lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: LEAF CANbus decoding. (Open discussion)

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:48 am

JeremyW wrote: It's likely the CAR CAN bus has been removed from the OBD connector, and replaced with a new "diagnostic bus" that talks just to the VCM, which can relay the message onto the requested module by decoding the query address and sending it onward to the appropriate bus where the module is located.
That's basically what's done on most all vehicles since 2005, i.e. using a single CAN bus with a central gateway (CG) that communicates
with the multiple buses (high speed engine/ABS & low speed single-ended comfort control) to access the various vehicle ECUs. Typically the
CG also controls which ECUs are active in the network, e.g. what comfort features the vehicle has installed.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

NiallDarwin
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 004321

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:26 am

JeremyW wrote: Typically the CG also controls which ECUs are active in the network, e.g. what comfort features the vehicle has installed.
Is this likely to be what decides if options such as Cruise Control are enabled? I tried to upgrade my Leaf to this by simply installing the steering wheel button assembly. There was a connector right there in the wheel for the loom to plug in to. Sadly it wasn't as simple as that. I didn't really think it would be but you never know! :D

Tremelune
Delivery Date: 07 Apr 2019

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm

I'm trying to put a Nissan Leaf drivetrain into a classic Mini. Getting the complete Leaf components working on a bench has been somewhat frustrating, and is ultimately not the ideal solution—it's a cost-saving measure vs buying aftermarket components.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to shell out more for BMS, charging, and DC-DC conversion, but it seems like a shame to spend another $3k on components that are (arguably) inferior just because I can't communicate with the components I already have.

I'm a software engineer by trade, so I was thinking about building a CAN controller for these components, but I've never messed with an Arduino, the CAN protocol, or anything specific to an automobile's proprietary communications protocol before. It seems like something that would already have been done by someone more knowledgeable, but maybe this hobby is still a niche of niches.

Before I go back through 8 years of this thread, is there a summation somewhere? I've read that the Nissan Leaf CAN bus messages have all been decoded, but I can't find any central location for information that might help me actually control these components...

Edit: If anyone stumbles on this thread from the Greater Internet, a summation is that the first 40 pages talk about decoding and general CAN interface stuff, and after that gets into controlling the charger and motor a bit. Lots of info, but no I-can-use-this-component breakthroughs yet...This forum seems like a good place to search for more information:

viewforum.php?f=44

Thread on "active" CAN bus stuff (getting info from the BMS/LBC):

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11676

There is also a pretty good forum for general EV conversions here: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

Here's a spreadsheet of all the decoded Leaf CAN messages: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Fm0P7ouwg/

Here's a thread that ends with some success in controlling the inverter: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25027

More inverter details from that thread: http://productions.8dromeda.net/c55-lea ... tocol.html

Jimma Hanna's video on getting the DC-DC converter working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhcHkOg-Mk

ybpvin
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 022135

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:04 am

IskeSoderlund wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:22 pm
Hi!
Been lurking here for a while, I'm trying to hack a leaf OBD charger. I've come quite a way closer to charging. I've written a program which makes the charger think it's in the leaf. And it seems to work the charger is no longer sending "fault" signals by CAN. And I'm trying to make it charge by sending the same messages that the VCM sends to the leaf when charging, according to CAN captures by carrot. I still haven't been able to make it charge. Is it possible that the charger like the inverter saves DTC and refuses to start charging? If so what's my best option to remove stored DTCs?

If anyone wants my codes for the program or help with making the charger "think" its in a leaf just contact me!
I'm trying to start the charger. On a block of charges, the LED indicates that the charge is running, but there is no current on the batteries. Do you have success?

coleafrado
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2011

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:24 am

ybpvin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:04 am
IskeSoderlund wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:22 pm
Hi!
Been lurking here for a while, I'm trying to hack a leaf OBD charger. I've come quite a way closer to charging. I've written a program which makes the charger think it's in the leaf. And it seems to work the charger is no longer sending "fault" signals by CAN. And I'm trying to make it charge by sending the same messages that the VCM sends to the leaf when charging, according to CAN captures by carrot. I still haven't been able to make it charge. Is it possible that the charger like the inverter saves DTC and refuses to start charging? If so what's my best option to remove stored DTCs?

If anyone wants my codes for the program or help with making the charger "think" its in a leaf just contact me!
I'm trying to start the charger. On a block of charges, the LED indicates that the charge is running, but there is no current on the batteries. Do you have success?
Two possibilities here: your battery is simply balancing and won't accept a charge until balance is restored or you have a defective onboard charger.

ybpvin

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm trying to get battery current with ID 1db. I so understand the battery current is placed in 0 and 1 bit. Tell me how to calculate the current?

Dala
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:48 am

ybpvin wrote:
I'm trying to get battery current with ID 1db. I so understand the battery current is placed in 0 and 1 bit. Tell me how to calculate the current?
Battery Current is in (Byte[0] 7-0 Byte[1] 7-5), so 11bit long and unit seems to be cA/2 (0.5A/bit)

ybpvin

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am

Dala wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:48 am
ybpvin wrote:
Battery Current is in (Byte[0] 7-0 Byte[1] 7-5), so 11bit long and unit seems to be cA/2 (0.5A/bit)
Thanks ))

NiallDarwin
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 004321

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Tremelune wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Jimma Hanna's video on getting the DC-DC converter working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhcHkOg-Mk
@Tremelune Broken Link! Any chance its still up but moved?

Tremelune
Delivery Date: 07 Apr 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:11 pm

That's a bummer, I do not know where it went:

https://insideevs.com/news/324591/nissa ... ded-video/

Return to “LEAF CANBus”