bowthom
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 307
Location: Portland Oregon

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14 am

Evnow,
Do you check the "per trip" efficiencies in the carwings electrical simulation page? I find it very enlightening.

This last week I've been commuting without having the heat on (temps in the high 40's ~ low 50's). What a difference in my efficiency rating and range. STD commute is up to 6.5 m/kWh ;)
Reserv Apr 20 - Ord Aug 31
Red - ETEC trim
BLINK inst 3/14/11 (rev 2.1.2B)
P1213 4/29/11 - Charger repl 6/8/11
P1273 2/15/12 - P32270 10/2/13
TCU upgrd 2/15/17
-1bar 11/14 -2bars 6/16 -3bars 7/18 -4bars 9/19

Deliver 2/23/11 - 75k+ mi

BnBinSD
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:08 am
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2255
Location: Alpine, CA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I just happened to visit kolmstead's blog page where he had posted pictures of the underbody of the Leaf, and was surprised to see that instead of a completely smooth and aerodynamic belly, only the front of the Leaf has cladding.

Anyone have any ideas what the impact of that uncladded area would have on range?

Might covering that area be something worth considering that would provide a real-world, noticeable increase in range?
Driving my Glacier Pearl SL ETEC is a joy, like a magic carpet!
7.5 kW PV in Alpine, CA
Thank-you Nissan, for your bravery, conviction and willingness to actually manufacture the Leaf!

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11477
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:05 pm

BnBinSD wrote:Might covering that area be something worth considering that would provide a real-world, noticeable increase in range?
You have to balance aero with weight ... so it may or may not.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11477
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:09 pm

bowthom wrote:Evnow,
Do you check the "per trip" efficiencies in the carwings electrical simulation page? I find it very enlightening.
Cool - I'd never checked this - what a bad place to put the per trip stats.

Once they get this all corrected and present real numbers, it would be a really good resource.

Here is my best :lol: :lol: :lol:

Code: Select all

Net consumption   0.2kWh 
Consumption       0.9kWh 
Regeneration      0.7kWh 
Miles             5.4miles 
Energy Economy   22.3miles/kWh 
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

sproqitman
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0196
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm

evnow wrote:Cool - I'd never checked this - what a bad place to put the per trip stats.
Once they get this all corrected and present real numbers, it would be a really good resource.

Here is my best :lol: :lol: :lol:

Code: Select all

Net consumption   0.2kWh 
Consumption       0.9kWh 
Regeneration      0.7kWh 
Miles             5.4miles 
Energy Economy   22.3miles/kWh 
I can beat that:

Code: Select all

Net consumption  -0.1 kWh 
Consumption       0.6 kWh 
Regeneration      0.7 kWh 
Miles             3.5 miles 
Energy Economy   62.0 miles/kWh 
(This trip is almost all downhill). I have several instances of this trip with either 0 or negative net consumption and yet the energy economy is always reported as 62.

User avatar
DaveEV
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6237
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:47 pm

BnBinSD wrote:I just happened to visit kolmstead's blog page where he had posted pictures of the underbody of the Leaf, and was surprised to see that instead of a completely smooth and aerodynamic belly, only the front of the Leaf has cladding.
You're mistaken - the entire Leaf underbody has plastic cladding. Except for high end sports cars - the Leaf has the "cleanest" underbody I've ever seen.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11477
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 am

sproqitman wrote:I can beat that:

Code: Select all

Net consumption  -0.1 kWh 
Consumption       0.6 kWh 
Regeneration      0.7 kWh 
Miles             3.5 miles 
Energy Economy   62.0 miles/kWh 
(This trip is almost all downhill). I have several instances of this trip with either 0 or negative net consumption and yet the energy economy is always reported as 62.
That m/kwh doesn't look right - should be -35 ;)
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5079
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 am

evnow wrote:
sproqitman wrote:I can beat that:

Code: Select all

Net consumption  -0.1 kWh 
Consumption       0.6 kWh 
Regeneration      0.7 kWh 
Miles             3.5 miles 
Energy Economy   62.0 miles/kWh 
(This trip is almost all downhill). I have several instances of this trip with either 0 or negative net consumption and yet the energy economy is always reported as 62.
That m/kwh doesn't look right - should be -35 ;)
I thought it only read negative if you drive home in reverse. :mrgreen:
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

sproqitman
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0196
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Okay, so now I have three weeks of data:

Code: Select all

Odometer mileage               650.0
KWh reported by Blink          208.0
Miles/KWh                        3.1
Driving is half freeway/half surface streets, typically with lights, wipers, and heater on, plus a lot of up and down. So I'm satisfied with the miles/KWh. On a related note, has anyone calibrated what the Blink reports? I'm assuming it's reporting what it's pulling from the electrical panel, but I don't have a separate meter so I can't verify.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14149
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 am

sproqitman wrote:Okay, so now I have three weeks of data:

Code: Select all

Odometer mileage               650.0
KWh reported by Blink          208.0
Miles/KWh                        3.1
Driving is half freeway/half surface streets, typically with lights, wipers, and heater on, plus a lot of up and down. So I'm satisfied with the miles/KWh. On a related note, has anyone calibrated what the Blink reports? I'm assuming it's reporting what it's pulling from the electrical panel, but I don't have a separate meter so I can't verify.

ok what is the car reporting on the energy screen for same time period?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”