My Range Experiences so far...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csriram45

I got my Red Leaf on April 20th and so far the car has been great. On first day I drove about 50 miles driving back from dealership and giving rides to family and friends. I can back home with about 35 - 40 miles on the DB estimate

Day 1: 100% charge, Blink Unit showing 12.x KwH used.

DB showed range to be about 111 miles on ECO Mode
I was late to start and had to go to a meeting so most of my driving ended up being at 70 - 75 miles/hr. I could see my estimate going down very fast and I reached work 26 miles from Milpitas to Pleasanton through Sunol grade with my DB showing 49 miles range. It was not something I was happy to see but I realized that at 75 I did not help the cause. Of course this was the first long drive of the car as well.
On my way back in the evening I drove more conservatively so I can get an idea on how it is different. I drove between 55 - 65 mostly at 58 - 60 (its hard to maintain speed in eco mode). I reached home with 29 miles showing on my DB. Actual Odometer was at 102 so total distance was 52 miles. I had another friend who has ordered a Leaf and so wanted a ride. Drove around local streets and finally parked the car with DB showing 19 miles.

Day 2: 100% charge, Blink Unit showing Total 30.50 Kwh Used, so 18.xx for full charge
DB Showed a range of 117 on ECO Mode.

Today I drove more conservatively trying to ride between 55 - 65 and mostly at 58 - 60 miles/hr. I did realize that at 60 most of other drivers are not too happy about it even though you are in the right most lane. I reached work (26 miles) with my DB reading 69 miles remaining. So I had an extra 20 mile range for slower speed which was amazing. Funny think was it took me only 8 more minutes than usual that I drive at 70 - 75 miles an hour.
Went out with colleague for lunch etc. In the evening drove back around same speed and reached with DB reading 30 miles. miles.

Day 3: Charged only to 80%. DB showing 93 miles on ECO, Blink Unit shows 40.xx kwH used so about 10.xx kWh for 80% charge.

I was out of town for the weekend and so today was going to be the Day 3 of Leaf driving and I was planning to go to work but due to an emergency home repair worked from home. In the evening drove for some errand and now have DB showing 64 miles.

I have not decided to charge today or top of the battery back to 80%. I wonder if its a wise move or not. At 64 miles on DB I know I should be able to make the 52 mile round trip as long as I drive conservatively. It will be interesting to try it out and see how much I can push the car and see at what point the alert or warning shows up. I still feel that I should be able to manage without even reaching the warning stage. I believe regen should work more as well.

Will know more tomorrow so will update this thread. :)

Even above 80% SOC, you should be able to get full regen. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely want to charge to 80% before making that drive.

abasile said:
Even above 80% SOC, you should be able to get full regen. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely want to charge to 80% before making that drive.

I remember reading some thread that the regen value is different depending on the SOC meter so at lower SOC meter the regen seems to pack more energy.

you really think I should top it to 80% again?? hmmm..

Update: After deliberating for a while I decided to top off to 80% again. I figured since this would be my first day driving to work in 80% and my drive has quiet some up and down I should play it safe. I will have a better idea on my SOC as well as DB range estimate tomorrow only charging to 80% so that I can estimate it better for future and experiment more.

csriram45 said:
abasile said:

I remember reading some thread that the regen value is different depending on the SOC meter so at lower SOC meter the regen seems to pack more energy.

you really think I should top it to 80% again?? hmmm..

Update: After deliberating I decided to top off to 80% again. I figured since this would be my first day driving to work in 80% and my drive has quiet some up and down I should play it safe. I will have a better idea on my SOC as well as DB range estimate tomorrow only charging to 80% so that I can estimate it better for future and experiment more.
You can check if you have full regen by watching the display -- if you have an entire set of double-circles to the left of the zero-point, you will have full regen.

When I charge to 80%, I will get full regen after driving for half to one mile or so.

I made it home on 80% charge with 14 miles left on the DB. I was left with the last bar on SOC although the second last just went off in the last quarter or so mile.

Entire trip I saw regen but I am confused when people say full regen. The gap between inner and outer circle (concentric) is very less so when you guys say "full regen" do u mean that the entire concentric circle till the outer layer is filled? I have seen the regen move al the way till all the circle to the left are lit but the circle itself has only the inside filled. There is gap in the concentric circles and those are not filled.

Thx

What you call "gap" is not important; it will never be "filled". What's more important is whether a single circle or a double (concentric) circle exists at each of the available positions. A single circle means that that level of regen is NOT possible; if a double circle is shown, then that level of regen IS possible. The LEAF's charging system monitor (BMS - Battery Management System) decides whether the level is available or not depending on the state of the battery (which would be re-charged/regen'ed at that level). Both temperature and SOC (state-of-charge) affect this "decision". As the state of the battery allows, more double circles are "unveiled" for use. Once you reach a particular level or regen, then the inner circle gets filled ("lights up").

"Full regen" means all the circles to the left of center are double circles and are filled ("lit up"). Getting all of them to light up depends on grade and just the right amount of brake pedal activation (none of which may be needed on a very steep downgrade).

( Hope that explanation makes sense :) )

LEAFer said:
What you call "gap" is not important; it will never be "filled". What's more important is whether a single circle or a double (concentric) circle exists at each of the available positions. A single circle means that that level of regen is NOT possible; if a double circle is shown, then that level of regen IS possible. The LEAF's charging system monitor (BMS - Battery Management System) decides whether the level is available or not depending on the state of the battery (which would be re-charged/regen'ed at that level). Both temperature and SOC (state-of-charge) affect this "decision". As the state of the battery allows, more double circles are "unveiled" for use. Once you reach a particular level or regen, then the inner circle gets filled ("lights up").

"Full regen" means all the circles to the left of center are double circles and are filled ("lit up"). Getting all of them to light up depends on grade and just the right amount of brake pedal activation (none of which may be needed on a very steep downgrade).

( Hope that explanation makes sense :) )

hmmm I am still not clear. I do see all the circles light up on a downgrade at times or when I brake at times but I am not sure if its the max regen. I will probably have to take a picture at times.

Also my battery temp always shows to be 4 or 5 bars (cant remember) I assume that is normal?

Day 4: 80% charge. DB Shows 93 on ECO. Blink shows 59.50. So it took about 15Kwh to go to 80%.

I reached work with 49 miles left on DB. I find it strange that range drops so much on my way up but then on the way back I make it with 15 miles left yesterday. I will check again today to confirm. Also the first SOC bar goes away in 1.5 - 2 miles. I drive at about 55 - 65 trying to keep at 58 - 60.

BTW, are the ECO trees supposed to stay on the odometer display. When I turn off the car, the eco tree meter starts from zero again and the full eco tree and the partial eco tree I had accumulated goes away. With 100 mile range before recharge is it even possible to accumulate more than say 2 eco trees? I remember reading the owners manual and it showed 4 or 5 eco trees :)

csriram45 said:
hmmm I am still not clear. I do see all the circles light up on a downgrade at times or when I brake at times but I am not sure if its the max regen. I will probably have to take a picture at times.

Also my battery temp always shows to be 4 or 5 bars (cant remember) I assume that is normal?
Yes, that should be "full regen".
Yes, on the temp display. Until summer. when it might rise a little at a time ... or a lot if (when finally) the car can use DC QuickCharge.

csriram45 said:
BTW, are the ECO trees supposed to stay on the odometer display. When I turn off the car, the eco tree meter starts from zero again and the full eco tree and the partial eco tree I had accumulated goes away. With 100 mile range before recharge is it even possible to accumulate more than say 2 eco trees? I remember reading the owners manual and it showed 4 or 5 eco trees :)
Yes, the "trees" are calculated on a per-trip basis, so they'll start from zero when you turn the car on. At the end of the day, CARWINGS will add up all the trees and display them on your CARWINGS page.

Day 5: 80% charge. DB Shows 95 on ECO. Blink shows 73.19.

Yesterday I reached home with 19 miles left showing on DB. Today I reached work with 54 estimated on my DB. This is better than yesterday where it showed 49. Will update when I reach home today to know what is left on DB.

csriram45 said:
Day 5: 80% charge. DB Shows 95 on ECO. Blink shows 73.19.

Yesterday I reached home with 19 miles left showing on DB. Today I reached work with 54 estimated on my DB. This is better than yesterday where it showed 49. Will update when I reach home today to know what is left on DB.
Instead of just range left, start tracking by the miles/kwh. That gives a much better idea of the trip since the range left apparently uses only the last few miles of driving.

Day 6: 100% Charge. DB Showed 116 on ECO. Blink showed 80.59

Yesterday reached home with 19 miles left on DB. Today being friday decided to charge to 100% so I can drive out in the evening as well. Reached work with 66 left on DB. Drove a bit faster than previous days. I also noticed today what everyone was talking about 2 circles for regen. I guess it was not obvious with 80% charge but with 100% for the first few miles there was only one circle on regen side and as I drove more, the 2 circles started to show up. Now everything makes sense. Also I noticed my first SOC bar went out after 4.5 miles and second at 10.2. The third went out a bit quicker but then I was also on a uphill. I reached work 25 miles with 5 bars used.

I will start tracking based on actual miles from today.

csriram45 said:
I I drove between 55 - 65 mostly at 58 - 60 (its hard to maintain speed in eco mode).

Doesn't the car have cruise control? How hard is it to maintain speed with cruise control?

scharlj said:
csriram45 said:
I I drove between 55 - 65 mostly at 58 - 60 (its hard to maintain speed in eco mode).

Doesn't the car have cruise control? How hard is it to maintain speed with cruise control?

For some reason have not tried using cruise control. Never been a big fan of cruise control...

csriram45 said:
scharlj said:
csriram45 said:

For some reason have not tried using cruise control. Never been a big fan of cruise control...

Cruise is a waste on an EV with this range unless you live in Iowa and drive endlessly. Cruise wastes energy as it over compensates for inclines of any kind, it is more efficient to drive without it.

EVDRIVER said:
Cruise is a waste on an EV with this range unless you live in Iowa and drive endlessly. Cruise wastes energy as it over compensates for inclines of any kind, it is more efficient to drive without it.

I thought the same and that is why rarely use it. My biggest problem maintaining constant speed is on the eco mode on constant incline and decline. Since the response isn't that quick in eco the speed varies. Having a digital odometer does not help either as even a 1 or 2 miles/hr change is noticeable :)

EVDRIVER said:
Cruise wastes energy as it over compensates for inclines of any kind, it is more efficient to drive without it.
Is there some kind of scientific data on this or just your own opinion? The reason I asked is I've been using CC on going up the hill and if done right it works much better then trying to maintain speed/power with your foot.

In a sense, it depends on whether or not I insist on keeping my speed constant. When I really want that, then the cruise control is the way to go. If I'm willing to go up hills slower, and gradually speed up on flat stretches, then I turn it off and use my foot.

The point of cruise control on the Leaf is not for endless hwy cruising across Kansas, but to help you maintain a steady 55mph on the hwy without speeding up unconsciously.. true, usually cruise controls are not too efficient on hilly ground but I bet it beats driving 55-65 and drifting all the time.

I broke my speeding habit by installing a stronger throttle spring on a 79 Chevette, afterwards thank god for cruise control and 55mph

Back