complimentary maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyguy

As I get closer to the 15,000 mark, I thought I read or heard that we got the first two maintenance visits for free. Now I can't find anything on that on the forum or Nissan website. Anyone have info on this?

hobbyguy said:
As I get closer to the 15,000 mark, I thought I read or heard that we got the first two maintenance visits for free. Now I can't find anything on that on the forum or Nissan website. Anyone have info on this?
It depends what you worked out with your dealer.

At 7,500 miles, my tire rotation will cost $15 at my dealer. At 12 months the battery inspection will be free at my dealer.

Any service bulletin work will be free (the dealer charges back Nissan) or recalls.

Perhaps you are thinking of this, from page 8 of the Warranty Information Booklet:
You are required to perform annual EV Battery Usage Report at intervals of 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months, 72 months, and 84 months. These EV Battery Usage Reports can be performed by a Nissan LEAF certified dealer or any qualified repair shop facility. The 12 and 24 month EV Battery Usage Report will be performed at no charge to the customer, provided the work is done at a Nissan LEAF certified dealer.

Ray

Has anyone been told by their dealer what the cost of the battery inspection will be after the 2nd year free?

I asked mine when I picked up my Leaf and they had no idea.

Volusiano said:
Has anyone been told by their dealer what the cost of the battery inspection will be after the 2nd year free?
I asked mine when I picked up my Leaf and they had no idea.

Since it doesn't have to be Nissan for the 3rd year, I'll probably take it to another qualified repair place...I'm sure it will be less expensive.

rawhog said:
Good luck with that. I can't see independent shops buying the Nissan proprietary software they would need to pull the info Nissan needs for the battery warranty.

Exactly. Anyone buying this (or really any) EV need to realize that they are pretty much limited to the dealer for repair and maintenance. That's why I'm contemplating an extended (Nissan) warranty; you have 3 years to make the decision, but I'm not sure if it covers things like "battery checks" anyway.

It has to be inexpensive if Nissan really wants to done or many might just blow it off...

Volusiano said:

planet4ever said:
Perhaps you are thinking of this, from page 8 of the Warranty Information Booklet:
You are required to perform annual EV Battery Usage Report at intervals of 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months, 72 months, and 84 months. These EV Battery Usage Reports can be performed by a Nissan LEAF certified dealer or any qualified repair shop facility. The 12 and 24 month EV Battery Usage Report will be performed at no charge to the customer, provided the work is done at a Nissan LEAF certified dealer.

Ray

Good reminder. Thanks Ray!

mogur said:
It has to be inexpensive if Nissan really wants to done or many might just blow it off...

Volusiano said:
I thought you can't blow it off because it's a requirement in order to keep the battery warranty intact.

The 12 month and 24 month was what I was looking for and could not find. Nissan wants me to bring the car in at 15,000 for a battery check, after reading the email closer, they mention this 15,000 mile check is complimentary:
Your Nissan LEAF™ 15,000-Mile Service Reminder

New Places to Charge up your Nissan Leaf
Dear Glen,

You've driven 14,201 miles in your Nissan LEAF since you took delivery. That's a lot of time exploring what life is like behind the wheel of a 100% electric vehicle. It's also time to head to your Nissan dealer for your 15,000-Mile service visit. While minimal maintenance is one of the best reasons for owning a Nissan LEAF, there are a few essential maintenance services that should be completed to make sure your vehicle offers optimal performance, safety and reliability.

In addition to a complete inspection, NISSAN OF VALENCIA will run a diagnostic check on your EV battery and provide you with an EV Battery Usage Report. This is an essential warranty requirement for your EV battery. It's the single most important maintenance service on your Nissan LEAF and is provided to you at no charge.

Since Nissan has never stated what the battery warranty actually covers (certainly not capacity), I'm not sure exactly what you would be keeping intact... :lol:

Volusiano said:
I thought you can't blow it off because it's a requirement in order to keep the battery warranty intact.

The battery check is an annual (12 month) requirement, not a mileage driven one... It's in the manual.

hobbyguy said:
The 12 month and 24 month was what I was looking for and could not find. Nissan wants me to bring the car in at 15,000 for a battery check, after reading the email closer, they mention this 15,000 mile check is complimentary

I thought it was annual as well, this email tends to tell me otherwise, especially the part about " This is an essential warranty requirement for your EV battery. It's the single most important maintenance service on your Nissan LEAF and is provided to you at no charge"
I will make an appointment to take it in soon, as I get closer to 15,000 and will report back. Maybe Nissan wants to see how the early buyers batteries are holding up, we'll see!

Can you say "form letter" with no actual basis in reality?

hobbyguy said:
I thought it was annual as well, this email tends to tell me otherwise, especially the part about " This is an essential warranty requirement for your EV battery. It's the single most important maintenance service on your Nissan LEAF and is provided to you at no charge"

Regardless of whether Nissan is specific enough or not about what the battery warranty actually covers, there still is a warranty on the battery for 8 years/100K miles, and the warranty booklet says that you are REQUIRED to do the annual battery check. So blowing off the annual checks will invalidate the warranty.

Does anyone really want to risk not having any kind of warranty on the battery, the most important component in an EV? OK, so maybe it doesn't cover gradual capacity loss. But for sure it covers battery failure to operate.

mogur said:
Since Nissan has never stated what the battery warranty actually covers (certainly not capacity), I'm not sure exactly what you would be keeping intact...

Volusiano said:

The Battery Warranty is quite valuable and worth keeping in force. It covers dead cells and complete failure. They wont do anything if your capacity drops but everything is working fine but there are many things that could go wrong that will be covered.

Clearly no one saw the LOL at the end... Of course the battery warranty is still worth preserving but, nonetheless, it is an annual event, not a mileage driven one...

SteveInSeattle said:
The Battery Warranty is quite valuable and worth keeping in force. It covers dead cells and complete failure. They wont do anything if your capacity drops but everything is working fine but there are many things that could go wrong that will be covered.

rawhog said:
Good luck with that. I can't see independent shops buying the Nissan proprietary software they would need to pull the info Nissan needs for the battery warranty.

Here's what's in the manual: (I added the red.)
Quote:

Who knows how many other EV repair places there will be in 3 years. It's a nice option, but it will depend on Nissan's charge (pardon the pun).

hobbyguy said:
You've driven 14,201 miles in your Nissan LEAF since you took delivery.

well this implies that someone is keeping tabs on you. surprised you have that many miles so far. wondering who has the most? or should i keep that to myself? causes to many segways every time i wonder.

Back