Nissan : Leaf’s Battery Pack Should Last As Long As The Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1064332_nissan-leafs-battery-pack-should-last-as-long-as-the-car

“The Leaf battery pack is designed to last the lifetime of the car. IF used in normal conditions, it is not expected that owners will ever have to replace the battery pack,” a spokesperson told us. “Our tests suggest that the battery will be at 80% capacity after five years depending on charging and usage. Even at 80% the Leaf would give a range of more than 80 miles.”
“We are confident that [rapid] charging once a day will have no impact on the expected durability,” said a Nissan representative. “A single [rapid] charge plus a conventional charge per day would give enough to travel almost 200 miles a day, or 72,000 miles a year. The average motorist does less than 10,000 miles a year. An example from our telematics shows a privately-owned Leaf in Tokyo still has 100% charge capacity after 10,00 miles and 326 [rapid] charges."

Perhaps the car is designed to fall apart when the battery goes :D

There is a piece of data I'd like to get my hands on. The cars used for the Drive Tour (the ones with "562" on their plates) are repeatedly fast charged throughout the day. I wonder how well they are holding up?

evnow said:
QUOTE: An example from our telematics shows a privately-owned Leaf in Tokyo still has 100% charge capacity after 10,00 miles and 326 [rapid] charges."
Now this is a piece of valuable information, especially for those owners or potential owners experiencing long-term "capacity anxiety." Thanks for finding and posting articles like this!

I would consider end of life, for my driving needs, to be about a 20-25 percent loss... So, extrapolating, it would appear that they expect the life of the car to be about 5 years... My four year lease is looking better and better! :lol:

evnow said:
The Leaf battery pack is designed to last the lifetime of the car. IF used in normal conditions, it is not expected that owners will ever have to replace the battery pack,” a spokesperson told us. “Our tests suggest that the battery will be at 80% capacity after five years depending on charging and usage. Even at 80% the Leaf would give a range of more than 80 miles.”

mogur said:
I would consider end of life, for my driving needs, to be about a 20-25 percent loss... So, extrapolating, it would appear that they expect the life of the car to be about 5 years... My four year lease is looking better and better! :lol:

I interpret the quote "depending on charging and usage" much differently: it MAY result in a 20% loss of capacity, meaning it COULD be much better if you observe many of the "tips" discussed in these forums (not the least of which is consistent 80% charging). Of course, the answers will have to wait until we have more real world (not accelerated aging) data.

“ An example from our telematics shows a privately-owned Leaf in Tokyo still has 100% charge capacity after 10,00 miles and 326 [rapid] charges."[/quote][/quote]

Interesting that they can see battery capacity over Carwings. So why do we have to have a battery check if they can see the battery capacity via telematics?

Bassman said:
Interesting that they can see battery capacity over Carwings. So why do we have to have a battery check if they can see the battery capacity via telematics?

Its to train the drivers in the proper treatment of batteries.

I/we have not yet identified a "Battery Capacity" raw value on the EV-CAN buss. However, there appears to be what could be a "Capacity Bars" number.

IF the LEAF reports only Capacity-Bars, and they have about 8% steps, then any "capacity" over 92% would still "look like" 100%.

So, to me, a LEAF's capacity still being "at 100%" COULD just mean "above 92%" (not enough loss to SHOW yet).

mogur said:
I would consider end of life, for my driving needs, to be about a 20-25 percent loss... So, extrapolating, it would appear that they expect the life of the car to be about 5 years... My four year lease is looking better and better!
I should think this the case for many people. The other question would be: If the battery loses 20%-25% of capacity over five years what happens over ten years? Degradation is not going to stop at five years.

FIVE years is the life of a car??? I am thinking 15 to 20 years is the life of a vehicle.
Usually there is lots of life left when I sell a vehicle in 10 to 15 years.

Do we know Nissan can see Capacity through telematics, or did they notice this owner doing all the charging and ask him/her to bring the car in for a battery test.

I have absolutely nothing to base this on but I would expect it to initially be fairly linear and then logarithmic near the end of life...

SanDust said:
The other question would be: If the battery loses 20%-25% of capacity over five years what happens over ten years? Degradation is not going to stop at five years.

From the Top Gear thread, there was a quote from Nissan indicating they could tell charge through CarWings.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5034&start=0

Herm said:
Bassman said:

Its to train the drivers in the proper treatment of batteries.
I don't think they are just getting the data thr' telematics. They are referring to "tests" - clearly they got this data when tests were conducted on the leaf battery at a dealership.

91040 said:
From the Top Gear thread, there was a quote from Nissan indicating they could tell charge through CarWings.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5034&start=0
Yes, we can all login to carwings & refresh to get the latest SOC.

If this is true it looks like Nissan's use of a simple air cooled battery thermal management system will pay off big time in terms of cost and reliability over those manufactures using the much more complicated liquid cooled systems.

Herm said:
I dont see this as good news, Carlos Gosh originally said 8-10 years to the 80% degradation point.

320+ DC fast charges over 10,000 miles pretty much blows away anything I'm planning on doing with any kind of regularity, which should result in even better longevity of the pack. I'll feel even better if after some more months/years they can show that folks doing occasional multiple QC's in a day are not showing problems either. Being able to do an occasional 300 miles in a day would be nice, as in a couple of times a year. Once these batteries can take multiple QC's and go 600-700 miles in a day, there will truly be no conceivable need for an ICE as a second car. We may be closer to that than we all realize.

g

Back