Orange for Drive, Green for ECO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeHorse

As I mentioned in the http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5340 thread, I often find it sometimes takes 2 clicks, sometimes 3 to put my LEAF in ECO and it's hard to see the display below the steering wheel.

I suggest the following very simple change. The LED that lights when you put it in drive is orange. I suggest as Orange LEDs are typically 3-phrase, where orange is AC, red is one direction and green the opposite direction (how they can call that a Diode I'll never know, but I digress).

So please make my life easier and make it the LED show Orange for Drive and Green for ECO so we can distinguish them from the shifter and not have to rely on the dash display which tends to be obscured by the steering wheel. Please!

TimeHorse said:
So please make my life easier and make it the LED show Orange for Drive and Green for ECO so we can distinguish them from the shifter and not have to rely on the dash display which tends to be obscured by the steering wheel. Please!

I can't agree with this idea for two reasons. First, I never have a problem seeing the dash to see whether it is in ECO, nor do I have a problem simply being able to tell the difference immediately based on throttle response. Second, some people like me are partially colorblind and have a hard time telling the difference between green and orange.

adric22 said:
TimeHorse said:

I can't agree with this idea for two reasons. First, I never have a problem seeing the dash to see whether it is in ECO, nor do I have a problem simply being able to tell the difference immediately based on throttle response. Second, some people like me are partially colorblind and have a hard time telling the difference between green and orange.

i agree.
you can see it easily, you can feel it and I have never experienced a problem with switching rapidly between ECO and D.
if you do, you should have the car checked. I doubt it is an operator issue.

I didn't say get rid of the other displays. Yes, it won't do any good for the colorblind but really that's no reason to say no! I mean, it's not you can't see green and orange, it's that you can't distinguish. So you can't distinguish. But you rely on the dash display. Me, I'm not as tall as I'd like to be so for me the display is obscured unless I sit funny and as far as pickup, I don't usually notice it right away because on the local roads I'm not slamming the accelerator and always use Cruise Control so under these circumstances it's easy to miss it for a few miles at least.

Bamn! Use case! :)

But as for a buggy LEAF, maybe. I suppose I can have them look at it next month when I do my 7500 mi Tire Rotation and get my November 2011 manual. Seems I can never get it into Neutral at the car wash but it's all to eager when I'm trying to get to work. :roll:

adric22 said:
TimeHorse said:
And third, I don't actually even look at the shifter. I do that by feel. It has an orange light? I never would have guessed that.

Ray

i just tilted steering wheel out of the way to see the dash but ya, its pretty easy to tell by feel "if" you are not fully charged. if you are, the difference between Eco and Drive are...uh..., well not so different

now, about this light?

TimeHorse said:
... Me, I'm not as tall as I'd like to be so for me the display is obscured unless I sit funny and as far as pickup, I don't usually notice it right away because on the local roads I'm not slamming the accelerator and always use Cruise Control so under these circumstances it's easy to miss it for a few miles at least. ...

What I often end up doing is start moving in D, and then click into Eco as I'm underway under mild acceleration (maybe @ 10 mph). The effect of the transition is immediately noticeable as the throttle curve is remapped and some power is pulled.

TimeHorse said:
how they can call that a Diode I'll never know, but I digress.
Well, that's because it's two diodes. Green facing one direction and Red facing the other. AC=both at once (well alternating but faster than you can see).

I am at odds with the shifter as well. There are sizable delays on switching "gears", and it seems like some of them wait until you release the stick altogether. Two quick bumps to "D" and you don't get ECO. Has to be slow and deliberate. My issue is that I am doing several things at once and usually have the wheel turned so that I can't see the dash. But I stop short of actually doing something about it. I can tell by the pedal response which gear it landed in.

Still, with enough wires (or CAN messages) it might actually be possible to do what you ask.

Back