Painting and Heat after a crash

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

My Leaf was rear-ended.
I asked the Nissan Repair shop if the batteries had to be removed.
He said with hybrids and EVs, just disconnected as there are issues with welding and heat.

I asked about heat in the painting process, and he said:
Heat will only be 120 F, so not a problem for the battery.
He also said that the highest heat would be from any welding, if that is necessary near the battery.

Is this accurate?
Should I insist on battery removal during the process.
We are prolly going to replace the back hatch and bumper, and have to paint the two rear quarter panels.
I guess I dont see why that cant be done OFF the car?

estimate came in today at about $8500.
so far, the insurance company has approved 75% of that pending, tear down and viewing the internals.

no word on whether the other side, who rear-ended me, will rent me a car or pay for the gas I now have to buy.

My car was rear-ended and the paint oven was set at 40ºC (I checked). The downside of a lower cure temp is the car had to spend more time in oven.

right now, they are talking about taking out the battery to avoid heat from painting and welding.

I wonder if folks think that is a workable solution; albeit, how would I even know unless I checked as diligently as you did.

thankyouOB said:
I asked about heat in the painting process, and he said:
Heat will only be 120 F, so not a problem for the battery.
He also said that the highest heat would be from any welding, if that is necessary near the battery.

Is this accurate?
According to page BRM-8 of the service manual, it is accurate. They specify that the lower sill must be below 60C (140F) in the paint booth or the battery must be removed.

Thank you, sir.
It is good to know that my body shop knows what it is talking about.

lower sill? means what.

right now, they are offering to take battery out.
I am now wondering if there is any downside to that.

thankyouOB said:
lower sill? means what.
They have a picture which points to the metal frame below the door openings. Perhaps it is the creased portion of the unibody where you jack from. I can post the picture if you like, but I'm not at a computer where I can do it easily right now.
thankyouOB said:
right now, they are offering to take battery out.
I'm generally hesitant to have mechanics touch anything that is still in factory original condition. But that's just me...

thankyouOB said:
... right now, they are offering to take battery out.
I'd be reluctant to allow anyone but the dealer remove the battery. No one has any experience at it, and it's a heavy awkward item, plus the fun of high voltages to consider.

yes, the shop is part of the autonation chain and they are sending the car to the dealership to remove and then replace the battery.

thanks for weighing in, dave.

so the other side accepted liability and to simplify the issue and because the body shop wants to work with AAA, I am working directly with them; the other guy's insurer.
apparently, some insurance companies are easier to deal with for established shops. mine is part of autonation, a very large corporate entity with dozens of dealerships, and the shop is first-class and repairs high-end vehicles.

the AAA agreed to rent me a car, but I will instead take a daily stipend and use my former commuter car.
I dont see the need to rent, unless I can get a Leaf.

I like the fact that the collision shop will have the dealership do the battery removal and reinstall.

the biggest hanging issue, is how to handle the stickers.
we are going with removing and reinstalling them.

fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Back