2019 Leaf SV Plus only gets 160 miles till gauge is at 0%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TronJockey

My new 2019 Leaf SV Plus will only go 150 miles before I get "Low Battery Warning" and it reaches 0% SOC after only 165 miles. This is driving under ideal conditions, non-stop, with tires at 39 psi, cruise set for 55mph, HVAC OFF, ambient of 80F, on essentially flat ground (the DelMarVa Peninsula is notoriously FLAT). After full charge the SOC reads 100% as expected and the GOM indicates 261 miles possible range. For the first 50% of SOC the car's capacity gauge operates relatively normal achieving anywhere from 1.9 to 2.6 miles per every 1% of SOC meter. After that point the rate of capacity loss accelerates down to 1.0 miles for every 1% SOC. Strangely Leaf Spy indicates that the battery still has nearly 24kWh of charge left even after the vehicles SOC gauge says 0% or less displaying just dashes (---). The car still drives well with no reduced power. I do get a "Low Battery" warning and a "Charge Now" warning but no turtle mode. So far I forced it to go beyond the 0% or "---" indication all the way to 175 miles but I'm worried about running out or damaging the battery. Leaf Spy still indicates 21.6kWh remain and 37% SOC. Somethings terribly wrong. Leaf Spy indicates my pack voltage is down to 347.3V with an average 3.618 cell voltage. Dealer ignores me and states he can find no issues. Can someone tell me what the pack voltage should be when down to 0% and what the individual cell voltages should be. I don't want to take them too low. The car was purchased as a left over 2019 just 4 months ago and has only 6000 miles on it.
"Big thanks for all the comments". I love these vehicles. This is my second Leaf. I just gave my 2015 SV to my daughter for her 16th Bday.

Reset your miles/kWh gauge before embarking. How many miles/kWh do you get?

Average cell voltage isn't that will cause shutdown... it's the lowest module/cell voltage. Is there a huge imbalance (in mV) at not very low state of charge % (say 30ish %)?

I don't care how many kWh Leaf Spy claims you have. How many gids remaining when "vehicles SOC gauge says 0% or less displaying just dashes (---)" happens?

Also, out of curiosity, how many gids on a full charge?

His dealer already blew him off and he said "The car was purchased as a left over 2019 just 4 months ago and has only 6000 miles on it."

I also would want to confirm it's a 62 kWh car and not 40 kWh. Does it say Plus on the car? The # of gids on a full charge informs us about the capacity, as well. And, I want to know how many gids when "empty".

From a wild guess, I suspect a bad cell causing big imbalance (e.g. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457964#p457964) or bad connection(s) inside the pack.

cwerdna said:
Reset your miles/kWh gauge before embarking. How many miles/kWh do you get?

Average cell voltage isn't that will cause shutdown... it's the lowest module/cell voltage. Is there a huge imbalance (in mV) at not very low state of charge % (say 30ish %)?

I don't care how many kWh Leaf Spy claims you have. How many gids remaining when "vehicles SOC gauge says 0% or less displaying just dashes (---)" happens?

Also, out of curiosity, how many gids on a full charge?

- Leaf Spy reports one severely weak cell (cell #40)

- Had about 250 GIDs and 22kWh remaining after hitting 0%SOC. Battery stack voltage was about 341V. Individual cells
averaged 3.61V (these values are close, I'm trying to remember what they were before I charged the car last night)

- Is nearly fully charged at the moment (95.3% SOC) and Leaf Spy is displaying 715 GIDs and 55.4 kWh

- After reaching 0% last night car was still running well, no limit mode even after "---". About 170 miles traveled. After charging overnight I attempted to drive the car but I immediately began getting warnings and the car was in "Turtle" mode. I thought Turtle mode would only occur when the battery was drained.

^^^
That's crazy! My 11 bar '13 Leaf doesn't even reach 250 gids on a 100% charge. It's about 230ish to 240ish gids on a full charge, at best.

As for severely weak cell 40, what was the imbalance in mV at the time? What was Leaf Spy's reported % SoC at that time?

Do a Google search for site:mynissanleaf.com cvli. Unfortunately, for Leaf Plus, the voltages that one should run CVLI test at would be different than gen 1 Leafs.

715 gids on a nearly full Plus sounds close to inline w/what I'd expect.

cwerdna said:
His dealer already blew him off and he said "The car was purchased as a left over 2019 just 4 months ago and has only 6000 miles on it."

I also would want to confirm it's a 62 kWh car and not 40 kWh. Does it say Plus on the car? The # of gids on a full charge informs us about the capacity, as well. And, I want to know how many gids when "empty".

From a wild guess, I suspect a bad cell causing big imbalance (e.g. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457964#p457964) or bad connection(s) inside the pack.

- the car is an SV-Plus. I plan to take it to an automobile scale at the local trucking company to have it weighed. I understand the Plus should be roughly 340 lbs heavier.

- Leaf Spy reports a severely weak cell #40.

cwerdna said:
^^^
That's crazy! My 11 bar '13 Leaf doesn't even reach 250 gids on a 100% charge. It's about 230ish to 240ish gids on a full charge, at best.

As for severely weak cell 40, what was the imbalance in mV at the time? What was Leaf Spy's reported % SoC at that time?

Do a Google search for site:mynissanleaf.com cvli. Unfortunately, for Leaf Plus, the voltages that one should run CVLI test at would be different than gen 1 Leafs.

- The car presently has a near full charge (95.3 SOC) and Leaf Spy is reporting min/avg/max = 3.321 / 3.618 / 3.628 (307 mv)
- When the car was at 0% SOC why was there still nearly 24kWh remaining?

TronJockey said:
- The car presently has a near full charge (95.3 SOC) and Leaf Spy is reporting min/avg/max = 3.321 / 3.618 / 3.628 (307 mv)
That is insane. When the car isn't very low on juice, when just in READY mode (green car w/arrows), at least on gen 1 Leafs, you shouldn't see any more than 20ish to 30ish mV imbalance.

Have a(nother?) dealer run the CVLI test.

Hopefully someone else w/a Leaf Plus can chime in on typical imbalance when above say 20% SoC...

Hate to make you shell out money, but maybe buy a 1 day subscription to https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptsubs.aspx to look at the 2019 Leaf service manual about what they expect for CVLI test on Plus? You should be able to simulate the equivalent via Leaf Spy. The values at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16070 are probably not correct for anything other than a 24 kWh pack.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457964#p457964 was an example of a bad module on a 24 kWh Leaf that BiggieJohn succeeded in getting his dealer to replace.

cwerdna said:
TronJockey said:
That is insane. When the car isn't very low on juice, when just in READY mode (green car w/arrows), at least on gen 1 Leafs, you shouldn't see any more than 20ish to 30ish mV imbalance.

Have a(nother?) dealer run the CVLI test.

Hopefully someone else w/a Leaf Plus can chime in on typical imbalance when above say 20% SoC...

Hate to make you shell out money, but maybe buy a 1 day subscription to https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptsubs.aspx to look at the 2019 Leaf service manual about what they expect for CVLI test on Plus? You should be able to simulate the equivalent via Leaf Spy.

Tell us the min/avg/max cell voltage reported by LeafSpy when the car says the range is zero.

Everything points to a bad cell in your pack but the above will be confirmation.
Oh, and find another mechanic. No Nissan mechanic will pay attention to LeafSpy results but it does not take a genius to hook up their OBD2 reader and see that 60 Ahr remain in the battery that the car is saying is out of range. That happens when a bad cell triggers a low voltage threshold..

Your idiot of a mechanic read cell voltages after charging up the battery.

SageBrush said:
Tell us the min/avg/max cell voltage reported by LeafSpy when the car says the range is zero.

Everything points to a bad cell in your pack but the above will be confirmation.
Oh, and find another mechanic. No Nissan mechanic will pay attention to LeafSpy results but it does not take a genius to hook up their OBD2 reader and see that 60 Ahr remain in the battery that the car is saying is out of range. That happens when a cell triggers a low voltage threshold..

I'll get these numbers to you early next week. The car is fully charged at the moment but strangely stuck in "Turtle" mode and will barely move. I'm having it towed to the dealer in Silver Spring on Saturday. They're 80 miles away so towing is the only option. I seem to remember Leaf Spy indicating a difference of 230mv when I checked it at 0% SOC.

I did mention to him that Leaf Spy indicated a bad cell #40. They had the car for over two weeks but said it was because their specialized Leaf mechanic only showed up on Mondays.

SageBrush said:
Not sure that's needed at this point given out the 307 mV imbalance when near full. That is WAY high and totally abnormal when nearly full. It shouldn't even get that large at 40% SoC.

SageBrush said:

Oh, and find another mechanic. No Nissan mechanic will pay attention to LeafSpy results but it does not take a genius to hook up their OBD2 reader and see that 60 Ahr remain in the battery that the car is saying is out of range. That happens when a bad cell triggers a low voltage threshold..

I want to get these numbers to you but still waiting to get the car back. This is the 2nd trip to the dealer It's now been for over 10 days. It was taken in this time due to being locked in Turtle Mode after a full charge.

Turtle mode happens when the lowest cell gets down to a threshold voltage so your weak cell caused Turtle even when near full charge. With Turtle mode active, there should be no argument from your dealer about there being a problem.

TronJockey said:
My new 2019 Leaf SV Plus will only go 150 miles before I get "Low Battery Warning" and it reaches 0% SOC after only 165 miles. This is driving under ideal conditions, non-stop, with tires at 39 psi, cruise set for 55mph, HVAC OFF, ambient of 80F, on essentially flat ground (the DelMarVa Peninsula is notoriously FLAT). After full charge the SOC reads 100% as expected and the GOM indicates 261 miles possible range. For the first 50% of SOC the car's capacity gauge operates relatively normal achieving anywhere from 1.9 to 2.6 miles per every 1% of SOC meter. After that point the rate of capacity loss accelerates down to 1.0 miles for every 1% SOC. Strangely Leaf Spy indicates that the battery still has nearly 24kWh of charge left even after the vehicles SOC gauge says 0% or less displaying just dashes (---). The car still drives well with no reduced power. I do get a "Low Battery" warning and a "Charge Now" warning but no turtle mode. So far I forced it to go beyond the 0% or "---" indication all the way to 175 miles but I'm worried about running out or damaging the battery. Leaf Spy still indicates 21.6kWh remain and 37% SOC. Somethings terribly wrong. Leaf Spy indicates my pack voltage is down to 347.3V with an average 3.618 cell voltage. Dealer ignores me and states he can find no issues. Can someone tell me what the pack voltage should be when down to 0% and what the individual cell voltages should be. I don't want to take them too low. The car was purchased as a left over 2019 just 4 months ago and has only 6000 miles on it.
"Big thanks for all the comments". I love these vehicles. This is my second Leaf. I just gave my 2015 SV to my daughter for her 16th Bday.

If you said your 2019 LEAF did this, I would think nothing of it because that is pretty much the range my 2018 "40" kwh LEAF got. Are you sure its a plus?

JK, 715 GIDs pretty much confirms it. You have a bad cell and it will only get weaker and fast so I would take it to a dealer. Doesn't have to be the one you got it from and get it fixed. You will want to take it in when the GOM is reading low.

How much is the delta of the pack (voltage high and low spread) at full charge (or near it) and how much is it at empty? Either way, the weak cell would be well away from the rest of the pack. It is defective.

After you get it fixed, I would suggest some surveys and ratings sites for the dealer that sold you the car.

:shock:
TronJockey said:
cwerdna said:
^^^

- When the car was at 0% SOC why was there still nearly 24kWh remaining?

:shock: That is nowhere near a full charge. Fully charged, your cells should be over 4 volts

I want to thank everyone that responded and provided info on this issue. I used your responses to put together a better defense for my complaint. It seems to have done the trick. I was just notified by the dealership that I will be getting a new battery.

Back