LEAF maximum range challenge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

The longest drive I've seen reported by a LEAF on a single charge is 116 miles, far less than the maximum possible.

I formally challenge those lucky enough to have LEAF's in their possession to the contest.

Are you not adventurous?

Are you not men?

Or are you reduced, by the dreaded "Range Anxiety," to a snivelling gelatinous mass whenever you get down to the last two bars?

Don't you have a Sunday drive, relatively flat and with few stops, that can be safely done, at 35-45 MPH, that you've been wondering about-can it be done?

Next time you drive to grandma's house, use a light foot, and take the scenic route.

Arrange a location in advance, some miles before your destination, for a L1 recharge, should the turtle arrive prematurely, in order to avoid the possibility of riding on the "flatbed of shame".

120 miles should be easy!

I was shocked by evnow's attack on granmas everywhere, in the previous thread. Granny is a hypermiler green ecochick.

Driving home at 60-65 when traffic is flying Past really blew.
No way I would want to try it a slower rate.
I will let others take this challenge.

I am happy with my 25 mile daily commute so I can drive at whatever speed I want.

in reality;

1) a trip as you suggest would be highly unlikely to be planned.

2) such trip would need to be "manufactured". this is a bit counterintuitive to why many of us got the Leaf to begin with, so...

I'M IN!!

will have to set it up for a Saturday, will create the lame excuse of "garage saling" or house hunting. it will be a lame excuse but plausible

DaveinOlyWA said:
in reality;

1) a trip as you suggest would be highly unlikely to be planned.

2) such trip would need to be "manufactured". this is a bit counterintuitive to why many of us got the Leaf to begin with, so...

I'M IN!!

will have to set it up for a Saturday, will create the lame excuse of "garage saling" or house hunting. it will be a lame excuse but plausible

Good luck, and may the road-rage of tail-gating SUV drivers be absent from your drive. Keep an eye on the mirror, and pull out if necessary.

I'm just suggesting you alter a planned trip close to the maximum range limit, (where you would otherwise take an ICEV) slightly, perhaps by taking a lower speed or flatter route.

I'm not suggesting heading to the salt flats for a 15 mph 10+ (?) hour drive, though, I'd be curious what that would show, also.

The idea, IMO, is to illustrate how much energy you can save with your LEAF, not to expend more.

Herm said:
I was shocked by evnow's attack on granmas everywhere, in the previous thread. Granny is a hypermiler green ecochick.

Re "driving like a grandma".

My grandma was no hyper-miler.

I have distinct memories of being a passenger in her (last) car, a '66 Olds 98.

She always seemed to like to "drive her age", which became increasingly terrifying as she reached her late eighties...

"Along with the transmission and bodyshell, the engine was also new for 1965. It was a 425 cubic-inch Super Rocket V8 that was more powerful and of a more efficient design than the older 394 cubic-inch V8 previously used, yet it was much lighter in weight. The Ninety-Eight's standard and only engine offering for 1965 was the four-barrel "Ultra High Compression" version of the 425 Super Rocket rated at 360 horsepower (270 kW)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_98

This sounds like a great rally challenge. Need a spot with a dozen EVSEs to have everyone ready. Then a 110 mile destination with an end loop to circle and not be too far when turtle mode hits. A support team with a generator and/or tow truck. Then we just need a pool of money ($35 ea?) and winner buys lunch or dinner at the destination. Destination would need charging also.

What exactly are the rules of the challenge? Is flat terrain a requirement? Are there any minimum and maximum speeds allowed? ;)

smkettner said:
This sounds like a great rally challenge. Need a spot with a dozen EVSEs to have everyone ready. Then a 110 mile destination with an end loop to circle and not be too far when turtle mode hits. A support team with a generator and/or tow truck. Then we just need a pool of money ($35 ea?) and winner buys lunch or dinner at the destination. Destination would need charging also.

no problemo!! Lacey Alternative Fuel Fair and Electric Car Rally includes 109 mile Hypermile Challenge.

http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/living-in-lacey/the-community/arts-and-events/lacey_alternative_energy_fair

smkettner said:

You could drive around in circles around a large parking lot for a few hours.

GeekEV said:
What exactly are the rules of the challenge? Is flat terrain a requirement? Are there any minimum and maximum speeds allowed? ;)
Seriously, we should set a driving time limit (4 hours?) and insist that the destination be at least as high in elevation as the start.

davewill said:
GeekEV said:
Seriously, we should set a driving time limit (4 hours?) and insist that the destination be at least as high in elevation as the start.

You need rules????

There goes the "Whitney portal to Death Valley" strategy.

But I agree, no net altitude loss.

And if other exceptional efforts are employed, such as harnessing a tailwind with auxiliary sails, or having passenger(s) get out and jog (or push) on the uphills, then hop in for regeneration ballast on downgrades, etc., be honorable and report these actions.

As I have already said, I doubt any one is really so covetous of the range title to try for it at 15 mph on a dry lake bed...

How about it has to be a round trip. That would cancel any altitude change.

Its funny, i was just thinking of having a contest for the worst range. Hill climb in freezing conditions? Full loaded car at the track in the summer? 15 miles? Less?

I know its counterintuitive but it would really show a worst case scenario. I thjnk this would be a nice bit of info to have if the forum were to create it's own Range Guide spreadsheet.

Randy3 said:
I'd like to take my LEAF out to The Loneliest Road in America -- Nevada's Highway 50. We used to drive it in the 1960's often. Now, it's rarely used but a beautiful road.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2033/

I drive it just about every day (just not that part of it).

Was in Fallon a few weeks ago - on the way I drove right past the Bunny Ranch Business Park. Does that make it a not-so-lonely road, or an even lonelier road?

It would be tough to get a tow most places beyond Fallon, let alone a charge.

A Leaf Rally does sound like a lot of fun, make the loop 73 miles and see who gets there the quickest.. and seal the charge port at the start of the race. A co-driver should be mandatory for safety.. with several check-in points to control the routes. All you need is two cars and "Its a Race!"

Who is going to set up the first one?.. you will famous forevermore.

Back