‘13 leaf, 8 bars, under certified warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13certifiedFL

Hi guys,
I have a 2013 leaf with almost 80k miles, it is still under warranty as a certified Nissan, it just went down to 8 bars, local dealership says the battery won’t get replaced since the battery is 100% healthy with no dead cells, is this normal?

The capacity warranty (which was added in response to a pending class action lawsuit) for your 2013 ended at 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever came first. 30kwh and higher Leafs have 8 year, 100,000 mile capacity warranties. Your car did have an 8 year warranty against defects, IIRC, but that applies only to bad cells, as you have learned. Your battery is NOT "100% healthy" but it is apparently showing only "normal" (for a 13 leaf that was probably built right before they improved the batteries) degradation. I'm sorry.

Yep. The dumb Nissan "certified" warranty didn't extend the 5 year/60K mile (whichever comes first) capacity warranty that should be in your warranty booklet.

30 kWh Leafs didn't exist until model year '16, starting with '16 SV and '16 SL.

If the OP is in Florida (guessing by the FL), the temps there aren't kind to Leaf batteries.

I have 20k miles or 3 months left on my certified warranty, how do I check to see if a cell is going bad within this time period?

Also what is the average expected life span of the rest of the drive train?, can I expect to take my car to 150k?

Thanks

13certifiedFL said:
I have 20k miles or 3 months left on my certified warranty, how do I check to see if a cell is going bad within this time period?

Also what is the average expected life span of the rest of the drive train?, can I expect to take my car to 150k?

Thanks

LeafSpy Pro and an appropriate OBDII port reader like the one in my signature will show imbalances due to bad cells. Don't be too optimistic about there being a bad cell, though. There are Leafs at or near 150k miles by now. Things to check are onboard charger, climate control system, and brake booster unit.

Back