GetOffYourGas
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:09 am

It's great to see the progress here. I think the only significant surprise to me (probably most of us) is the aforementioned capacity warranty extension.

I just hope this is enough to compete with the second-generation Volt. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other BEV makers will do in response. Will VW/Ford just let their BEVs wither? (I assume yes for Ford, but maybe not for VW) Will they drop the prices? Or have they been silently working on improving their own batteries?
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:57 am

Click here for the '16 LEAF Specifications Thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p436296
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

BernieTx
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:39 am
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Austin, Tx

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:10 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:It's great to see the progress here.... I just hope this is enough to compete with the second-generation Volt. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other BEV makers will do in response.
I think the Volt and the Leaf should both do fine, as well as the new Toyota Prius, and the Tesla's. Lots of good options to reduce gasoline usage. The biggest concern is weather the market for BEV's/PHEV's can grow enough to become profitable, to encourage continued investment.
2014 Chevy Volt ...

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:19 am

BernieTx wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:It's great to see the progress here.... I just hope this is enough to compete with the second-generation Volt. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other BEV makers will do in response.
I think the Volt and the Leaf should both do fine, as well as the new Toyota Prius, and the Tesla's. Lots of good options to reduce gasoline usage. The biggest concern is weather the market for BEV's/PHEV's can grow enough to become profitable, to encourage continued investment.
I hope you are right. Note that I was referring to the very near future. I have no doubts that the Leaf 2.0 will be much more successful than the current one, even with 30kWh.

I think long-term, the BEV/PHEV market will have no trouble becoming profitable. The question in my mind is rather whether it will grow enough to support a viable/profitable public charging infrastructure. This is what is needed to move past the commuter BEV, and/or need for a generator a la PHEV/EREV.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

FloridaMan
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:05 am
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 021544

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:28 am

NEWS TODAY: EPA 107 Mile range on the 30Kwh 2016 Leafs: (SV & SL models)

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... ve-package

*f*

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:57 am

If the SV $1,900 price increase is all due to the additional 6 kWh, that is a pricing of $316.67 per kWh.

Probably about right for Nissan's real production cost.

Means the $5,499 24 kWh battery is being sold ~28% below cost.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

BernieTx
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:39 am
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Austin, Tx

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:22 am

GetOffYourGas wrote: I hope you are right. Note that I was referring to the very near future. I have no doubts that the Leaf 2.0 will be much more successful than the current one, even with 30kWh.

I think long-term, the BEV/PHEV market will have no trouble becoming profitable. The question in my mind is rather whether it will grow enough to support a viable/profitable public charging infrastructure. This is what is needed to move past the commuter BEV, and/or need for a generator a la PHEV/EREV.
It seems there are a lot of compliance cars, selling at a loss and only available in CARB states. My concern is that perhaps the market expects the BEVs at prices too low to allow for profitability. Regarding public charging infrastructure, it seems to me that a 107 mile car is still a commuter BEV, and the current infrastructure is already sufficient in many localities.
2014 Chevy Volt ...

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:13 am

BernieTx wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote: I hope you are right. Note that I was referring to the very near future. I have no doubts that the Leaf 2.0 will be much more successful than the current one, even with 30kWh.

I think long-term, the BEV/PHEV market will have no trouble becoming profitable. The question in my mind is rather whether it will grow enough to support a viable/profitable public charging infrastructure. This is what is needed to move past the commuter BEV, and/or need for a generator a la PHEV/EREV.
It seems there are a lot of compliance cars, selling at a loss and only available in CARB states. My concern is that perhaps the market expects the BEVs at prices too low to allow for profitability. Regarding public charging infrastructure, it seems to me that a 107 mile car is still a commuter BEV, and the current infrastructure is already sufficient in many localities.
Agreed. Affordable 150-200 mile BEVs are coming. 2-3 years. And yes, that includes the Leaf. I would say that a 200-mile BEV, without public infrastructure, is also still a commuter BEV. You need both range and infrastructure to move beyond.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

User avatar
JPWhite
Gold Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734
Location: Hendersonville TN
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Did you all see in John Voelcker's coverage of the 2016 reveal that previous MY LEAF's will not be eligible for a 30kWh upgrade pack.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/109 ... -unchanged

This eventuality was predicted by many here, but it is still a disappointment.
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
2011 Blue SL-e, 132,400 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)
2018 Model 3 20,000 Miles.

User avatar
DaveEV
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6236
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:06 am

Locking this topic in favor of the one with the latest specs:

2016 LEAF Specifications

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”