Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Rocking the Eco tires

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Who says muscle cars get to have all the fun?

Maybe I'm going through an adolescent phase, but I decided my LEAF would look good with white lettering on the tires. The Bridgestones don't get a lot of love. I say it's time to be proud and Rock those Eco tires :mrgreen:

When I looked for something to do this with, the product with the most favorable references seemed to be "Ranger Tire Paint" http://www.rangerpaint.com/. I suspect that their "breakthrough" comes in decanting rubberized white road paint into little cans, but whatever works....

The first attempt failed miserably and the paint began to flake after the first drive. They don't give much in the way of instructions other than to just wipe off the tire with a dry rag. But usually when paint fails that spectacularly it's a surface prep problem. I suspect some mold release compound was still on the tire or maybe some silicone product was applied at some point. So for the second attempt I scrubbed the lettering vigorously with a stiff nylon brush and a solution of water and Dawn dishwashing liquid, scrubbed vigorously again with clear water and dried the tires. I used denatured alcohol to keep the brush clean. Apropos, you shouldn't use petroleum-based products with this paint. :)

This iteration seems to be holding with no signs of cracks or flakes after a couple of high-speed runs. I'll try to remember to give an update after a few thousand miles.

The painting is a bit tedious, but the lettering does have raised ridges which makes it fairly easy to fill them in. Perfection is elusive, especially after three coats (and you do need three). Still I think it shows well.

They also have some colors available.

I think it really brightens up the appearance whereas before the wheel areas were sort of visual black holes. Even my wife thinks it looks good and she's not afraid to critique my nutty ideas. :lol:

I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Re: Rocking the Eco tires

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Interesting... I think I like it. But I'm not sure! :lol:

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

eHelmholtz
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:34 pm

GeekEV wrote:Interesting... I think I like it. But I'm not sure! :lol:
I like it! but unfortunately it doesn't do much for driving characteristics of the tires.

rslatkin
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 015112

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 am

Sounds like a lot of work, but it looks great!

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 am

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that, if I still had those rags on my Leaf, I'd want to hide them as much as possible! :lol:
eHelmholtz wrote:
GeekEV wrote:Interesting... I think I like it. But I'm not sure! :lol:
I like it! but unfortunately it doesn't do much for driving characteristics of the tires.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 pm

After a nice warm 100+ miles of driving Sunday, lettering still intact. Once they start looking grungy I might opt for "eco" green... What do you think?

(GIMP-ified image)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”