+40HP/30KW for Leaf VCM upgrade via K-Tag

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

I just find this fascinating as it would bring power up to exactly what the Gen2 40Kwh leaf offers.

They are at least 2 seconds faster to 60mph, so it appears to be a no brainer for those of us that don’t want to invest too much into an electric car, but also like to use what power a car offers.

that is really neat, first time i see it. I have not heard of anyone being able to do a VCM upgrade yet but i would gladly volunteer/pay for this, for 40 more hp. where did you see the 40hp/30kw increase noted on the website?

I have often wondered by its taken so long to get a mod-chip available for the LEAF. My 85 Trans AM (not to date myself, but that was 10 years newer then the car that preceded it) had aftermarket chips available to tweak performance. How could EV's not have mod chips available as well. Considering that all the Leaf's still use the same electric motor, this is not a surprise.

We all know that the Leaf is under torqued 0-20 mph. while I don't want more power on my Leaf, I am guessing there are those out there that would love a sleeper Leaf. On the Leaf+ that beat the Tesla S in that race in Japan a year ago, I do believe that changed the acceleration curve for the low end of the Leaf.

Fun in any case. Please report back if you buy it and power up your Leaf.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have often wondered by its taken so long to get a mod-chip available for the LEAF. My 85 Trans AM (not to date myself, but that was 10 years newer then the car that preceded it) had aftermarket chips available to tweak performance. How could EV's not have mod chips available as well. Considering that all the Leaf's still use the same electric motor, this is not a surprise.

We all know that the Leaf is under torqued 0-20 mph. while I don't want more power on my Leaf, I am guessing there are those out there that would love a sleeper Leaf. On the Leaf+ that beat the Tesla S in that race in Japan a year ago, I do believe that changed the acceleration curve for the low end of the Leaf.

Fun in any case. Please report back if you buy it and power up your Leaf.

Do they really use the same motor in the plus?
The standard leaf motor could probably make around 400ft•lb of torque at a few RPMs, but I don't think the transmission could take it.

I'll do it as long as it's not ridiculously expensive.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I hope someone else can confirm, but I have heard that both use the same motor part number. Its just that the bigger battery can provide more power to the motor.

It's the inverter that has been upgraded a couple of times. That's what provides power to the motor from the battery.

I contacted them, here is the reply
Hello,

Thank you for your interest into our products.

We do not have yet a specific product line for EV cars, but the supported models including the Leaf are included in the Car application.

So no way to tune it, but it can read and write data to ECU. A 12month subscription would be somewhere in the 5-10k€ range. Forgetaboutit :)

Back