What work can a non-dealer mechanic do on a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baerster

Hello, we've been driving our 2018 Leaf for almost a month now, and it's been great. I added a 240 volt 50-amp circuit to our house for Level 2 charging at home, and it's been working as advertised.

If we ever need to have more than maintenance work done on the car, is there work that only the dealer can do? For instance if there are problems with software or computer control, is that proprietary stuff that only Nissan can do? I ask partly because I am still trying to decide if I should cancel the warranty I bought for extra cost. According to Consumer Reports, the 2018 Leaf has had more transmission and power control problems than other years, and I am thinking that if major repairs can be done by a non-dealer mechanic, that's one more reason to cancel the warranty.

Thanks,

-Tom

The annual battery test has to be done by a Nissan dealer. Anything involving the drivetrain likely also has to be done by a dealer. Things like brake and suspension work can be done by anyone, as long as the work is documented.

Back