Yodrak
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:01 am
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402954
Location: St Louis, MO

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Factory maintenance and checkups? Damned if I'll be sending my Leaf back to the factory for any checkups, free or not.
gasmiser1 wrote: 2 free factory traction battery pack check-ups paid for by Nissan.
??
??
Khun Yodrak
2013 SL

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Dilemma on car washes. I've read that retail car washes are better environmentally because the water is recycled (Southern Cal "Be Water Wise"). So I've been paying for my car washes for years rather than wash that water and detergent down the sewer to the ocean.

With the Leaf, I don't want to turn the car over to those car wash guys, who wouldn't know an EV if it ran over them, though they're plenty used to hybrids.

So for the first few years, I'll probably wash it myself. Then when it seems that there are enough Leafs out there, maybe I'll let the car wash at it.

I wonder if there will be special instructions in the owner's manual for how to put it through a car wash.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11477
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Boomer23 wrote:Dilemma on car washes. I've read that retail car washes are better environmentally because the water is recycled (Southern Cal "Be Water Wise"). So I've been paying for my car washes for years rather than wash that water and detergent down the sewer to the ocean.
Atleast here in WA - car wash is the #1 cause of water pollution.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... unoff.html
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

indyflick
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 am

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:15 am

evnow wrote:
Boomer23 wrote:Dilemma on car washes. I've read that retail car washes are better environmentally because the water is recycled (Southern Cal "Be Water Wise"). So I've been paying for my car washes for years rather than wash that water and detergent down the sewer to the ocean.
Atleast here in WA - car wash is the #1 cause of water pollution.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... unoff.html
In the article they say, "Even washing a car without soap or with biodegradable soap is a no-no if the water runs off into storm drains, because it still picks up oil, grease and metals from the vehicle's brake pads."

But if you're driving in the rain, won't that also happen? Perhaps it's beneficial to the environment to wash your car on a regular basis at a car wash which recycles the water to remove that material.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6677
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:27 am

Yodrak wrote:Factory maintenance and checkups? Damned if I'll be sending my Leaf back to the factory for any checkups, free or not.
gasmiser1 wrote: 2 free factory traction battery pack check-ups paid for by Nissan.
??
??

All monitored by BMS and the big brother cell connection in the sky- not to mention a few other things.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11477
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:07 pm

indyflick wrote:But if you're driving in the rain, won't that also happen? Perhaps it's beneficial to the environment to wash your car on a regular basis at a car wash which recycles the water to remove that material.
What rain ? We don't get anything like that here in Seattle :roll:
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
JPVLeaf
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:32 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:53 pm

indyflick wrote:
evnow wrote:
Boomer23 wrote:Dilemma on car washes. I've read that retail car washes are better environmentally because the water is recycled (Southern Cal "Be Water Wise"). So I've been paying for my car washes for years rather than wash that water and detergent down the sewer to the ocean.
At least here in WA - car wash is the #1 cause of water pollution.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... unoff.html
In the article they say, "Even washing a car without soap or with biodegradable soap is a no-no if the water runs off into storm drains, because it still picks up oil, grease and metals from the vehicle's brake pads."
We have been DIY car washers for some time. I may have to rethink this practice. However, I did learn some cities, such as Irvine, employ some level of treatment prior to releasing the storm water into the ocean. Phew. :?

http://www.irwd.com/about-us/irwd-basic ... highlight2

"Urban Runoff Treatment
Rain and urban runoff - from landscaping, car washing and other outdoor uses - flow into storm drains and out to the ocean bringing a wide variety of pollutants along for the ride. While counties and cities have primary responsibility for storm drains, IRWD began an innovative program in the early 1990's to use reconstructed wetlands to naturally treat urban runoff before it flows to the ocean. IRWD's Natural Treatment System diverts water from San Diego Creek to wetlands for a period of 7-10 days. Plants and soils within the ponds naturally remove nitrates and other pollutants from the water before it returns, much cleaner, to the creek to continue its journey to Upper Newport Bay and the ocean."
-jp
.
R 4/20/10, RAQ 9/3/10,
O 9/10/10, D 6/6/11
72k mi @ 50 mo, #1 [new batt @ 39 mos.]
33k mi @ 34 mo, #2

n8kwx
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Why is the brake fluid rated for 30k miles / 24 months???

This seems like a much more intensive schedule than most cars.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6677
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:41 pm

n8kwx wrote:Why is the brake fluid rated for 30k miles / 24 months???

This seems like a much more intensive schedule than most cars.

$$ Perhaps. Never replaced brake fluid that soon.

User avatar
ttweed
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317
Location: La Jolla, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Factory Maintenance Schedule-Ideas?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:38 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
n8kwx wrote:Why is the brake fluid rated for 30k miles / 24 months???
This seems like a much more intensive schedule than most cars.
$$ Perhaps. Never replaced brake fluid that soon.
Every two years is a very reasonable interval for brake fluid replacement. Many experts have long recommended changing the brake fluid every year or two for preventative maintenance. Their rationale is based on the fact that glycol-based brake fluid starts to absorb moisture from the moment it is put in the system. The problem is obviously worse in wet climates where humidity is high. After only a year of service, the brake fluid in the average vehicle may contain as much as two percent water. After 18 months, the level of contamination can be as high as three percent. And after several years of service, it is not unusual to find brake fluid that contains as much as seven to eight percent water. Water contamination increases the danger of brake failure because vapor bubbles can form if the fluid gets too hot. Three percent water will lower the boiling point as much as 50%. Vapor displaces fluid and is compressible, so when the brakes are applied the pedal may go all the way to the floor without slowing the vehicle. Anyone who has done "spirited" performance driving and experienced this "brake fade" will agree that the relatively small expense of flushing the brake fluid is well worth it.

In addition to the safety issue, water-laden brake fluid promotes corrosion and pitting in caliper pistons and bores, wheel cylinders, master cylinders, steel brake lines and ABS modulators.

Only General Motors and Chrysler do not mention brake fluid in their scheduled maintenance recommendations. In Europe, brake fluid changes are often recommended. BMW says the fluid should be changed every two years. Honda recommends a flush & fill every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. Subaru also recommends a 30,000 mile brake fluid change. Volkswagen recommends changing the fluid every two years, and clearly states this in their owners manuals, as does Porsche.

I change mine every year, as I live 3 blocks from the ocean, and high humidity from fog is common. It is a simple procedure and can be done in an hour for a cost of $10-12 (the cost of a liter of Dot4 fluid) if you don't mind working on your own cars.

YMMV,
TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

Return to “Engineering”