Maintenance+Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akohekohe

I got a brochure when I took delivery of the Leaf that covered an extended warranty plan called Security+Plus and a pre-paid maintenance plan called Maintenance+Plus. After reading the brochure it seems we have until the first service interval (6 months or 7,500 miles) to decide whether or not we want the Maintenance+Plus and three years or 36,000 miles to decide on the Security+Plus plan. Since the Maintenance+Plus decision deadline is approaching I am wondering if anyone has made a decision on this and if so why or why not?

DarkStar said:
What are they covering?

I'm not sure. Here is what it says about it in the Service Manual:

Maintenance+Plus offers four service levels, two service intervals and five time and mileage periods... so it’s easy to find a plan that’s right for you. Didn’t purchase Maintenance+Plus at the time of vehicle delivery? Don’t sweat the small stuff, ‘New’ Maintenance+Plus contracts can be purchased any time within the first 6-months/7,500-miles of original vehicle sale date. If for some reason you missed this initial window a ‘Used’ Maintenance+Plus contract may be purchased at any time throughout the life of the vehicle. Just contact your selling Nissan LEAF certified dealer and tell them you’d like to take advantage of one of the best maintenance plans available for your Nissan today.

The extended warranty minefield.. is it provided by Nissan, by the dealer or by a third party?.. read up on this web site and you will know what questions to ask:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

The maintance plan on ICE cars only covers oil changes and half price rotates if I recall. Usually maintance plans are not worth it. The higher level warranty plans are usally pretty good and cover alot more. If you plan on keeping the car for long time it may be worth looking into. It all depends if they have adapted it for an leaf from the ICE plan.

When I purchased my Prius in 2002, I had a similar situation, and that is whether or not to buy an extended warranty (8 yr/75K miles). Because the HEV was relative new technology at that time, I considered buying the warranty, but I thought the cost was excessive (don't remember the cost but I think about 1500+$). What eventually happened was a Toyota dealer started selling the warranty (I think about 950$) to all Prius owners and not only those who purchased at their dealership. This was the Toyota warranty and not a second-party. At the discount price, there were many takers, including myself. As it turns out, I never had any claim that required use of the warranty. I wonder if a similar situation will arise with a Nissan dealership offering the Nissan extended warranty at discount, if this is allowed.

Ultimately, the decision to purchase the warranty is a risk/benefit analysis. Of the two times I have purchased an auto extended warranty, I have not collected on either one. For the LEAF, I am not sure what I will do until I take ownership, but will monitor other owners experience and the cost before deciding.

We just bought last week, and are curious to hear more about people's thoughts on the Maintenance Plus offer. Our dealer is offering the 5 year, 75K, zero deductible plan for $595. I typically don't purchase these things, but I'm wondering if this makes sense, given that service is suggested every 6 months and I'll probably wind up having it serviced at the dealer anyway.

rich

RasPdx said:
We just bought last week, and are curious to hear more about people's thoughts on the Maintenance Plus offer. Our dealer is offering the 5 year, 75K, zero deductible plan for $595. I typically don't purchase these things, but I'm wondering if this makes sense, given that service is suggested every 6 months and I'll probably wind up having it serviced at the dealer anyway.

rich

I am also debating whether to buy or not. This thread has some good discussions around this

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4448&start=20

It was a simple decision for me. With three years of factory warranty coverage, eight years of factory battery coverage, and the simplicity of the Leaf itself (like most EVs), it was simply a bad deal and I declined. Add in the fact that there is VERY little maintenance required on the Leaf, unlike an ICE vehicle, and it is easy to take a pass on it!

akohekohe said:
I got a brochure when I took delivery of the Leaf that covered an extended warranty plan called Security+Plus and a pre-paid maintenance plan called Maintenance+Plus. After reading the brochure it seems we have until the first service interval (6 months or 7,500 miles) to decide whether or not we want the Maintenance+Plus and three years or 36,000 miles to decide on the Security+Plus plan. Since the Maintenance+Plus decision deadline is approaching I am wondering if anyone has made a decision on this and if so why or why not?

mogur said:
It was a simple decision for me. With three years of factory warranty coverage, eight years of factory battery coverage, and the simplicity of the Leaf itself (like most EVs), it was simply a bad deal and I declined. Add in the fact that there is VERY little maintenance required on the Leaf, unlike an ICE vehicle, and it is easy to take a pass on it!

akohekohe said:

+1----What Mogur said.

I declined the extended warranty, but did purchase the "Maintenance + Plus" package for $971.00. For the first 75,000 miles (or 5 years), it covers tire rotations, brake fluids, and "in-cabin microfilter" replacements. It also covers routine inspections on a number of systems, including the battery.

My rationale was that I would be getting the 6mo/7.5k mile services like clockwork from my Nissan dealer, regardless. Anyone who skips regular maintenance while the car is under warranty is running a risk. I haven't read the LEAF warranty, but most manufacturer ICE warranties can be cancelled if the owner can't prove that they've had recommended maintenance performed.

What I am not sure about is whether I got a very good deal. My sales rep told me that the first 75k of regular maintenance would normally cost "around $1,400". If that's true, then I got a good deal. However, I'm not convinced that they didn't just make the $1,400 figure up. I didn't get the impression that they really knew what these maintenance visits were going to cost.

Sorry, but on the Leaf that is pure fantasy, in my opinion... Look through the service manual and add up what the "service" on the Leaf would cost and I believe you'll see why. By the way, the annual battery inspection report will be at no cost to you so you can eliminate that as a cost...

TennLeafer said:
My sales rep told me that the first 75k of regular maintenance would normally cost "around $1,400". If that's true, then I got a good deal. However, I'm not convinced that they didn't just make the $1,400 figure up. I didn't get the impression that they really knew what these maintenance visits were going to cost.

mogur said:
Sorry, but on the Leaf that is pure fantasy, in my opinion... Look through the service manual and add up what the "service" on the Leaf would cost and I believe you'll see why. By the way, the annual battery inspection report will be at no cost to you so you can eliminate that as a cost...

I'm not so sure it is that bad of a deal; maybe a break-even. I have basically pre-paid 10 regular service visits at $97.00 each. I've never had a service visit for an ICE that cost less than $100, and usually they are more like $150.00. True there are less moving parts to inspect, and no fluids or belts, but you still have to have a technician spend an hour walking around your car and running tests, not to mention a full tire rotation.

Hasn't anyone on this forum had their first 7,500 mile inspection/maintenance/rotation? What did it cost?

I don't really need to pay a dealer just to rotate tires, frankly... And that is about all that is done at 7,500...

TennLeafer said:
Hasn't anyone on this forum had their first 7,500 mile inspection/maintenance/rotation? What did it cost?

mogur said:
I don't really need to pay a dealer just to rotate tires, frankly... And that is about all that is done at 7,500...
My local tire store is happy to rotate tires for free. They know if I come there for that, I'll be there for tires when the time comes.

mogur said:
By the way, the annual battery inspection report will be at no cost to you so you can eliminate that as a cost...

Only the first two years are free for the battery inspection report.

RasPdx said:
rich

IMO, save your money. Most experts say to pass on extended warranties by dealers or second parties.

Ok, it takes 10 minutes on the Consult III+... Figure 20 bucks if they even bother to charge you...

LEAFfan said:
mogur said:
By the way, the annual battery inspection report will be at no cost to you so you can eliminate that as a cost...

Only the first two years are free for the battery inspection report.

mogur said:
Ok, it takes 10 minutes on the Consult III+... Figure 20 bucks if they even bother to charge you...

I hope you are right. When I had my Civic GX (before I knew about Autozone's free scanning and the ScanGaugeII), a cng tech took one minute to diagnose a problem and he charged me over $100. I asked him, "Why so much...it only took you a minute to find the problem." He said it was because of the cost of the equipment to diagnose the problem (didn't buy it!). I was taken, plain and simple. He used some kind of scanner, similar to a ScanGauge. He actually lost money because I never returned for any more repairs.

Back