Remote heater/climate not starting, but battery update works

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafswede

This seems to be a new problem that I haven't heard of elsewhere, and Nissan Customer Care seemed stumped, too.

The heater / climate control works fine when you're controlling it manually from inside the car.

The app/Nissan YouPlus web site is able to update the current charge level, so communication between car and API works.

BUT - when sending a command to start climate control, it doesn't work. YouPlus just hangs and spins indefinitely. If I use the mobile app, it eventually (after maybe 15 minutes) comes back with an error, which translated from Swedish says "Remote climate control (error)".

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms, and if so, were you able to resolve it?

For those who've done any kind of programming using the Nissan API:

I've tried sending commands to the API myself, and I get this response from the NIssan API:
{"status":"-6004","ErrorCode":"-6004","ErrorMessage":"NoRecordInDatabase"}

I've also noticed, but I'm not sure if it's relevant to this, that "resultKey" in the response for ACRemoteResult.php, is just the string "noNMA". Usually, it's a much longer string of mixed uppercase/lowercase/digits.

Unfortunately, searching on these errors haven't given me anything useful.

What's the outside temperature there in your area?

If it's really cold then the battery heater is likely operating to keep the pack warm, and in that case the remote climate controls are affected.

Check your manual to see if this is found:
Climate control performance is reduced when using the Climate Ctrl. Timer or Remote Climate Control while the Li-ion battery heater operates.

That's an interesting suggestion, I hadn't heard of the battery heater affecting the climate control.

Currently, it's around zero to minus 10 Celcius, but the problem started already when it was above zero. From what I've read, the battery heater starts at -20, it's unlikely to be that.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Nissan's Connect EV servers in the USA have not been working correctly for a couple of weeks (some functions would work, others would not, and they were not consistent). All remote functions finally started to work correctly for my car last night. Therefore, I suggest you try using the Nissan Connect EV app or web site to try it now.

Still same thing here. From what I gather, the problems that I'm seeing aren't widely spread. I did ask in a Swedish Leaf ownsers group back in December, and no-one else was experiencing the same consitent failure in starting Climate.

I'm finding it odd that it seems to be such an uncommon problem, usually when something is wrong in an IT system, you'd expect to to affect a lot of people.

leafswede said:
Still same thing here. From what I gather, the problems that I'm seeing aren't widely spread. I did ask in a Swedish Leaf ownsers group back in December, and no-one else was experiencing the same consitent failure in starting Climate.

I'm finding it odd that it seems to be such an uncommon problem, usually when something is wrong in an IT system, you'd expect to to affect a lot of people.

I am experiencing the same problem. Sorta. I cannot start the climate control from my Nissan EV Connect app nor my My Leaf app. I cannot get a status from my Amazon Alexa Nissan EV Connect skill.

This is all true on the FIRST TRY! If I first go to my home screen on the app and check the battery status then start the climate, it works. Same for my Alexa. On the second request it will work. It is like the car needs to get a kick in the butt to wake it up.

I have only had this car for a little over three weeks. It worked fine initially. It seems the problem just started about 10 days ago.

Ok, I think I found the cure. At least for me. I went into the settings. Not the vehicle one. The radio, nav, connectivity one. Did a factory reset. It deleted everything. Radio settings, blue tooth, Wifi etc. I guess that is a full reset. Started from scratch and redid everything. Works perfectly every time now. I imagine there was a lot of cruft in there. Had 80 miles on it so it was driven by someone. Possibly a dealer trade. So that someone may have made some entries. Sat on the show floor all winter (thankfully). The 12V battery was deader than a doornail though the drive battery was still at 70%. A good level for Li-ion storage.

Back in business. Looking forward to many enjoyable miles.

Nissan deleted all records of my car from their systems, including my account, and re-added it. That made it work again. Interestingly, they never wanted to try a reset of the car itself.

Linus

leafswede said:
Nissan deleted all records of my car from their systems, including my account, and re-added it. That made it work again. Interestingly, they never wanted to try a reset of the car itself.

Linus
I spoke too soon. Back to not working. Worked for about a week when I left the dealership and now failed again after about a week.

Back