Turning off the radio/music volume when navigation audio

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solangelist

Is there a setting to turn off the radio or other music (XM) currently playing when the navigation audio instructions come on? I have not found any, and the dealership could find any either. This feature had been implemented as far back as in my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid!

Currently on the Leaf both audio gets mixed together :(

There is no setting to entirely mute the radio but I have observed that it does reduce the volume significantly when the navi speaks. You can control how loud the navi portion is under "Guidance Settings" in the menu. By adjusting that up you may get satisfactory results. Also if you miss something you can always press and hold the MAP button and the last voice instruction will repeat.

SierraQ said:
There is no setting to entirely mute the radio but I have observed that it does reduce the volume significantly when the navi speaks. You can control how loud the navi portion is under "Guidance Settings" in the menu. By adjusting that up you may get satisfactory results. Also if you miss something you can always press and hold the MAP button and the last voice instruction will repeat.

hold the map button; nice one!!

TickTock said:
I'm just amazed someone is actually using the built-in nav!

I use it all the time and have zero problems with it. To me, it's no better/worse than Garmin... just WAY different in the way its set up and controlled. True, the menu system is a bit esoteric... but easily mastered once the learning curve is conquered.

TickTock said:
I use it too. For me, the convenience of having it built it to the car outweighs the limitations compared to a stand-alone GPS.

i like the Nav.
it was particularly useful one night when I was headed home on the 101 north of DT LA and had to go around a SIG Alert on that freeway near DT LA. My home is way south of there.
As the CHP started the slowdown a few cars ahead of me, I looked in the mirror, heaved to the right, pushed home and hit the off ramp.
The nav kept me left right left left to find away around the stopped zone.

TickTock said:
My ancient and, at that time quite expensive, Garmin C340 has some better features, and the maps are current. BUT, I find the LEAF NAV quite useful and frequently use it for local navigation. I just wish the maps were a bit more current.

Beats the pants off the Thomas Guide. :D

I have the opposite problem. Since I listen to audiobooks, I lose part of the plot while the nav voice is speaking. The only two ways I've found to minimize the problem is to turn off the audio before every turn or interchange, or to wait until I'm in unfamiliar territory and really need the nav before turning it on. The problem with that latter method is that I usually use Google Maps to set the destination before getting in the car, so if I haven't already downloaded the destination and set it as the new destination, I may have trouble getting a connection to the information center when I need it. I know how to replay the audio I missed, but the controls for that are really slow and clunky. You have to hold down that damn button way too long, and the fragmentary playback you hear while doing so is usually more confusing than helpful. They should find a way to just pause the audio while the nav voice is speaking.

Rat said:
I have the opposite problem. Since I listen to audiobooks, I lose part of the plot while the nav voice is speaking. ...
How about simply turning the voice off? The screen is perfectly readable and tells where your next turn is and how far away it is.

In case anyone didn't know, you can adjust the volume of the nav voice simply by using the volume controls *while she speaks*.

Though I find it kinda clunky as the volume seems to remain constant, so if I turn up the music, when she comes on, shes not loud enough to be heard over the music...and if I turn the music down, she's too loud.

But I suppose one could turn her voice all the way down until you got to where you needed the nav, then hit the map button and use the volume controls to turn her up again.

davewill said:
Rat said:
I have the opposite problem. Since I listen to audiobooks, I lose part of the plot while the nav voice is speaking. ...
How about simply turning the voice off? The screen is perfectly readable and tells where your next turn is and how far away it is.
I have to study the screen to follow it visually, which means taking my eyes off the road way too long for safety. Not only that, but in unfamiliar territory I may not know when I'm coming up on the next turn unless prompted by the voice, which means I could drive right by my turn without knowing it. I can't very well look at the nav screen constantly to watch how close I'm getting. With the voice I'm prompted. In addition, the nav voice tells you well in advance which lane to be in for an onramp, while the screen only shows that right at the last moment when it switches from overhead to forward 3D view and then the screen is rapidly changing orientation making it very hard to follow. The voice is easily 5X easier/safer than relying on the screen.

Back