How to calculate: X amt of charging time to go Y # of miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memills

Say that my charge is running low, and I have 25 miles more to go.

So I stop in at the friendly Nissan dealer that is along the way, and
I plug in to their 220v charger.

On average, about how long would I have to wait there while charging to make
sure I get that needed extra 25 miles? I know it varies, but in general.
Is there a general rule of thumb formula for this?

Thanks!

240 volt (not 220V), but worth asking the dealership to make sure their install is NOT 208V (could happen from commercial installs).

12 miles per hour of charging at 240V in round numbers. This 12mphc is just as much an estimate as is the estimated range on the dashboard, and naturally assumes a conservative driving style.

Thought of another way: 3.3kW charging (DC into the battery; pulls more from the wall or charging station), or 3,300 watts per hour. If you can drive with a 4miles per kWh energy efficiency then you should be able to get roughly 4*3.3 or 13.2 miles out of that 1 hour of charging.

High/low temps & other conditions will reduce this estimate.

(Note: My first instict says: If 208V, use the 208/240 ratio to multiply the above estimate, or 87% of that number. However, Ingineer or someone else might want to chime in here. I don't know if the LEAF charger compensates for the lower voltage with a higher current draw to output the same 3.3kW to the battery.)

memills said:
Is there a general rule of thumb formula for this?

charging : 3.3KW per hour

wall to wheels : 3.2 m/kwh

So 10 miles per hour (3.3 X 3.2).

Reduce this to 8 miles/hour for freeway drives with climate control to get conservative numbers.

Back