Daylight Savings Time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

Well, today daylight savings time ended. So for those who forgot, it's time to turn the clocks back an hour. I hoped the car's clocks would automatically adjust for daylight savings, but it didn't.

For the clock in the touchscreen, you need to go into the clock settings menu (Menu > Settings > Others > Clock) and turn daylight savings time off. Manually. (When daylight savings goes into effect again you would go back in here again and turn daylight savings time back on.)

For the clock in the dash, you need to use the dash controls to the left of the steering wheel to turn the hour back.

That is all. :)

Wait a minute. You mean that my $35 cell phone, the twisted pair phone, the cable box, the iPad, an over five year old Garman GPS, and my old XP computer all changed but my Hi Tech LEAF didn't? Phooey.

Interestingly, the GPS derived clock on the center display did not roll back either. I haven't had a chance to look yet and see if there is a DST function or some such that needs to be set to enable this...

johnr said:
Well, today daylight savings time ended. So for those who forgot, it's time to turn the clocks back an hour. I hoped the car's clocks would automatically adjust for daylight savings, but it didn't.

The center display (GPS derived) clock is the one that the OP is talking about, and then mentions the other clock (eyebrow clock) at the end. Apparently the "DST On/Off" setting for the center display is just to turn on or off the offset, it does not automatically determine DST dates.

I found the same thing. Very annoying. I'm still also very pissed about the eyebrow clock being so inaccurate. So not only did I have to turn DST off on the GPS clock, but I had to adjust the hour on the eyebrow clock by advancing the hour by 23 and advancing the minute by 50 (since it had gained 10 minutes since the last time I reset it, and you can only advance each (hour and minute) forward and not backward).

TomT said:
Interestingly, the GPS derived clock on the center display did not roll back either. I haven't had a chance to look yet and see if there is a DST function or some such that needs to be set to enable this...

johnr said:

johnr said:
I hoped the car's clocks would automatically adjust for daylight savings, but it didn't.

There may be a DST setting for the console clock, and if there were one, mine was set to 'off' by my sales person since we are always on MST.

Clearly, time is very unimportant to Nissan and Nissan Engineers or they would have spent more than 5 cents on it... Simply amazing that they couldn't even get GPS DST implementation right! I have to go back to the early 1990s to find a car that I owned that didn't handle DST on it's own...

blorg said:
The center display (GPS derived) clock is the one that the OP is talking about, and then mentions the other clock (eyebrow clock) at the end. Apparently the "DST On/Off" setting for the center display is just to turn on or off the offset, it does not automatically determine DST dates.

I found the same thing. Very annoying. I'm still also very pissed about the eyebrow clock being so inaccurate. So not only did I have to turn DST off on the GPS clock, but I had to adjust the hour on the eyebrow clock by advancing the hour by 23 and advancing the minute by 50 (since it had gained 10 minutes since the last time I reset it, and you can only advance each (hour and minute) forward and not backward).

TomT said:
Clearly, time is very unimportant to Nissan and Nissan Engineers or they would have spent more than 5 cents on it... Simply amazing that they couldn't even get GPS DST implementation right! I have to go back to the early 1990s to find a car that I owned that didn't handle DST on it's own...

blorg said:

My 2001 Avalon didn't get the time change automatically either; but then at least that was only 1 clock! +1 on the annoyance of the driving console clock not have a go-back-1-hour button!

The clock for the middle display is important to set even if the display option for it is set off. Who needs two clocks showing?

But the timer functions for charging key off of the center console clock and have to be correct. Who knew?

Things like these are what makes a consumer perceive a vehicle as being cheap and of low quality. Nissan marketing needs to realize this and correct it. (I'm sure engineering would love to if they were allowed to do so). This has been an ongoing problem with Nissan for years.
smkettner said:
johnr said:
For the clock in the dash, you need to use the dash controls to the left of the steering wheel to turn the hour back.
You mean 23 hours forward. My 10 year old truck I can turn back but not Leaf.

True TomT.
Toyota kicks butt all over Nissan when it comes to these little <shrug> integration failures.

It makes the car feel more like a box of parts than an integrated whole.

At least the Infiniti has the "analog clock" excuse for why they're out of sync.

I don't think GPS knows or cares about DST. NTP, for instance, syncs everything in UTC and each computer converts it to local time, which means each computer has to understand the DST rules for its locale. GPS time isn't even UTC, it doesn't have the "leap seconds" which keep UTC aligned with the earth's rotation; each time a leap second is added the offset between UTC and GPS time becomes 1 second larger. WWVB transmits UTC, but has a flag which indicates US DST is in effect. I don't know that GPS even has a US DST flag, NTP certainly doesn't.

Getting the time right automatically, DST included, is not an impossible problem to solve, millions of computers all over the world get it right every day. So it is known how to solve the problem. But it is not a trivial problem, which is why some equipment manufacturers do not solve it. Yet another problem Nissan should fix in a future software update... (At least the center screen time; don't know whether they can fix the eyebrow clock without a hardware change.)

GPS sends a DST bit that equipment can use to control that parameter if it so desires. It was done that way to proactively deal with changes in DST that might be mandated by congress and which would otherwise obsolete hardwired equipment.

tps said:
I don't think GPS knows or cares about DST.

I vote that we just get rid of daylight savings time all together. Its very annoying and does not really serve any purpose in today's world. Arizona and Hawaii have it right.

palmermd said:
I vote that we just get rid of daylight savings time all together. Its very annoying and does not really serve any purpose in today's world. Arizona and Hawaii have it right.

+1

Though I'd argue get rid of Standard Time! We spend more time in Daylight Savings anyway. At this point Standard Time is the weird-a** aberration!

Don't get so upset. My PS3 does the same thing (manual DST set/reset option). I guess they don't want to figure out all the DST rules.

tps said:
I don't think GPS knows or cares about DST. NTP, for instance, syncs everything in UTC and each computer converts it to local time, which means each computer has to understand the DST rules for its locale. GPS time isn't even UTC, it doesn't have the "leap seconds" which keep UTC aligned with the earth's rotation; each time a leap second is added the offset between UTC and GPS time becomes 1 second larger. WWVB transmits UTC, but has a flag which indicates US DST is in effect. I don't know that GPS even has a US DST flag, NTP certainly doesn't.

Getting the time right automatically, DST included, is not an impossible problem to solve, millions of computers all over the world get it right every day. So it is known how to solve the problem. But it is not a trivial problem, which is why some equipment manufacturers do not solve it. Yet another problem Nissan should fix in a future software update... (At least the center screen time; don't know whether they can fix the eyebrow clock without a hardware change.)
You mean setting a clock to the right local time is harder than updating the local charge stations?

+1 But farmers and parents with school kids don't like DST in the winter...

TimeHorse said:
Though I'd argue get rid of Standard Time! We spend more time in Daylight Savings anyway. At this point Standard Time is the weird-a** aberration!

TomT said:
+1 But farmers and parents with school kids don't like DST in the winter...
What's the beef? Why can't school hours just be changed seasonally instead?

DST.jpg

TT

Why are the two clocks anyway???

Plus if there are two clocks why not have them pulling the time for the same place?

Why are the two clocks not synchronized? Poor engineering. Kind of like the white upholstery.

Back