Dash DTC on wallbox charge (But charge OK)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seb83gtt

Hi,

I am from France and bought a 2014 used leaf one month ago.
This is a single charger version (3.3kW).
I have NO charging problem if I use the Nissan EVSE (10A), or any public EVSE ( than can provide up to 6kW).

I installed a 16A circontrol eHome EVSE (Spanish build) at home.
Each time I charge on that EVSE, the charge is OK up to 100%, but on the morning, when I unplug the car then power it on, I get a dash light + DTCs.
If I power OFF / ON, the dash light disappear, but DTC stays stored (Classical Charge codes) :
B29C1 2408
B29C1 9408
P3171 0008
P3170 0008
P316C 0008

I use scheduled charge, but this problem happens in both instant / scheduled charge.

If I clear the codes, I notice these DTCs are generated as soon as I plug the connector.
So I made many checks of the Connector and on the EVSE.
It seems to be a communication error between the EVSE and the EV, but once again, I have no problem charging the car. I just would light to understand and stop generating these dash lights / DTCs.

Checked the release switch of the plug looking at SAE J1772 schematics.
Measurements done between proximity control and ground : I am OK with 150 Ohms / 475 Omhs
Check continuity from the EVSE to the connector => OK.
Checked EVSE behaviour with scope regarding different states listed in the SAE J1772 wiki :
A : 12V continuous EV unplugged
B : When EV pluged in : 1kHz +9V 25% Duty cycle
If schedule charge is on, the leaf then go to state C (1kHz +6V 25% Duty cycle).

All sequencing seems to be OK, Duty cycle is OK, voltages are within SAE specification.

Did not find any post relating to this. Most of other topics are same DTCs + NOT charging (this is not my case).
Nissan checked for <= 2013 Charger firmware upgrade, my 2014 leaf is not concerned by this recall.

Please let me know you have similar issues and If you have some solutions.

Thanks, Sebastien

There is a service bulletin about this issue:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10054092-4269.pdf

So your evse unit is somehow not in compliance with the J1772 standard.

The B29C1 code seems to indicate some problem with the PWM signal (none, low, high, invalid, or unexpected).

The P codes 316C, 3170, 3171 are indications that the VCM received DTCs from the Power Delivery Module. Pretty nebulous description in FSM.

Thank you for this feedback.

I'm trying to get information from Circontrol that provide this eHome Wallbox.
Current firmware is 1.7 from 2015.

I checked other posts related to PEP EVSE problems.
As I also checked that PWM signal from EVSE seems to be conform to the standard with the scopemeter... It really seems to be a protocol issue (Maybe J1772 has some blurry definitions on some states transitions...).

I think leaf EV charger firmware has a timeout between state A to B as this is the only state change controlled by the EVSE itself by switching 12V CC to 1kHz PWM signal.
This timeout may not lock the charge process but generate DTCs.

All other state changes from B to C, C to B... are controlled by switching resistors on the EV charger side..

Sad there is no leaf EV charger OR EVSE firmware upgrade to solve this compatibility issue...

Back