3 months left on certified warranty, sell or keep?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13certifiedFL

I have a 2013 Leaf S(Florida), with 79k miles, I bought it as a certified Nissan, now only 3 months are left on the warranty, should I try to sell the car?
As a leaf buyer how much of an importance is the warranty?
It seems like there are no good deals on 2017+ leafs, and if I sell this I want to get a 2017 or 2018 leaf, good time to sell, but bad time to buy?
How much more could I get for my car before the warranty runs out?
Any thoughts?

13certifiedFL said:
I have a 2013 Leaf S(Florida), with 79k miles, I bought it as a certified Nissan, now only 3 months are left on the warranty, should I try to sell the car?
As a leaf buyer how much of an importance is the warranty?
How much more could I get for my car before the warranty runs out?
Probably little given that 3 months are left and if it's Nissan CPO warranty, it's not that helpful. When was the original in-service date? It might already be over.

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-74ab36cc85124efeaec2ad022b67f245-nissan-plugs-electric-leaf-into-certified-pre-owned-vehicles-program says "Nissan will extend the EV system and powertrain warranty coverage to 7 years or 100,000 miles*."

And, you only have 8 capacity bars left...

You won't be able to find a 2017 Plus, as the plus wasn't introduced until 2018.
We recently bought a 2017 S, and if you don't need range over ~110 miles, it's a good car. There is a pretty big jump in used prices to 2018 and newer Leafs (even the non-plus versions), as the redesign in 2018 changed a lot of things in the car.

As for selling you current car: I don't think you'll get much selling it, so if the range is still working for you, I would suggest keeping it.

I bought my 2013 LEAF used with 3 months remaining on the new car warranty. This was my first EV, and I appreciated the warranty as insurance against buying a lemon. The car had 12 capacity bars. If it would have had less capacity bars I would not have bought it, warranty or not.

You are asking how much I value lemon insurance. Off-hand, I'll guess I would pay 5% more than the same car without a warranty.

Driver8 said:
You won't be able to find a 2017 Plus, as the plus wasn't introduced until 2018.
I'm guessing the OP meant 2017 or newer model year.

(62 kWh with over 200 mile on EPA range test) Leaf Plus didn't ship in the US until a few months into 2019: https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-014945dbe939405f97533f414bc81c2d-us-2019-nissan-leaf-plus as variant of the '19 Leaf.

I can tell you for certain it was not yet shipping when I bought my '19 Bolt at the end of Jan 2019. I physically saw and got inside a Leaf Plus at CES in early Jan 2019 at Nissan's booth, before they were on sale in the US.

Back