand it includes a warranty that covers battery defects and/or bad cells, as well as the on-board charging machinery in the car..
OBC is NOT covered by 8 year/100K warranty. It's part of the 5 year/60K warranty EV system warranty. See your warranty booklet.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

davewill

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 am

Unfortunately, except for the warning lights, that all sounds pretty normal for a badly degraded battery.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

ALeafHaver
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks. So decreasingly efficient CHAdeMO charging speed is at least-somewhat typical as a general battery aging-related issue? It seems like CHAdeMO charging has become much less efficient since I've had the car, although maybe I'm just noticing it more now in comparison to the other Leaf.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 am

While it isn't impossible that you've developed a bad cell, it is much more likely that you haven't. You can use the LeafSpy Pro app to show the voltages for all of the cells individually, and this will tell you if you have a bad cell. The dealership would have to do a different, Nissan-approved test called a CVLI to determine if it was eligible for warranty replacement, but LeafSpy is the first step. Read the topic here that applies to your phone (android or IOS).
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Tortoisehead77
Delivery Date: 31 May 2018
Leaf Number: 307925

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:44 am

Where did you read that a 2011 Leaf has a 8 year/100k warranty on the battery? That's the first I've heard of this.

cwerdna

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 pm

^^^
It's only for battery defects.

See https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... ooklet.pdf. https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/na ... nualsGuide only goes back to '13, but you can alter the URL and the PDF is still there.

Prior to the 5 year/60K capacity warranty (https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13192) that came about due to the Klee class action lawsuit settlement, Nissan published this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DShtvd5jJHQ.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Use LeafSpy to pull diagnostic codes. The only unusual or concerning thing I've seen your statement is the warning lights. Even my very badly degraded 7 (almost 6) bar battery never threw any warning lights or see dealer type codes.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

cwerdna

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:25 pm

IIRC, the Pro version of Leaf Spy is needed to pull up the DTCs. OP would be best served by retrieving those first to see if it's something serious, would/wouldn't be covered or due to the 3G TCU bugs (which there's a TSB for).

'19 Bolt Premier

davewill

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:56 pm

ALeafHaver wrote:Thanks. So decreasingly efficient CHAdeMO charging speed is at least-somewhat typical as a general battery aging-related issue? It seems like CHAdeMO charging has become much less efficient since I've had the car, although maybe I'm just noticing it more now in comparison to the other Leaf.
Yes, as batteries age their internal resistance goes up, which causes them to heat up more when you charge them. As a result, they can't be charged as quickly. The BMS knows this and will adjust the charge rate accordingly. I would expect as the battery degrades that a full recharge on CHAdeMO would continue to take a roughly similar amount of time to charging a new battery despite the degraded one holding less energy.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”