Additional Trunk Light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yunebug

The small light in the cargo area is not cutting it. I had a few of these LED bars left over from other projects and put it in.

https://imgur.com/a/ZHkzJhf

MUCH brighter and usable now! :D

Had the same issue, the stock bulb "incadesent" wasn't cutting it. Bought a super bright LED drop in replacement. Much better now. Your solution should be great for those times the little side light gets covered by stuff making it difficult to find stuff at night. :cool:

I just bought a pack of these and installed them both into my dome light and the trunk area:
https://www.amazon.com/DE3175-Interior-Courtesy-Bulbs-Earthland-Festoon/dp/B07N1JBQWJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=DE3175+DE3021+LED+Light+Bulbs+for+Car+Interior+Lights+Map+Dome+6pcs+31mm&qid=1576682949&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Significantly brighter than stock. Fit was OK in the dome light, but the trunk light I had to bend the metal bracket a bit to get it to hold the bulb. No external wires or other changes and it's working great now. Very happy with them, and only $8 (and no external wires)

yunebug said:
The small light in the cargo area is not cutting it. I had a few of these LED bars left over from other projects and put it in.

https://imgur.com/a/ZHkzJhf

MUCH brighter and usable now! :D

Good solution. You might want to wrap those thin leads with some electrical tape and put inside a length of "split loom", to prevent chafing and shorting from movement. You can pick it up at auto parts or hardware stores.

I'm amazed by the continued improvement of LED lighting. I just picked up some "stocking stuffer" keychain lights -- smaller than the LEAF fob but put out more light than even my dedicated bike light from several years ago. 380 lumens!

20180312142932_81971.jpg

Lothsahn said:
I just bought a pack of these and installed them both into my dome light and the trunk area:
https://www.amazon.com/DE3175-Interior-Courtesy-Bulbs-Earthland-Festoon/dp/B07N1JBQWJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=DE3175+DE3021+LED+Light+Bulbs+for+Car+Interior+Lights+Map+Dome+6pcs+31mm&qid=1576682949&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Significantly brighter than stock. Fit was OK in the dome light, but the trunk light I had to bend the metal bracket a bit to get it to hold the bulb. No external wires or other changes and it's working great now. Very happy with them, and only $8 (and no external wires)

amazon smile has them for $6.

https://smile.amazon.com/DE3175-Fes...s+for+Car+Interior&qid=1576703164&sr=8-4&th=1

Lothsahn said:

Ordered :)
If I'm reading it correctly the 4 pack(this is a 6 pack) LB linked is 1/2 the brightness(400lm in the 4 pack, 800lm in the 6 pack). Whether this correct I don't know but I'm ordering the 6 pack.

Interesting. Why would the same model number bulb have two different intensities depending on the number of bulbs in the pack? Amazon listing are notorious for being wrong...off to the reviews...

"VERY bright, but not CAN bus compliant - could cause problems
December 11, 2018
Size: 578 ledVerified Purchase
These bulbs are super bright and two will make it look like daylight inside my 2005 4-door Dodge Ram (same as 2002-2008). The problem is that they won't work correctly in all sockets/applications. I will explain - My Ram has a dome light, two map lights, and a glove box light in the cab. These will work in the dome light correctly, but not the others. The map lights won't come on by using the switches, only when a door is opened (not acceptable). In searching the web, I found that this is because of the CAN bus system installed in most modern cars. If you google "Using LED with a CAN Bus System", it will come up.

What I did to make these work well enough for now is to install an old conventional bulb in the left map light and an led in the right one. That way, when I open the doors, the dome light and map lights come on as intended. When I need a map light, I have to turn on the left one FIRST (old bulb), and if I want more light, then turn on the right one (led). The only way the glove box led will come on is if the left map light is on as well. I rated these bulbs 5 stars because they're so dang bright, and it's kinda my fault for not knowing I needed the CAN bus leds. Now I'll check into the price of error-free CAN bus compliant leds...

If you want to read what others here said about this error, do a search thru these reviews for "canbus".

Given that several reviews state that these bulbs are too bright for cabin use, and the short life (weeks) that some experienced, I think I'll get the 4 pack and replace just the rear cargo light bulb.

jjeff said:
Lothsahn said:

In my cart :)
If I'm reading it correctly the 4 pack(this is a 6 pack) LB linked is 1/2 the brightness(400lm in the 4 pack, 800lm in the 6 pack). Whether this correct I don't know but I'm ordering the 6 pack.

I don't know how many lumens it is, but I ordered the 24 smd LED not the 12 smd led (both are dropdowns on the page). They look exactly as shown in the picture. When I powered one on, it was painfully and blindingly bright when I glanced at it. Behind the diffuser, however, it's great. If anything, it could even be a little bit brighter.

It's very possible the lumens are off. Reading through reviews I've found that specs of bulbs are often off. I also found that the bulbs don't throw any CAN codes in my 2011 Leaf. CANBUS compliance only works if the car is "smart"--specifically luxury automobiles that tell you a bulb is burned out on the dash, etc. I highly doubt the Leaf needs CANBUS compliant trunk or dome light bulbs in any model year.

Like I said earlier, they're slightly longer than the festoon bulb in the dome (but not by much), so it fit OK. They are longer than festoon bulb in the trunk area--probably 1/4". They would not fit in the trunk bracket. I bent the metal bracket slightly with pliers and it fit and has been working great. They're probably 2-4x brighter than the stock bulbs (based on human perception). Even though it's extra wide, it just barely fit within the reflector in the trunk area.

There are now lots of different battery powered motion detecting LED lights. Something like this with some velcro hook glued to the back would work, but on the back of the seat, not the top unless you attach it better. I have one, it's quite bright for a small space with an even light. I had already put an LED in the side light, it's just not enough.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S8RX2Y6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

flydiver said:
There are now lots of different battery powered motion detecting LED lights. Something like this with some velcro hook glued to the back would work, but on the back of the seat, not the top unless you attach it better. I have one, it's quite bright for a small space with an even light. I had already put an LED in the side light, it's just not enough.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S8RX2Y6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm inclined to agree. I may use a light with a simple switch, though, as the motion detector lights are often squirrel-ly, and kill their batteries. Also, having looked at the brightness of my cabin light last night, I'm fine with it. What I need is brighter map lights and an extra light in the cargo area.

I just installed a 6x8 5050 led panel in the center roof light. Now you need sunglasses at night time they are that bright! :D

LeftieBiker said:
flydiver said:

I'm inclined to agree. I may use a light with a simple switch, though, as the motion detector lights are often squirrel-ly, and kill their batteries. Also, having looked at the brightness of my cabin light last night, I'm fine with it. What I need is brighter map lights and an extra light in the cargo area.

I ordered a 2 pack from Amazon. Both are "tap" lights. Will install one for hatch likely on ceiling and other for "maybe" the front area. Not sure yet. Best part is its "peel and stick" so if I don't like the placement, I will move it around. I have package of velcro I might use in a few spots to make the light "adjustable" :)

One thing I did discover is the map light has two buttons on each side but only one works. Maplight works on both sides though so definitely one of those "oh by the way" things to bring up for my next service visit (which I plan to never make ;) )

Flydiver; HOLY CRAP! Are you sure you want to have a "light/locator beacon?" :shock: :lol:

Back