Climate control timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukoner

Hi all,

I've got a question about the Climate Control Timer. I've got a 2015 Leaf, non-Nav equipped. It's wintertime now here, so I've set the climate control timer for 7:40am (I normally leave home around 8:00am). When I come outside to the car, I don't notice that the HVAC system is running. I do think it's "warm" in the car, but certainly not as warm as I'd expect it to be if I had remote started an ICE vehicle and let it run for the same amount of time. Looking in the Leaf's owners manual, it states:

Climate Ctrl. Timer

As the temperature is set to the factory default
setting, the user cannot adjust the temperature.

I presumed that the Climate Control Timer simply turned on my HVAC and let it run at the last setting from when the vehicle was last turned off (when I got home the evening before). Is that not the case ? The owners manual kind of sucks at explaining exactly how the system works, so I'm left confused as to what to expect.

I tried out the timer once on the 2016, but don't use it normally. It did seem to use the last setting of the climate control system, and some amber lights in the climate control area of the dash were illuminated, but the car remained off. The blower was slightly audible from outside the car.

I wonder if the system could have just timed out? Try checking on it 10 minutes after the set time.

PrairieLEAF said:
I tried out the timer once on the 2016, but don't use it normally. It did seem to use the last setting of the climate control system, and some amber lights in the climate control area of the dash were illuminated, but the car remained off. The blower was slightly audible from outside the car.

I wonder if the system could have just timed out? Try checking on it 10 minutes after the set time.
Hrmmmmmm, OK. I've thought about trying out different HVAC settings and seeing if anything makes any difference.

OK, so did some experiments. I have a video camera that looks at the front of the Leaf 24/7 when it's parked, and we just got some fresh snow. From the video camera footage, I can see that the Leaf starts HVAC / heating somewhere around 6:00am (snow starts melting on the windshield). I suspect that it turns OFF at 7:40am, not "on", which would explain why it's never running when I get to the vehicle in the morning. I think the "timer" in the Leaf's menu is actually a timer for when you plan to leave in the morning, not when you want the pre-heating to begin. This would essentially be the opposite from how a remote starter works in the traditional ICE vehicle.

Back