bad connection?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilliams

Three times is not a charm when it comes to no charge. We've now experienced 3 different occasions when our leaf has been plugged in and the next morning it has not charged. All other things are the same - same timer schedule (we charge all hours except 12pm - 6pm). Is a bad connection being reported?

You don't give people much to go on. You should tell us what kind of EVSE, when it was plugged in, etc...

I do know that it is possible to pull on the J1772 plug so that it is still latched, but the car doesn't think it's plugged in. Do you check to make sure the car is charging, or is blinking to indicate that it is waiting on a timer each time you plug it in?

When you plug in at 7p does it charge immediately?
When you plug in a 5p do the three dash lights blink in sequence indicating ready to charge waiting for the timer?

quite honestly I don't think we should have to hang around to see if the car has started charging - though now I know we apparently do have to. this is intermittent - this is the third time in the last 30+ days. It's gonna be a drag to plug our car in, wait to see what lights are flashing, and record it to troubleshoot something we shouldn't have to troubleshoot. not that it should matter but we are using the charging connector/unit that came with the car (120V). That's worked great for us since we bought last October. (we love this car, btw, and it kills me to have to use our ice - even if it is a prius)

Mostly I was hoping to find out if others are having a similar issue with the connection.

bwilliams said:
quite honestly I don't think we should have to hang around to see if the car has started charging
As soon as the connector is plugged in, you should hear the unmistakable "click" from the EVSE and the blue charging lights in the Leaf go on, and in the case of the Nissan 120V EVSE, its charging light should be on, too. It should be within a second or two at the most so I don't know what the big deal is with "hanging around".

Maybe the connector wasn't pushed in all the way and didn't "click" and make the connection although you thought you had it plugged in all the way?

If you use the Nissan 120V EVSE, do you leave it plugged into the outlet all the times, or do you unplug/replug each time? If the later, maybe the unplug/replug is starting to wear out the 120V outlet on the wall and causing connection issues there.

bwilliams said:
quite honestly I don't think we should have to hang around to see if the car has started charging - though now I know we apparently do have to. ...
Hanging around for 10 seconds to make sure the connection is good is an imposition? I guess we all have our crosses to bear. I'm just glad I don't have to monitor the whole fueling process like I do with a gasoline car.

Volusiano said:
If you use the Nissan 120V EVSE, do you leave it plugged into the outlet all the times, or do you unplug/replug each time? If the later, maybe the unplug/replug is starting to wear out the 120V outlet on the wall and causing connection issues there.
That would be the first thing I would check. The LEAF is a bigger load on a 120V outlet than they typically see in their lives.

bwilliams said:
not that it should matter but we are using the charging connector/unit that came with the car (120V).
Yes, that matters big time. If you are using that you should never, ever, leave the car until you see one or more of the three blue lights light up on the dash. But, as others have said, that should only take a few seconds. Volusiano has the most likely explanation. The outlet that you are plugging into is probably wearing out. If so, then, yes, it's a bad connection, just not where you may have been expecting it to be.

Ray

we never unplug the unit from the wall outlet. i will do my best to retrain myself and my husband to wait (yes, waiting even a few seconds is annoying when you have dogs barking, phones ringing along with any number of other distractions when arriving home). btw, a positive connection has been made each time. i tried to blame my husband for this charge issue (trying to blame the user for not connecting it fully) until it happened to me. oops.

my goal here was to get a feel for whether this has been reported by others. i didn't find it in my very brief search of mnl. i have no doubt that most individual users have not experienced this.

There are some similar cases, but almost all intermittent problems end up being not getting the J1772 plug (nozzle) sufficiently seated in the LEAF's socket. So, you are not alone.

If you do not have the 3 extra seconds it takes to check the blue lights, one wonders how you have time to exit the car.

If the problem occurs when plugging in both before and after 6 PM, it is even more likely a plug/socket problem.

If it only occurs when plugging in before 6 PM, then the timer MIGHT be involved, but still, the plug-to-socket connection is the most likely suspect.

Cheers, Gary

Back